Frontloading Dutas (2.5 frontload, then 0.5 mg daily) ?

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In the world of steriods, you can "frontload" your system by starting off with stronger doses and tapering off.

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start off at 2.5 mg of dutas a day for a couple of weeks to kick my system off, since it stays in the blood stream so long? Then I could taper down to 0.5 mg daily by the end of two weeks?

Bad idea? Good idea? I know jayman was thinking about this, or even staying on 2.5 mg of dutastride for a year.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think is the significance of the fact that dutasteride stays in your bloodstream so long?

Bryan

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
What do you think is the significance of the fact that dutasteride stays in your bloodstream so long?

Bryan

Let me use fake numbers to express my theory.

Lets say we took a blood test of Jayman's dutastride levels in his bloodsteam. He would have 5 mg worth of dutas in his system because it takes 2 weeks for it to flush out of the system and he takes 0.5 mg dutastride a day.

Now lets take a blood test of me when I take my first dutastride pill. I will only have 0.5 mg of dutastride in my system.

So, by frontloading, I will very quickly catch up to "Jayman's levels" of dutastride in my own system.

Before my male pattern baldness, I was about to do some steriods. I know that the pros will frontload their dutastride levels when they are finishing their cycle. This gives them a boost so they don't have to wait a couple to a few weeks for the dutastride in their bloodsystem to reach levels of those who have taken it consitantly at 0.5 mg a day for months.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. Using a "loading-dose" will allow you to reach the steady-state level much more quickly, if that's what you want to do.

Bryan

G

I didn't do this WoW. I read a Bryan post where he said DHT levels in the follicles were reduced significantly after only two 0.5 mg doses so honestly I would just take that every day. I think after a couple doses you have already matched the Propecia level of inhibition. It may result in having to wait a month or two longer to get regrowth, but I remember Powersam messing around and trying a loading dose and getting a nasty shed.

2.5 mg dutasteride doesn't give THAT much extra regrowth over 0.5 mg a day. I think only like 20% more and there's no indication that the 0.5 mg a day dose could maintain the extra hair regrown from the 2.5 mg dose. after dropping back to 0.5 mg a day after a year, so taking it for one year would be pointless I think.

Honestly, dutasteride does give more regrowth than finasteride, but to me, the bigger benefit of it is the superior maintenance- keeping what you have for a hell of a lot longer. dutasteride will most likely keep your crown and mid scalp nice and thick for decades and then you can get an hair transplant or hair cloning when it comes out to fill in the front, or trying minoxidil of course.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the obvious question here is why would anyone WANT to do a loading dose at the start and rapidly achieve steady-state? One would think that caution would be the order of the day when starting any new drug regimen. If you take a loading dose and then immediately start experiencing side-effects, it's probably gonna be quite a while before those side-effects go away, even if you discontinue the drug immediately! :wink:

It would appear to be more prudent to start taking dutasteride in the recommended way (one capsule per day), and see how you do. If it doesn't agree with you, you can always stop taking it before the levels have built-up too much in your bloodstream.

Bryan

G

Thanks Bryan,

What do you think of this part of my post? Agree/disagree?

JayMan said:
Honestly, dutasteride does give more regrowth than finasteride, but to me, the bigger benefit of it is the superior maintenance- keeping what you have for a hell of a lot longer. dutasteride will most likely keep your crown and mid scalp nice and thick for decades and then you can get an hair transplant or hair cloning when it comes out to fill in the front, or trying minoxidil of course.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I generally agree with that, JayMan. Since there is no long-term data at all for dutasteride and quite possibly never will be, it remains to be seen just how much better it will be at maintenance (only a little better, or moderately better, or a whole lot better). It could fall anywhere within that range, but let's hope it's a whole lot better.

Bryan

G

Bryan said:
I generally agree with that, JayMan. Since there is no long-term data at all for dutasteride and quite possibly never will be, it remains to be seen just how much better it will be at maintenance (only a little better, or moderately better, or a whole lot better). It could fall anywhere within that range, but let's hope it's a whole lot better.

Bryan

i don't see how it could be anything but a whole lot better? It inhibits 90% more type II DHT than Propecia 1.0 mg and 98.5% total of type II after all

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason I was cautious in my statement is that we still can't be sure of the extent to which other androgens (besides DHT) are involved in balding. There's little doubt in my mind that they ARE involved, but how big a role do they play? Just a tiny, insignificant one? A medium-level one? A big one? Until we can get a better answer for that question, and a better idea of what the "threshold" level of DHT is that starts to damage hair follicles significantly, we probably won't know for sure just how much better it is to go from an ~85% inhibition to a 99% inhibition of the type 2 enzyme.

