Free Propecia on the NHS (UK residents only of course)

Britannia

Reaction score
Its possible. I have two friends living in different regions of the UK (i.e. under different PCTs) who have been granted Propecia free of charge on the NHS. It isnt easy and there are certain conditions you must meet:

1) You must be currently getting your Propecia prescription from your local GP.
2) You must also be receiving treatment for either: Depression, anxiety or associated mental health conditions. This treatment can be either medication or counselling.

A little background as to how I found this wonderful little loop hole. Big Chiefs up in central government decided that they simply had to do something to stem the amount of money they were spending treating depression. Its notoriously expensive - not the medications themselves, but the strain it puts on NHS services and the damage it causes to the economy in lost working days. Some bright spark decided that if they could find a way of treating the root cause of depression through non-medical and non-clinical means, it would prove cost effective in the long run. Sounds stupid, but think a little harder and it makes perfect sense. For example, one PCT had the idea of buying pets for certain depressive patients. Stupid? No not really, as these patients had a 65% reduction in GP visits the first 12 months and more importantly this saved the PCT massive amounts of money. Other things paid for by other PCTs incude: aromatherapy, dance classes, holidays (im not kidding), cars and most importantly cosmetic surgery. If a patient was suffering from a depressive illness that could be "cured" by cosmetic surgery (for example a patient anxious and depressed about a disfiguring birth mark or girl depressed about being breastingly challenged) it could be granted. The same principle applies to the free prescription of v**** if impotence is causing mental health issues. So if you are being treated for a mental health illness due to your hairloss, and I know a lot of you are especially the "lurkers" you may have a case. You need to get in touch with your local PCT. Make a case. State what you want. Talk to your GP. You can use the "Im depressed because I can no longer afford my Propecia....." line. OK its playing the system, but arent all systems there to be played? It may well work. Im not going to disclose which PCTs I have known to prescribe Propecia free of charge, certainely my local one does not. Like many things in the NHS it is a total lottery. If any of you try and succeed or fail please post your feedback here. Good luck guys.

Kojack

Reaction score
Faking depression to save a few pounds on Propecia could come back to haunt you in the future as it stays on your medical record forever. Your doctor can sometimes be contacted by the authorities when applying for visa's or when assessing suitability to adopt etc. I wouldn't recommend trying this :nono:

Britannia

Reaction score
If you actually read what is written it quite clearly says "ALREADY receiving treatment for depression". Where exactly did I write or suggest faking depression?

Britannia

Reaction score
No where nearly as unethical as NICE not granting Propecia free of charge in the first place. If you pay NI (which all emplyed citizens do) then in my opinion, it is both acceptable and sensible to seek hairloss treatments on the NHS.

Britannia

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Sounds like something that should be avoided. Unethical at best.

As an American, you have little to no understanding of how the NHS system works and as such unqualified to judge what is and isnt ethical in what I was suggesting.

Cassin

Reaction score
Britannia said:
Cassin said:
Sounds like something that should be avoided. Unethical at best.

As an American, you have little to no understanding of how the NHS system works and as such unqualified to judge what is and isnt ethical in what I was suggesting.

You shouldn't assume knowledge based on where someone lives. I have read about this system quite a bit since I have joined here since we have so many British posters...at the least I have a basic idea. Also during the elections comparing the candidates health care plans to those in the UK and Canada were common. So we heard a lot about it then as well.

Regardless...what you're talking about is exploiting a "loophole" so thats all one has to know anyway. You tell them to use a "line" which is the same telling someone to lie and then you even admit its "playing the system" which means breaking rules. Also... if is ethical then why hide who is doing it?

The evidence is all here below.

Britannia said:
Its possible. I have two friends living in different regions of the UK (i.e. under different PCTs) who have been granted Propecia free of charge on the NHS. It isnt easy and there are certain conditions you must meet:

1) You must be currently getting your Propecia prescription from your local GP.
2) You must also be receiving treatment for either: Depression, anxiety or associated mental health conditions. This treatment can be either medication or counselling.

A little background as to how I found this wonderful little loop hole. Big Chiefs up in central government decided that they simply had to do something to stem the amount of money they were spending treating depression. Its notoriously expensive - not the medications themselves, but the strain it puts on NHS services and the damage it causes to the economy in lost working days. Some bright spark decided that if they could find a way of treating the root cause of depression through non-medical and non-clinical means, it would prove cost effective in the long run. Sounds stupid, but think a little harder and it makes perfect sense. For example, one PCT had the idea of buying pets for certain depressive patients. Stupid? No not really, as these patients had a 65% reduction in GP visits the first 12 months and more importantly this saved the PCT massive amounts of money. Other things paid for by other PCTs incude: aromatherapy, dance classes, holidays (im not kidding), cars and most importantly cosmetic surgery. If a patient was suffering from a depressive illness that could be "cured" by cosmetic surgery (for example a patient anxious and depressed about a disfiguring birth mark or girl depressed about being breastingly challenged) it could be granted. The same principle applies to the free prescription of v**** if impotence is causing mental health issues. So if you are being treated for a mental health illness due to your hairloss, and I know a lot of you are especially the "lurkers" you may have a case. You need to get in touch with your local PCT. Make a case. State what you want. Talk to your GP. You can use the "Im depressed because I can no longer afford my Propecia....." line. OK its playing the system, but arent all systems there to be played? It may well work. Im not going to disclose which PCTs I have known to prescribe Propecia free of charge, certainely my local one does not. Like many things in the NHS it is a total lottery. If any of you try and succeed or fail please post your feedback here. Good luck guys.