Frustrated with chronic telogen effluvium.. any success stories?

Jhair123

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve found maintaining a positive attitude helps so much, but can be so hard when dealing with hair loss for so long. I found this video and it def helped me come to terms with what I’m dealing with and helped me maintain a positive attitude, even through the toughest times. Maybe it can help others too:

Farrah711

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering how things are now with your situation? I have had Telogen effluvium for 8 months and it's not slowing down. Mine started with a round patch which luckily filled back in (they thought alopecia at first)but then started shedding all over with the bulb ends. I had to cut my hair short to hide how thin it's become. I get re-growth but a lot tends to fall out again within a month. My ferratin levels were 14 at the start and now up to 50 but it hasn't made any difference.

I've added a pic of my hair before, halfway and now. I'm worried that I'm not getting any regrowth right at the front middle of my hair line which i have to hide! It's been such a horrible time and I feel so ugly and less like going out now. Reading all these similar stories really helps. I'll also mention that I've never had dandruff before and it started when this did and a really painful scalp. I can't wear my hair up anymore as it hurts too much. Would love to hear a success story!View attachment 86886

Farrah711

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes.. just met another dermatologist/trichologist last weekend. As expected he diagnosed it as chronic telogen effluvium saying its due to nutritional deficiencies.. says this will take a long time to correct as these deficiencies happen over a period of many years and hair start shedding only when the body reserves deplete badly.... he's put in down to protein .. though i suspect iron to be the culprit too...
Hoping this rectifies soon :(

hairwoes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have any ladies had any experience with finasteride or saw palmetto (topical or oral) for androgenic alopecia and pcos? If so, what dosage did you take and what results? I've been on birth control and spirolactone before but they've stopped working on me now. Many thanks!

Farrah711

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi
I saw your regrowth (the standing up pieces) ?
I have no clue if my hair is growing..just that my roots keep growing.
I am taking the iron that the md told me to get. I have gained weight stressing and hiding eating protein galore.
Just feel like crap. Thank goodness I am not working.
I started giving myself B12 shots ever other day.
Derm apt sept 6
Hoping for cooler weather so I can cover up.

hairwoes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Farah, I am so sorry to hear that. You might be mistaking me for someone else. I didn't post pictures yet. Keeping fingers crossed for Sep 6 and really hoping all will go well!

Juneworldcup

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just joined. I started intense shedding 10 months ago due to a stressful situation. My scalp hurts, burns and itches - hair fall out wherever it burns and itches.

No derm/doctor has managed to solve this mystery but I think I may be getting to the solving it. Here's what I think happened -

Due to stress, my gut got messed up (I also experienced bloating, alcohol intolerance when I experienced shedding...this had happened twice before during stressful situations in my life). My gut is either causing an autoimmune reaction (leaky gut leading to inflammation and hair loss) or it has lost some key enzymes which metabolize histamine and that huge histamine release in my body causes hair loss. The reason I say that is that I have noticed that my itching and burning increases after I eat.
I now signed up with a holistic but mainstream doctor - she has ordered a stool test that will either confirm or rule out leaky gut. If I don't have a leaky gut, we will need to check for histamine or other key enzyme/bacteria deficiency. In any case, I can see a strict 30 day low inflammation or low histamine diet protocol.

I just did a 24 hour water/herbal teas fast and I felt very low levels of hair pain and itching in the last few hours of my fast. I am tempted to push myself to do a 3 day water fast as that would give a good opportunity to my gut to really heal... anyway, I would love to hear from others and wish everyone all the best in this traumatic situation!

Gunjan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi
Hi Joan..
Have seen 3 derms in last 10 months.. initially they said Telogen Effluvium.. now the latest Doctor termed it as Chronic Telogen Effluvium... he said its coz of nutritional deficiencies of protein. .though when this first started I had low ferritin B12 and Vitamin D.. now most of these have improved however B12 is still low.... My Doctor says.. this is Chronic and takes time to pass and said its tough to say how long will this take...
I always had long thick straight hair... so its painful to see them thinning.. and I don't want to try Rogaine... I read it comes with notorious side effects..
I had post partum Telogen Effluvium that resolved after 3 months... lnterestingly this started 3 months after I stopped breastfeeding. .. No I havn't had a biopsy coz Im regrowing hair alongside too so it seems Telogen Effluvium..but the shedding rate is too high and prolonged... and now frustrating as I don't know when will this correct
Hi sonal,
Howz ur condition? Are you still shedding?
I am in same situation like you post partum hair loss for last 4 years... Which is CTE.. Pls update here..

Anyone who gets success over cte,, pls update here

Farrah711

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi
I am getting results from my Scalp Biopsys wed Nov 14.
If they are anything import I will post
Have a feeling they will be inconsive but at least i feel better doing something bout it.