French team create 'realistic' artificial heart

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Read it on the BBC earlier.

It's a shame the heart lasts less than a day before needin a recharge.

A more integrated energy supply is needed for feasability. Or at least making rat hearts first to test long-term function.

Integrated energy. We metabolize calories and that creates cellular ATP, the energy that powers every cell in our body. Only an organically 'grown' lab heart will properly integrate with the rest of the biological system. By the sound of it, the artificial heart seems very energy intensive to last for less than a day on todays battery technology. A pacemaker lasts years on a single battery.

An internal energy generating system different from cellular ATP is also an option for the artificial heart. Mechanical physics applies not only to wave energy, but blood flow, not only to windmills, but our lungs. Tiny nanosized windmills big enough to be affected by air flow in and out but small enough not to interfere with the intake of oxygen and exhaling of C02? Perhaps energy generated from blood flow, although the energy 'stolen' from those processes should not interfere with it's function. Lack of oxygen over a while and restricted blood flow may just as well be a greater problem than the original condition.

Crocodiles generate energy from sunlight via their skin, it's why they can not eat easily for a month. Maybe biological solar panels... :freak:

I'd also throw in nuclear, but our cells are infact nuclear powered. Same principles. I doub uranium or plutonium inside would make one feel healthier. :puke:

Another option is wireless power. It would have to be very reliable though and the nodes would have to be everywhere and the heart will have a basic computer that charges automatically and stops automatically, and can transmit data on it's status/function etc. Highly concentrated nodes within our environment is essential to feel safe, probably the same concentration as plug sockets. Although outdoors may perhaps also be needed, but if you have an artificial heart, I doubt you'll be outdoors for that long. Let's just say sacrificing camping, holidays in the wilderness, or treks across uninhabited territory, is a small price to pay for a theoretically immortal heart. Combined with continually improving battery technology, may become very convenient one day, thus normalized. Not unfeasible that in 20 years, the heart could last a week on a single charge.

Here's an example of wireless resonation power. Managing to power a blender in real time!

eCoupled wireless power, developed by Alticor subsidiary Fulton Innovation, allows for power and data transfer without cables. The technology has been used in eSpring water filters for some years and will soon be appearing in other consumer electronics

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1PC5DhpouaU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tfQCmerO1 ... re=related

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Providing sufficient power is an obvious sticking point, this is taken from The Times:

"Two options are under study for the power supply, which remains a significant hurdle. One involves implanting a titanium receiver in the skull that would channel energy sent through the skin - without piercing it - from a battery outside the body to the heart. The second would work by a similar method: getting electricity through the skin between two transformers, one inside and one outside the body. Carmat says the battery could last for between 5 and 16 hours, after which it would have to be recharged to prevent the artificial heart stopping."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 026788.ece

I wonder what battery tech. they're using - Nickel-Hydride, Lithium-Ion, etc. - and what size it is? In such a situation I'd be happy to lug around a fairly hefty battery pack to keep my heart pumping if it would allow a long-weekend getaway; that or carry a few spares with you, just don't forget to charge them up.

Of course, like you said, the ability to grow replacement hearts in a lab. is the neatest solution.

Slarti

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
But....wireless power? Have you not seen the blender, without a wire? No wires! Imagine having every device "e-coupled". Imagine having power-nodes replacing power sockets!

Imagine simply tossing your cellphone on the sofa when you get in and then starts charging, imagine a 1200watt vibrator for 12 hour long sessions? Most of all, wireless entertainment, no more cables, put anything anywhere, and it will work.

This must be pursued, wires piss me off, I hate them, I still think they're so dumb and undignified, always have done, bending over plugging in a hole, how idiotic must I look.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Yes, but didn't the modified blender have to sit on an 'e-coupled' enabled work-top to draw power? Great for consumer electronics but a tad restrictive for keeping one's heart ticking over.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
Yes, but didn't the modified blender have to sit on an 'e-coupled' enabled work-top to draw power? Great for consumer electronics but a tad restrictive for keeping one's heart ticking over.

It just had to be somewhat near the source, not on a particular surface. The range is the inconvenience. But in the early stages of something like this, it is no where near perfected. I would imagine a refined, developed product in the future would extend the range to a point where a handful would be required in a single room, for continuous uninterrupted usage. All technologies today with a range of effect, started out with a fraction of that range. Inventions are important, but refinement of them, is what makes them from something useless to something useful.