FUE vs FUSS

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
i pretty much know about fuss because it is the most common of transplants, but what is the word on fue.

i am a diffuse thinner and i am on minoxidil and propecia. my hair hasnt really stopped hairloss or improved. for the most part i have coverage, although it is thin. since the start of minoxidil, my hairline has really thinned and receeded, but it still isnt worse than a norwood 2. if my crown continues to get thinner, i would probably resort to shaving my entire head with a very low guard, but my main concern is my hairline and how it would look shaved down. what i want is a nice shapely hairline that would look good shaved. for this, i hope that i can get a transplant for the hairline, and worry about the crown later. i know i cant shave my head with an fuss transplant, so im wanting to know what the differences are between fue and fuss besides the price.

if i were to get < 500 transplants to my hairline, what is the success rate of the transplants growing, and what kind of result can they achieve with density on the hairline with that amount of transplants??

what does the donor area look like when shaved, and when the hair is grown out?? is it even noticeable to yourself that your hair is thinner in back??

is there any reason why fue is not as good of a method of transplant and why?? give me some pros and cons of both please.

im trying to decide what i should do, because i want a nice hairline, but i also fear that my entire head might get too thin and force me to shave it down. for this i would prefer to have a nice face framing hairline but also no scar. if fuss is much better in every way except for the scar, i would like to know what the opinions are of these methods and which one is best.

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
This is how I understand FUE and FUSS, from reading a bit on Alvi Armani's website (I've never had an hair transplant myself).

The difference between FUE and FUSS:

basically, they're they same thing done in different ways. With FUSS and FUE they use the same tools to 'harvest' the hairs (cut the follicles out of the flesh) but with FUE they do it on your head and with FUSS they cut out a piece of flesh and so they can do the harvesting on a table or somesuch or on the floor ... where ever. Apparantly that's why it takes several days with FUE to do the same amount of grafts as they could do in just one day with FUSS. Hence the price difference. So FUE is a fuss, FUSS is much less of a fuss. haha

The advantage is fue doesn't leave a scar so you can shave your head. So except for the price and the scar, the results should be the same. I can imagine that if you would have a large FUE hair transplant - many grafts - the donor area could start to look pretty damn thin.

How dense 500 grafts would make your hairline, I don't have a clue at all about that. Your plan sounds a bit crazy to me, but that's your own decision of course. Are you using any treatments (minoxidil, finasteride)?

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
How dense 500 grafts would make your hairline, I don't have a clue at all about that. Your plan sounds a bit crazy to me, but that's your own decision of course. Are you using any treatments (minoxidil, finasteride)?

propecia just over 1 year, minoxidil for 3 months.

why does it sound crazy?? my main concern is that my hairline makes a good frame for my face. although my hair is getting finer all over, the places that is going to be hardest to conceil is the hairline, that has receeded some, and the back where my cowlick is now more noticeable. what i really want to do is wear my hair real short like i did in high school. im to the point where i dont care if i show some scalp, but i do care that i have a good looking outline or hair shadow where my hair is growing for short hair. just as long as i dont have any bare *** bald spots, and the density is consistant all the way through, i could probably live with that. i dont however want to live with bald spots and a high forehead.

if the future has me losing hair in the crown, and it gets to be too big of a job and too expensive, i would go for the fuss, but i wouldnt be as worried about shaving my head with a 1 or 2 guard if i had a hairline that framed my face better. the one thing i dont like about shaving your head is that most of the time you can see the pattern, and most of the time those guys have no hair in the front. i want a good hairline in front if nothing else. i would probably sacrifice hair density for a good looking hairline because shaving my head wouldnt be as big of an issue if it came down to it. if this is a bad idea, i would like to hear why. that is why i am asking these questions and telling my plan.

i am wondering though, how many grafts it takes to keep the same hairline shape but lower it a half of an inch or so. not that anyone would know specifically for my situation, but if anyone knows a generalization about how much it takes to do hairlines would help give me an idea. i have a relatively small head.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
FUE has the same sucess rate as FUSS for growing back hair, just like mentioned above the two methods of extraction are different. Fue takes single grafts from your head(rember a sigle graft includes 3-4 hairs, and it's by the graft that hair transplant's are priced), while FUSS takes a strip from the back of your head. FUE in my opinion is better because theres a much larger donor supply to take from.

Now to answer your question about density. This depends on the desity you want to acheive, ands thats something you should discuss with a surgeon, but generally speaking they put 50-60 grafts for every square cm for high density, like in the front, and probally 30-40 hairs around the cown area. So you need to figure out how much area you want to cover, and whats relasistic relative to your donor supply. I'm not a doctor but this the general concensus from talking to hair transplant surgeons. There's another froum that deals especially with hair transplant's.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/

Most of your answers to hair transplants will be in here

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Moving this to the surgical thread.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Another difference is that with FUE the donor area, which is most of the sides and back of your head, needs to be shaved. With FUSS it does not.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
Another difference is that with FUE the donor area, which is most of the sides and back of your head, needs to be shaved. With FUSS it does not.

There was something I was wondering about this, if your head is shaved down like this, and they mosquitoe bite your head for grafts, how long will it be before you look normal again.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should look normal when your hair grows back out.

I believe it takes longer to look normal in the recipient area. I understand that there can be redness there for weeks.