Edit: And yet another confounding variable is my little pet-theory about how at least part of the long-term (5-year) haircount declines in the Propecia study was a result of age-related deterioration, not the remaining DHT per se. What if that theory is actually CORRECT? That would imply that even dutasteride, with its nearly complete DHT suppression, would still experience a certain amount of long-term decline, too. There are just too many variables here to answer your question with any great degree of confidence, but I think it's safe to say that dutasteride will provide _some_ improvement in maintenance.

Bryan

G

Bryan said:
The reason I was cautious in my statement is that we still can't be sure of the extent to which other androgens (besides DHT) are involved in balding. There's little doubt in my mind that they ARE involved, but how big a role do they play? Just a tiny, insignificant one? A medium-level one? A big one? Until we can get a better answer for that question, and a better idea of what the "threshold" level of DHT is that starts to damage hair follicles significantly, we probably won't know for sure just how much better it is to go from an ~85% inhibition to a 99% inhibition of the type 2 enzyme.

Edit: And yet another confounding variable is my little pet-theory about how at least part of the long-term (5-year) haircount declines in the Propecia study was a result of age-related deterioration, not the remaining DHT per se. What if that theory is actually CORRECT? That would imply that even dutasteride, with its nearly complete DHT suppression, would still experience a certain amount of long-term decline, too. There are just too many variables here to answer your question with any great degree of confidence, but I think it's safe to say that dutasteride will provide _some_ improvement in maintenance.

Bryan

Gotcha. What other androgens are at play besides testosterone? I know that plain old test is, but doesn't DHT have 30 times the affinity for the androgen receptor that test does? So when you're knocking 99% out, and even if all the remaining gets converted to test, it seems pretty meaningless.

I hear your age-related decline theory and have thought about it, but if that's all it is, and it's not related to genetics and DHT, then why do some guys without male pattern baldness just get their mature Norwood-2 hairline and never go further than that? Is it because of the conventional wisdom that their androgen receptors aren't genetically sensitive to DHT like those of men with a history of male pattern baldness in their family? If that's the reason, then wouldn't knocking 99% of DHT out, even with the remaining testosterone mean that most men on dutasteride would mirror those non-male pattern baldness men?

Because when you're talking about age-related decline, Bryan, there are men like my grandpa. He's 82 years old and he's about an NW3, but he was an NW2 until his seventies. So he clearly has a mild case of male pattern baldness because anything beyond NW2(maturation of the hairline that happens to 95% of Caucasian males) is technically male pattern baldness. But there are caucasian guys out there who never get worse than NW2 and there are even some caucasian and non-caucasian men who never even lose their juvenile hairline and stay at NW1 or close to it their entire lives.

Basically, what I'm saying to you is this age-related thinning that we've discussed is actually male pattern baldness in most cases, although milder than the typical male pattern baldness that we see on here. That whole stat about how 40% of men in their forties show signs of male pattern baldness, 50% of men in their fifties, and 80% of men in their eighties, etc. Anything beyond the slight recession of the temples that creates the mature hairline is technically male pattern baldness, so it's not just age-related thinning.

And if it is just that slight age-related thinning- are you just referring to hairline maturation?- then it's pretty insignificant relative to male pattern baldness.

Sorry for the convoluted post. :hairy:

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
from the dosing chart you should frontload 2.5 for 10 days then taper back off to .5 daily and you get the max effect.

G

Follically Challenged said:
JayMan, don't you mean "knocking out 93%"?

No.

0.5 mg of dutasteride a day inhibits 98.5% of type II DHT in the follicles. I saw the graphs on Bryan's website and in his posts. Is the 93% number for serum DHT or something? All I know is that I just rounded 98.5% up to 99% for convenience.

G

There are two types of DHT? And yes it was serum DHT.

I thought there was just one type of DHT and two types of 5ar.

Sorry we use them pretty interchangeably on here sometimes.

There are two 5 ar enzymes, type I and type II. Dutasteride 0.5 mg a day blocks 98.5% of the type II 5ar production in the follicles. Bryan argues that this is a more important number than serum DHT.

G

So what's the rationale behind the inhibition of type I 5ar not being especially important in the eyes of some?

I guess the fact that most of the 5ar found in the follicles is type II, type 1 being found mostly in the sebaceous glands from what I understand.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
So what's the rationale behind the inhibition of type I 5ar not being especially important in the eyes of some?

I guess the fact that most of the 5ar found in the follicles is type II, type 1 being found mostly in the sebaceous glands from what I understand.

That, and the fact that specific type 1 inhibitors were found not to have much of an effect on hairloss in both humans and stumptailed macaques.

Bryan