FUE - new candidate

ReN

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been following this forum for several months now and have finally embarked on my journey towards more hair on my head.

I have finalised a doctor in India - Dr R (very well known through a cousin of mine who is a doctor). I am not willing to name him yet - but will do so later. Dr R is a very skilled and experienced cosmetic surgeon with advanced degrees in General Surgery, Craniofacial surgery and Aesthetic Surgery.

I have attached my pics here. This is as of 2 weeks ago. I have started supplements from today 4 Jan (Minoxidil (2%), Propecia (1 mg) as well as a host of other general supplements.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Dr R calculates hair as per hair and not per graft. The reason he gives for this is that a graft can contain anywhere from 1 to 3 hair. Is this calculation normal?

2. Dr R can do 1000 - 1200 hair per session and recommends that I have 3 sessions, each spread 6 months apart totalling 3600 hair. Based on my attached pics, will this do it for me? Please note that I am looking to continue maintaining a shaved or near to shaved look as it suits me. I just want it to look like I have more hair, therefore density is not a very big issue. I am also worried about scarring in the donor area though Dr R mentions that I should still be able to continue shaving my head without it looking too terrible.

I look forward to your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
ReN

Attachments

• front-1.gif
    front-1.gif
    100.2 KB · Views: 254
  • front-2.gif
    front-2.gif
    115.6 KB · Views: 258
  • side-1a.gif
    side-1a.gif
    96.4 KB · Views: 226
  • back-1.gif
    back-1.gif
    124 KB · Views: 257

s.a.f

Reaction score
1). No its not normal you should be paying by the graft not by the hair since each follicle is extraced the same way. Sounds like he's trying to pull a scam to charge more.

2). This idea sounds very questionable as I'm sure that once you get more hairs on your head you'll have the overwhelming desire to grow it out in which case 3600 is'nt nearly enough for a NW6. You'll need double that. But we'll see how it looks as stubble wether the extra hair will be enough to give the appearance that you're not bald. I doubt it though because those tiny grafts of stubble not grown out wont really be enough to stop the shine from the light reflecting off your skin.

ReN

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
1). No its not normal you should be paying by the graft not by the hair since each follicle is extraced the same way. Sounds like he's trying to pull a scam to charge more.

2). This idea sounds very questionable as I'm sure that once you get more hairs on your head you'll have the overwhelming desire to grow it out in which case 3600 is'nt nearly enough for a NW6. You'll need double that. But we'll see how it looks as stubble wether the extra hair will be enough to give the appearance that you're not bald. I doubt it though because those tiny grafts of stubble not grown out wont really be enough to stop the shine from the light reflecting off your skin.

S.A.F: Thanks for the post! I am not worried about the cost per hair per se as it's quite fair. I am looking more at the usage of the term 'hair' v/s 'graft'. I think it's probably fairer to call it hair - ultimately that's what we want right? In fact I think that the charge by graft method is more questionable, given that the actual number of hair per graft vary. I may be wrong here - but as an example could any one tell me for sure exactly how many grafts make up 3600 hair?

Your point about 3600 hair being too less is noted. The very reason I started this thread was because I (like a lot of us out there) have done a lot of research over the years and 3600 hair on my head did not seem much at all. But I wanted an opinion from guys here here who have got hair transplant done at a similar stage of Norwood. That and the fact that some of the scar marks I have seen after FUE makes the whole idea of shaving down after hair transplant seem rather questionable though DR R assures me that I could continue shaving my head with no more than a small scar visible.

Cheers,
ReN

ReN

Reaction score
dudemon: Thanks for the post. I trust Dr R and I'm sure the job will be good - that is not my concern.

My major concern is the number of hair - even though I am going in for a hair line that I would naturally have at 42 (I am currently 37). Plus, I am going in for a shaved/buzzed look so hopefully I should be able to give the illusion of having more hair with less density and to stop the lights shining off my head :)

Having said that, at this stage, I am not really sure if 3600 hair (about 2000 grafts) will do it for me.

Cheers,
ReN

Krispin

Banned
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Also, 3,600 hairs is not nearly enough for the amount of hairloss you have. Like s.a.f. said, you will need atleast double that many - if not triple that amount, in my opinion.

For his hair loss, a skilled physician will be able to achieve satisfactory coverage with around 7000 grafts, not the triple 11000 grafts that you stated. 7000 will achieve a look that crosses the threshold between balding and acceptable hair.

-Krispin

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
He is stating he is getting LESS than 3600 grafts.. he is getting 3600 HAIRS.

Ren - Let me tell you - all respectable hair transplant docs use the "graft" as the standard metric.. if your doctor does not, that should send out a red flag.

If you are so confident in your Dr.'s still, you should be confident in his assessment of how many grafts (or hairs) you need.. obviously this is not the case.

In my opinion, you are a very risky FUE candidate. You have too much ground to cover.

I would send your pics to Hasson and Wong.. as well as Shapiro and ask for their opinions.. Feller as well.

Shapiro and Feller both do FUE and Strip.. they can give a very good opinion. My guess is Feller won't even think about doing FUE on you.. Shapiro may.. get their opinions ASAP before making any rash decisions you can regret.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
richlocks said:
He is stating he is getting LESS than 3600 grafts.. he is getting 3600 HAIRS.

Ren - Let me tell you - all respectable hair transplant docs use the "graft" as the standard metric.. if your doctor does not, that should send out a red flag.

If you are so confident in your Dr.'s still, you should be confident in his assessment of how many grafts (or hairs) you need.. obviously this is not the case.

In my opinion, you are a very risky FUE candidate. You have too much ground to cover.

I would send your pics to Hasson and Wong.. as well as Shapiro and ask for their opinions.. Feller as well.

Shapiro and Feller both do FUE and Strip.. they can give a very good opinion. My guess is Feller won't even think about doing FUE on you.. Shapiro may.. get their opinions ASAP before making any rash decisions you can regret.
Everything richlocks said. I'd suggest Hasson&Wong too.