fred's Story

fred

Reaction score
I already posted that thread some weeks ago in the Men's General Forum but I feel this forum is more suited for that

I am 23 yo from belgium with aggressive diffuse thinning, I have itchy scalp, and my case has dramatically worsened the last 6 months.
I am not here to tell everyone that "it sux to be me"... Sorry it is stronger than me anyway. It really sux to be me.
for a lot of reasons, do you recognise yourself in that situation:
1) bald look doesn't suit me at all
2) I used to have long thick hair
3) I have an untannable pasty white skin
4) I am a 23 yo who hasn't entirely assumed the fact I am not a teenager anymore
5) Most of my success with girls came from the funky hairstyle I used to have. I had success with girls before but never really took advantage of it. If I had knew... :cry:
6) I have a very young looking face and people assume that I am 18-19 yo. The young looking face/horseshoe combo doesn't sound good to me. :roll:
7) I am dating a girl who is much younger (17) than I, who isn't aware of my hairloss yet (though at the rate it falls right now, within 2-3 weeks she unevitably will), and when I said that my 29 yo brother has no more hair she said "what? he lost his hair that young??? :freaked2: " erm... and I could understand she wouldn't date a guy looking like her daddy...
and most of all, a bit of youth is falling out from my head every day (or rather everytime I take a shower twice a week) in a diffuse manner. I don't look the same everytime I get out of the shower. I really have the feeling that my youth is "countdowned" in a fast pace.
9) I frequent people who don't suffer from hairloss
10) I don't have much money
11) and people don't get it.

For some reasons, those who deny my hairloss anger me rather than reassure me.
For now, people don't really take a look at my hair but assume that I am on a bad hair day (well it's been 6 month that I am on a bad hair day), since my hair became impossible to style (I used to spike it but now the top is just short, thin, messy, and flat like a... well think about something flat). my friends jokingly ask me if I happen to comb my hair sometimes, which is actually not funny, since I last 3 times longer than before in my bathroom to make my hair look "correct". I have the feeling that I look 6 years older now than 6 month ago , and that it is just the beginning. people say they don't notice my hairloss yet but still I feel less attention from people, around me.
You figure out how important it is to look good when you begin to look bad.

Man, there are people depressed because they get some white hairs at 40... Fck, it sucks to degrade physically, visibly a bit more every week, that fast when you are 23. Taking a shower is the worst moment of the day, and I avoid like plague to look at the mirror when I have wet hair.

I would be happy if I can keep the hair I have right now, but since I am an agressive thinner, I guess I cannot reverse the situation since I should grow hairs in a faster rate than I lose them, which seems impossible to me, am I right??? Is there a hope?? sorry for the long post, I have less hair now than when I typed the first word of this post (no it is not -that- fast)

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think somebody commented on this in another thread, but I think you need to wash your hair every day, for good scalp health.

I guess it is a myth that you lose your hair in the shower. This myth existes because you NOTICE hair loss when you wash your hair, by seeing the hairs in your hands. But it isn't true- showering and washing hair does not CAUSE hair loss. Let's clarify that right away.

I was believed the falsely-comforting myth that hair loss comes only from your mother's side, and my mom has no brothers, by her dad (my grandfather on her side) has a thick head of hair at age 80+. But I have male pattern baldness from my dad's side- he is a Norwood 4-5 at age 50. I have it, too.

It's too bad that you don't have much money, because there are many products to treat hairloss. But at least try to buy the big three- finasteride, minoxidil, and nizoral shampoo.

I know, girls are so clueless. Some girl on a date said to me "you're 28 and you aren't bald, so that means you won't go bald", after I showed her my photo album and she saw my dad. I just wanted to ask her what she would do if her husband/fiancee lost his hair, but let's wait and see what happens.

Good luck, to us all.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
jes Fred, I guess when hairloss starts it can be disturbing. I'm 28 and first noticed my hairloss at 25. i've got to the point now where my hair looks like crap anyway so I don't cover it up, I just give it the shaved look.

Strangely enough the whole thing doesn't bother me as much anymore, even though I'm taking Finasteride. If I don't get good results in a year I'm going to say f*** it and shave my head like a babys bottom.
Any girls that dislike the new look will get the back of my hand :D

Best of look Jack

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rock on Jack!!! Good attitude. I say the same, but hopefully won't have to think about that for years to come.

Good luck, both of you.

DovF

Reaction score
So young

I certainly empithise. I started loosing hair slowly at 18. It hastened at 22 to the point that I had to change my hairstyle to cover it up. :-x

While women generally preffer good hair, confidence and charisma go a long way. Many balding men are hurt by the lack of confidence.

I remember when I first accepted that I was going bald, I could barely talk to women sober. :(

While regrowing most of my hair helped, it was the renewed confidence that did the most.

Of course 17-year-olds are not women yet. They are still immature.
As long as they are legal.. :wink:

Look for a treatment now! A combination may be best. :hairy:

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: So young

DovF said:
I certainly empithise. I started loosing hair slowly at 18. It hastened at 22 to the point that I had to change my hairstyle to cover it up. :-x

While women generally preffer good hair, confidence and charisma go a long way. Many balding men are hurt by the lack of confidence.

I remember when I first accepted that I was going bald, I could barely talk to women sober. :(

While regrowing most of my hair helped, it was the renewed confidence that did the most.

Of course 17-year-olds are not women yet. They are still immature.
As long as they are legal.. :wink:

Look for a treatment now! A combination may be best. :hairy:

Lad alot of what you say is so true, it's not funny :shock:

i notice the whole hair thing with people that I've seen two years ago, and they had a picture of me as a non-balding dude, but when they see me now they notice, it's the people that don't know me don't comment( simple as that, a freash slate again). It's christmas, so alot of old friends to meet again that coment!! anyway merry christmas, enjoy yourself thats whats really important

Jack

fred

Reaction score
Damn I would give anything to have the hair I had when I wrote that post :cry: :cry: :cry:

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
F'N hilarious!

Jack the Lad, just have to say I nearly pissed my pants at your post about showing the chicks the back of your hand. Funny sh*t man, keep it up!

fred

Reaction score
Update
It's been more than a year since I posted that thread and my hair is obviously worse than it was at that time. I started Finasteride back then, but couldn't bear the side effects (The worst being the chest pain in the heart area) so I had to stop right away.

1 year later, my girlfriend dumped me for mysterious reason (she wasn't aware of my hairloss), friends told me that I look much older now (without mentionning my hair) and my scalp is now very slightly visible in the temple and vertex areas, but I still have good coverage. The fact that I matured a lot since last year (I am 24) helped a lot with accepting my appearance. True, I cannot spike my hair anymore, but I am no more 16 anyway, fact that I had a hard time admitting last year.

The three last months of 2004 were horrible. My hair worsened to a noticeable extent, I was deeply depressed, I couldn't go out anymore. My girlfriend dumped me in August, and asked me to meet her in November to "talk", but my hairloss worsened so much since she dumped me that I declined. Nonetheless, I am quite happy with my hair right now (better than last November), but it may be purely psychological though.

As I write, my hair is anyway a bit better than I thought it would be, (I imagined myself with a horseshoe back then), despite the full year without any treatement except Nizoral, but anyway, I decided to give Proscar another chance exactly 1 month ago (Started Proscar the 10 january 2005).

My current treatment is Nizoral 2-3 times a week and Proscar 1mg everyday.

The side-effects were horrible the first week, the chest pain, the limp left arm, the symptons of a heart attack, it awakened me at night, I thought I would die, litteraly, but since I am one crazy moth**f**ker I decided to continue. I was dying, but at least with a full head of hair. I was right to continue, the chest pain are gone, but I still have a weak sexual drive and watery semen.

