Fue Recovery Process - Unshaven Recipient Area

jakep

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm 32, currently somewhere between a N2 and N3. No diffuse thinning. Have been on Propecia for 3 years and loss has at least stabilised.

I am currently considering/researching a FUE procedure of somewhere around 2000 grafts. Not looking for a full hairline but rather a slightly wider frontal region.

I understand that around 2 weeks post-op the transplanted hair will shed, and then start to return after around 4 months, and continue to reach full effect after 12-18 months.

My question is, if no shock loss occurs, and if the recipient area is unshaven, how long would it take before I looked as I did pre-op? That is, with no new hair, but with no less hair then I went into the op with.

My current considerations are I'm happy to wait a year or more before I benefit from the procedure, if I could reasonably expect to spend that year looking like I did prior to the op.

My second question, which is linked to the first, is, what is the likelihood of shock loss after a procedure which does not involve transplanting into diffuse areas? And, if shock loss does occur, how long does it typically take to recover?

Many thanks

Jake

Detour

My Regimen
Reaction score
Recovery time in the recipient area and shock loss are very unpredictable. Some recover quickly, some never recover, most suffer minor temporary shock loss/redness, but in a few months are back to normalish. It makes this whole thing very hard to research and feel comfortable about because you will get conflicting answers on everything. Surgeon skill definitely has a big impact, but biology is a huge wild card you can't control.

jakep

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Detour.

I'm quite keen on having the recipient site unshaven, and I already have the donor area shaved quite close, so I am hoping that once the transplanted hairs fall out post-op my hair, at the front at least, looks like it did pre-op. Basically that after say a month or so so you wouldn't be able to tell I'd had anything done. I guess that all depends on any shock loss.

Detour

My Regimen
Reaction score
For 2000 grafts that sounds about right. There are lingering affects that you will notice, but the odds of a co-worker/friend noticing are small.

bartoow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a hairtransplant 4 months ago, 1700 grafts. After a month or so not much was noticeable anymore, however some redness on recipient area persisted till 3 months. Initially I opted for an unshaven transplant, but the surgeon insisted on fully shaven for a better result. So he was better able to place grafts between my existing hair for a smoother transition.

meangreen

My Regimen
Reaction score
I came back to work 10 days after a 1200 FUE and got many questions asking whose chainsaw it was and who tied me down. I kept the top long at the suggestion of my surgeon to hide receipient scabs, so it was probably because of this contrast that it was noticed, and anyways the scabs were already gone, so in retrospect it wasn't the best idea. I would suggest getting a buzzcut weeks before and then coming back 7 to 14 days later to avoid such commentary and any suspicion.

Last edited: