Fue In Thailand - Not The Best Decision I've Ever Made... (pics)

Zmaverick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a 26Yo guy that's been suffering with hair loss since his early 20s.

I'm 2 weeks post OP at the moment and did my 2000 FUE treatment in Thailand with HHH clinic and Dr Viroj in Bangkok. I had my doubts going into the operation before hand, Dr Viroj and his assistant really did nothing to calm me down about it or explain the proceedings.

I did have a preliminary consultation which outlined what I would like to do but on the day of the surgery I was just ushered into the surgery room without any conversation with the doctors. I had no hair line drawings or anything and It was only when they had my on the operating chair that I asked them to please stop all this rush and let me ask some questions. The plan was 1500 grafts in the back and 500 around the sides toward the front.

My treatment was to be a FUE, mostly in the back where most of my balding was happening. They nodded and proceeded me forward. Dr Viroj wasn't actually doing the surgery himself but rather had an assistant do it while he supervised. He could tell I was nervous and so he did explain each step to me as it happened. They numbed my scalp quite well and i fell nothing, in fact I dosed off. This i regret, because i couldn't actually see what they were doing

Immediately after the surgery, these are the results. >> See Photos
postopback.jpg

postopdoner.png

postoptop.jpg

Here's the same about 7 days later when you can see the grafts more clearly with the scabbing

7daysbacktop.jpg

7days side.jpg

10 days back
7days back.jpg

It really doesn't look like they did 1500 grafts in the back... or 2000 grafts overall to be honest. hat do you guys think?

In fact, this might not even be 2k Grafts all together and it isn't blended very well with the existing hairline or possible future balding at all.

This really sucks, the treatment cost just over $6k USD and the experience was not pleasant.

Cheers,

Z

Last edited:

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
not a very professional hair transplant job imo. after some time, when you lose more hair, you will need another hair transplant, or just need to shave it bald. no doubt. it doesn't seem this Doctor took into consideration the density of the grafts, or the future balding.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your bad experience man. Why did you choose that place? 6k seems a lot for a Thai procedure.

It seems like areas have been missed. Most noticeably in the crown, where the thinning has been filled in, there is a gap between thick native hair and the transplants. This will look bad from the start, let alone when you lose more hair. A real shabby job has been done. Dont worry too much as a decent surgeon can work with what they have done and maybe add another 1500 to really fix/fill in your hair.

Zmaverick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses... Do you guys think this actually looks like 2k grafts? And more importantly 1.5k in the back?

Zmaverick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well he had some good reviews to begin with and was one of the most established doctors there. He also spoke decent english and studied in America so I thought it would be my best shot.

I don't really know if there's anything I can do about it at this point... I don't think he did a professional job or followed what we discussed so I would like to confront him.

Sorry about your bad experience man. Why did you choose that place? 6k seems a lot for a Thai procedure.

It seems like areas have been missed. Most noticeably in the crown, where the thinning has been filled in, there is a gap between thick native hair and the transplants. This will look bad from the start, let alone when you lose more hair. A real shabby job has been done. Dont worry too much as a decent surgeon can work with what they have done and maybe add another 1500 to really fix/fill in your hair.

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses... Do you guys think this actually looks like 2k grafts? And more importantly 1.5k in the back?

Definitely cant be 1.5k in the back. You could somewhat count the scabs to get an idea.

Zmaverick

My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely cant be 1.5k in the back. You could somewhat count the scabs to get an idea.

Yeah so it's clear these guys totally failed to live up to expectation... I'm actually really angry about this because I don't have a whole lot of money and time to spend on another treatment.

What can someone do in a case like this?

I want to contact the doctor and tell him that he failed to live up to his part of the deal and I want to be compensated to fix the problem... Maybe I should get tis reviewd by another medical professional to prove that it's not 2k grafts?

Any advice would really help :(

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
sorry for you bro, but i am am shocked ; how can someone in 2017 can chose a thai surgeon to perform something as dangerous and important as a hair transplant? and you spent 6 k !

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
i asked about where u live cos like other guy said i was just wondering why you went to thailand. i dont know too much about hair transplants and who the best etc, but i would have thought youd be crazy to go somewhere like that. ive seen some f*****g horror shows from that country. im sure they have some decent doctors in australia dont they?

im not sure what you can from here regarding compensation. maybe some of the other guys here can help.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
man looks like you got aggressive hairloss, head for nw6 at least. (without meds/hair transplant)

i know this wont mean much right now, but you have a hairline still with quite a bit of hair on top and what looks like a decent shaped head. if it comes it, i think you could pull off the buzz look well.

Zmaverick

My Regimen
Reaction score
man looks like you got aggressive hairloss, head for nw6 at least. (without meds/hair transplant)

i know this wont mean much right now, but you have a hairline still with quite a bit of hair on top and what looks like a decent shaped head. if it comes it, i think you could pull off the buzz look well.

That's some small consultation but I didn't pay this amount of money to continue having a buzz look...

I think it's established the back is not 1500 grafts, I just counted and it seems like 750 max. I would love to get this confirmed by another trusted surgeon so I can take this back to Dr Viroj and ask for compensation. Still interested to hear advice on disputing this if anyone has it.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It looks like you had your temples and the crown done, with probably 800 for the temples and 1200 for the crown. If that is right then it looks like they did that much. Your crown would really need 3000 to get the coverage you want.

It looks to me like they went too high on you sides to extract some of the grafts, the best ones are lower in the central area.

It's not as bad as it looks though, I would wait to see how they come in before panicking.

Oncall

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would wait and let things settle down. I can understand your anger and frustration. Personally I think if you pursue this you will be throwing good money after bad. You really want to wait to see what the results are in 12 months. As to the number of grafts query you will just have to put it behind you and just focus on the end result. I'm from Australia (Melbourne) and wish you well mate.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
A few points:
1) Unless they gave you a formal count of your grafts, it is hard to know anything. They may have given you what you paid for, but who knows.
2) Honestly, in the end this may look just fine. You have to wait and see.
3) I do worry about how high and low they went in your donor area. I have a thread about this in the FUE section here about going outside the safe zone and I worry they did that in your case. If so you may need some revision work in years to come.

Overall, don't panic. Wait it out and see how it goes.

HairForDays

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anytime a surgeon allows a tech to do the procedure you are in trouble. Technicians have limited skills and will not know how to treat a complicated case. No one knows their transection rate. Worst of all, clinics hire other doctors technicians. If the tech that was supposed to work on you is hired by someone else you have a rookie learning her first case on you. A hair transplant is something that will last you a lifetime. If you could choose one car to drive the rest of your life I am sure it would not be a Ford Pinto. It would have been better to have waited and had FUE in the states despite the higher cost. Plus, I know a doctor that guarantees every graft will grow, or he will replace them for free.

Shanaya Sharma

My Regimen
Reaction score
My office colleague from Thailand visited India for hair transplant in my hometown (Cuttack, Odisha, India) to a clinic called Aesthetica Aesthetic & Cosmetics Pvt. Ltd. and it went well and great. He looks like a guy who never lost his hair ever.