FUE NW3

cgskywalker6

Reaction score
I am a LONG time lurker on these forums, but this is my first post. I would like to start by thanking all of you for the life changing advice, and support that this forum has provided me with.

I started suffering from male pattern baldness in my early 20s. I got on propecia in my late 20s. I started rogaine, and nizoral shampoo about two years ago. I have stabilized my hair loss at a NW3 ish - I am 38 now. Even though my hair loss is stable, I stopped it at a weird place. I basically have one style option - comb forward. I have been doing this since my 20s. I am ready to do something about it!

I am interested in FUE, and I would like to go as conservative as possible. I have no problem with a mature hairline. I would be happy with a full NW3, or a Norwood 2.5 (a la Steve Nash). I want to do the minimum number of grafts I can get away with.

I am aware of many of the leading hair transplant surgeons, but I want ya'lls opinion, and advice. Please view my photographs. All advice / recommendations will be valued, and greatly appreciated.

Money is not an issue, but I would prefer to stay in the USA for the procedure. I am only interested in FUE.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Sincerely,

Your brother in the battle.

Attachments

• 20131129_150809.jpg
    20131129_150809.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 20131129_150849.jpg
    20131129_150849.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,154
  • 20131129_150925.jpg
    20131129_150925.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,176

imalwayscold

Reaction score
I have the same hairline, asked the same question and got a terrible reply. You will be lucky to get any beneficial advice on here because youre only a norwood 3. most people wait longer or im told. I wasn't able to get a price in my thread.

Abercrombie

Reaction score
I absolutely think you're a candidate for a hair transplant. You have nice hair for being 38 years old and with a conservative FUE performed by a top doctor
I'm pretty sure you would see some really nice results. It is true though that you will most likely continue to lose hair in the future but at 38 the doctor
can probably do an alright estimation of where you are headed and create some kind of master plan for you.

Best of luck!

Petchsky

Reaction score
I think FUE with a conservative amount of grafts can you give you a really great result, and at 38, and a long time user of finasteride you are a good candidate.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss can eventually stabilise, not everybody goes completely bald with our without treatment.

This.

However, there's no way to tell how things will turn out.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am interested in FUE, and I would like to go as conservative as possible. I have no problem with a mature hairline. I would be happy with a full NW3, or a Norwood 2.5 (a la Steve Nash). I want to do the minimum number of grafts I can get away with.

I am aware of many of the leading hair transplant surgeons, but I want ya'lls opinion, and advice. Please view my photographs. All advice / recommendations will be valued, and greatly appreciated.

Money is not an issue, but I would prefer to stay in the USA for the procedure. I am only interested in FUE.

Wait for Pilofocus from Dr. Wesley.

FUE still causes scarring. If money is not an issue, and you want a minimal procedure, youre only option RIGHT NOW should be Dr. Gho. Otherwise, Pilofocus will be superior to any procedure with the potential benefit of donor regeneration. Pilofocus should be confirmed by around April of this year.

You've come this far with your hair loss, waiting a few more months should be no problem. Good luck!

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been leaning towards Cole. He just does FUE and is realistic.

It's scarring that big of an issue if you don't cut your hair short? Plan for me is 1500 then 1000 1-2 years out. No sense in being miserable hoping for the perfect fix that might come in 5 years.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been leaning towards Cole. He just does FUE and is realistic.

It's scarring that big of an issue if you don't cut your hair short?

only because you cannot predict where and how your hair situation would end up down the road.

cgskywalker6

Reaction score
**Update - I put a deposit down with Dr. Rahal, and I have a date at the end of May. They are estimating 2000 grafts, but that seems high to me. I hope when I see him in person that I am able to go much more conservative. Below 1500 grafts. My goals are modest.

Thoughts guys?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
**Update - I put a deposit down with Dr. Rahal, and I have a date at the end of May. They are estimating 2000 grafts, but that seems high to me. I hope when I see him in person that I am able to go much more conservative. Below 1500 grafts. My goals are modest.

Thoughts guys?
Best luck man,
Just got back today, will post pics soon.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

Thoughts guys?

What's the cost on 2,000 grafts?

cgskywalker6

Reaction score
What's the cost on 2,000 grafts?

Everything said, and done - 20k ish. May I ask why you inquire?

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing I will mention is that my family usually ends up NW3. My Dad is a strong NW3, and he is 72. My family stops at NW2 or NW3 generally - some are thicker than others, and the pattern in the temple recession varies. I am hoping my genes are working in my favor. Several of you mentioned family hair histoy, and hair loss predictability.

I posted two more pics that show what my goals are.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,120
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 648

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything said, and done - 20k ish. May I ask why you inquire?

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing I will mention is that my family usually ends up NW3. My Dad is a strong NW3, and he is 72. My family stops at NW2 or NW3 generally - some are thicker than others, and the pattern in the temple recession varies. I am hoping my genes are working in my favor. Several of you mentioned family hair histoy, and hair loss predictability.

I posted two more pics that show what my goals are.

I'm thinking of getting an hair transplant, but preferably Pilofocus with Dr. Wesley whenever he gets off his *** and releases the treatment to the public.

I've got the same kind of hair loss as you, and my maternal grandfather died at 77 as an NW3... became an NW3 in his early 20s and stayed that way. I became an NW3 in my early 20s, I'm now 30 years old and still an NW3. Like you, Im hoping my genes are working in my favour.

cgskywalker6

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an hair transplant, but preferably Pilofocus with Dr. Wesley whenever he gets off his *** and releases the treatment to the public.

I've got the same kind of hair loss as you, and my maternal grandfather died at 77 as an NW3... became an NW3 in his early 20s and stayed that way. I became an NW3 in my early 20s, I'm now 30 years old and still an NW3. Like you, Im hoping my genes are working in my favour.

NW3 is a weird one... You have hair but you are on the verge of what I consider "game over". You have VERY limited hairstyle options - I have one! Comb forward, and keep it tight on the sides & back. I am like you, in that I became NW3 in my 20s (26 maybe?), and have been a NW3 since (38 now).

When I was Norwood 2.5 in my early 20s, an NW3 in my late 20s - it felt like the end of the world. Now that I am 38 I feel more comfortable, but still not comfortable enough to be the best version of me I can be. Feeling attractive is a critical part of life - it leads to enhanced confidence (I believe), and I am ready to do something about the cloud over my head. Some guys rock the shaved head look, but I cannot. It looks SOO bad on me.

I have wanted an hair transplant for 10 years - I went to a surgeon around ten years ago to check it out. I passed, and have been following the progress of hair transplants off, and on. I am tired of waiting on the next thing. I feel the procedures are good now (with the right surgeon & a little
luck!), and I am just going to do it.

If in 2-5 years something new pops up - I will be the first in line. I just want to move on with my life now.

Thanks for your reply - Ive read a lot of your posts over the years - when I was just a lurker, and not an actual member. Your sig rules btw!

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
If something does come out it's not going to be cheap. No sense waiting and being miserable. Waiting for financial reasons or to see how you respond to meds (I.e. 1 year) I understand

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
If something does come out it's not going to be cheap. No sense waiting and being miserable. Waiting for financial reasons or to see how you respond to meds (I.e. 1 year) I understand

Pilofocus is worth waiting for; NO scarring at all.

cgskywalker6

Reaction score
Pilofocus is worth waiting for; NO scarring at all.

Realistically when will it available?

Are the extractions scar-less? Is anything different being done in the way the recipient area hairs are inserted?

Even if it is scar-less, isn't the insertion of the grafts equally important?

Is Dr. Wesley's hairline work on par with Rahal?