FUE vs. FUSS

bighurt

Reaction score
i saw a few posts touching on this, but it would be nice to have an "official" post with everyone's thoughts/input/advice/preference between these two methods.

cost is obviously the first difference, but personally, i'm not going to let cost affect my decision between the two.

so aside from cost, what are everyone's thoughts? obviously the lack of scarring is a big advantage of FUE. also, i've heard that FUE is better for hairline work. the reason for this is that single-unit grafts (as opposed to double or triple) are the best to use for the hairline and with FUE they can specifically select how many of each type (single, double, triple) they choose for donating. so, if they know they need 1,000 hairs for the hairline, they can specifically harvest 1,000 single follicular units. with FUSS, they will know that they're going to transplant a total of 2,000 units, 1000 of which they hope to use on the hairline, but then find that out of that 2,000 graft strip, only 850 are single follicular units.

with FUSS, the advantage that seems to be most talked about on message boards is a higher growth rate (maybe 95+% of transplants will grow to terminal, thick hairs) than FUE (anyone have personal experiences with FUE where they can relay their success rate of transplants?).

is there other issues to consider? does one type of procedure lead to more donor hairs being available down the road? anything else i'm missing?

what are peoples thoughts on who the best FUE doctors are? there already seems to be more of a clear consensus on who the best FUSS doctors are (armani, rahal, bernstein, hassan and wong, etc).

anyway, all thoughts, experiences, pictures, etc. are greatly appreciated.

bighurt

Reaction score
one other benefit i've heard about FUE, again relating to hairline work. the hair on the sides of the head is usually much more similar in texture/appearance to the hair in your hairline than the hair from the back of your head. the hair in the back of your head where a strip is taken in FUSS, is usually slightly thicker/darker hair which is great for filling in the top of the head, but is not as good for filling in the hairline.

hairtech

Established Member
Reaction score
Not a good assuption taken into the fact two things...

1. Strips usually extend to the sides of the head and not just the back.

2. Shapiro... The God father of hairlines does not perform much FUE work.