Frontal hair loss and Minoxidil

goodburner

Reaction score
Okay, so I have been using Minoxidil 5% for about 6 months now, and I have absolutely no hair loss at the crown area. It's all concentrated at the frontal part - especially the temples. Before I started using minoxidil, I used to shed a lot. Once I shed so much I thought all my hair in the frontal area was going to disappear.

I bought Minoxidil during that time, and results were quick to appear. The shed stopped immediately and I barely had any hair fall during the showers. Fast forward 6 months, and hair growth has been minimal but so is the shed. When I stopped minoxidil for 2 days, I started shedding like crazy again.

Now, I was wondering why they say it doesn't work for a receding hairline? Maybe because it hasn't been tested properly yet, but they clearly say it doesn't work on receding hairlines.. Why is that? Some FDA requirement?

So how many people use minoxidil for frontal recession only, and how do you apply it? Over the affected area or a little over it? I have been having issues with acne on the forehead and I think it's due to minoxidil. So, how do others here apply it?

I'm 20 years old and I'm thinking of adding Finasteride to the regimen. Is Finpecia alright or do I need to get Propecia? Finpecia is much, much cheaper but I don't want to compromise on quality.

Also, does it like stunt your growth? I have been a late bloomer and still might have a few years of growth left.

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
When minoxidil (rogaine) first came out their studies were conducted on the vertex area, and not on the hairline/frontal regions. Minoxidil will grow and/or thicken hairs on the forehead and even on the back of your hand if you applied it there. When I used minoxidil liquid back in the days I used a lot of it (5-6 mL twice daily), espcially on a damp scalp, I had hairs growing all over my face-literally.

I find the best way to apply it is on a damp scalp (not wet). Wear the rubber surgical gloves (cheap) and gently rub it in as you apply it.

I too developed acne and tons of itching on the scalp but fixed it by adding nizoral 2% shampoo.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
just because they didn't test in everywhere on the head doesn't necessarily mean it won't be effective everywhere there are thinning hairs.

I think though ( I may be wrong) that once a follicle is dead it's completely dead, and nothing, even Minoxidil will bring it back. The follicles on my temple look like they've absoultely vanished - as bare as a baby's bottom, whereas at my crown I still have some weak growth

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
QuantumCat you are mistaken for with your thinking that a follicle dies. I have been on finasteride for 8 mos and minoxidil for 5 months and I apply it to the hairline and forehead. It's kicked into high gear now and a lot of the longer vellus fuzz that was grown and sitting there for months, well much of that is now turning terminal dark hairs. These are areas I haven't had any hair whatsoever in about 15 years. Follicles do not die a permanent death. The guy that skips applications and gets lazy will complain and tell you differently.

NoHairJim

Reaction score
wow, great result! Maybe follicles never die but only go dormant.

I'm seriously considering trying minoxidil just on my temples as I've got nothing to 'lose' (pun intended)

Did you try minoxidil? I'm considering giving it a go if I can get some. I'm serious;y low on hair these days. :sobbing:

Last edited:

lionheart

Reaction score
I have a major m shaped front recede and i use it on the bald bit (drip it on and rub in with fingers) and let the liquid nizoral drip/run back into where i imagine it will recede more and use the plastic dropper thing (pipette?) to sorta massage it into where my fingers can get to under my hair

Rhyzome

Reaction score
minoxidil for about a year

I've been using minoxidil on my front hairline for about a year. It hasnt stopped hairloss but i think it may have slowed it a bit

Goldee Lox

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using minoxidil on my front hairline for about a year. It hasnt stopped hairloss but i think it may have slowed it a bit

Do you recall shedding a lot of hairs when first using minoxidil? Or was it minimal or nonexistent?

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've had better results on the hair line than the vertex although I'm using minoxidil with a few extras, check out my thread on the success stories section of the forum.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sheds are cylical with minoxidil. I've noticed I shed a **** load then grow back healthier. Its a rollercoaster, get used to it.