Nonetheless, despite the few chance that Proscar could be of any effect in the space of 1 month, my hair is a bit better than 1 month ago, I have the feeling that I lose less hair, that my scalp itch less, and that my hair are healthier (probably due to healthier diet). I used to sweat massively right after ejaculation which resulted to an itchy scalp and since I started Proscar, those massive sweating periods are almost gone (I know, I seem to be made differently than common people :)) If side-effects=effectiveness, then proscar will turn to be very effective as far as I am concerned.

To be continued, stay tuned!

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Is the Finesteride really giving you that much pain, try ride it out and review it again in another two weeks. It's good that you mention the fact that you're maturing, because part of growing up is been more comfortable with yourself.
i reacon women accept the fact that men go bald the older they get, because well it's a fact of life really. Everybody wishes they where a younger self.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated
Jack

fred

Reaction score
Ok, I am now at 2 month (and 5 days).

Hair now worse than ever. BUT...

Proscar had an immediate effect on me.

Here are the things I observed within those 2 month I was on Proscar:

- I had horrible side effects (heart pains) that are now completely gone
- I still have a permanent, significant dryness of the face, especially the lips, and the quality of my skin is so-so.
- My hair is more dry too.
- The two first month was absolutely great, much thicker and healthier hair, until few days ago when my hairline has been ruined overnight. But the remaining hair seem a bit stronger than before treatement... I mean, they do not feel "threatened by DHT" anymore. I dare to run my hand through my hair now.
- Itches almost COMPLETELY GONE
- I have the feeling Proscar turned me, a textbook massive thinner, into a receeder.
- I shed much less than before, it seems the sheds are not immediately cosmetically significant, and the days my hair worsen the most are the days I shed the least for some reasons.
- I SWEAR the effects (whether bad or good) were almost immediate the first times I took Proscar. Something changed about my hair.
- I wonder if my recent bad hair situation will recover. I just hope I am on a "bad hair period".

So, it is really hard to say if it is positive or not yet. My hairloss seems to evolve differently. My hair definitely feel different. I have the feeling if I judge my situation, that my vertex will probably get better, hairline will get worse (hence the "receeder" remark"). Something sure, is that I am a "quick responder", whether in a good or a bad way.

fred

Reaction score
After 2 month of relatively unexpected great hair following my first pills of finasteride, I recently went under a killer shed that makes my scalp slightly visible, especially at the vertex. I am very worried about this because I had to adjust my hairstyle to fit my very thinned top, thinner than it ever was and this in the space of a few days.

I wonder, is it "normal" or "positive" to shed that much only 2 month and a week on finasteride? or is it too early?

:shock: :cry: :shock:

fred

Reaction score
I am almost at month 4 now. I had much better hair, then I shed horribly, then I recovered a bit, and I feel I am gonna go through another shed, in the space of 4 month! I always had a high hair activity.

It's really hard to judge my situation, because my hair seem worse and better at the same time. More receeded (I am originally a pure thinner), but better hair quality than pre-treatement. I am actually quite happy that I started Proscar, despite the fact I am still losing hair, my hair seem stronger overall. Libido low.

I am using a hairspray with pro-Vitamin B5 too. I heard Vitamin B5 can cause hairloss, and at the same time I heard it can repair damaged follicle... What do you think?

souldoctor

Reaction score
mate i've just started propecia, you mentioned watery semen..how long does this go on for?? i've already got this problem within 6 days of using it, will it go away?!?

SD

fred

Reaction score
Yup, it comes and goes.
4 month and 1 week: Big shed, horrible hair. I still hope.

fred

Reaction score
2 years update!

I hit the 2 years mark on January (tsbeen a long time!). I took a break from proscar for limpdick reasons.

I don't know what to think... my hair is worse than 2 years ago. I receeded a lot, I have a diffuse spot on the vertex; but for some reason I am much better than I thought I would be 2 years ago. I think I diffuse less but receed more since I am on finasteride. The part who got the worst damage recently is the vertex and the temples, and now it's the front.

The first year was GREAT, thicker hair and everything, then it went slowly downhill from there. *EDIT* after this post I read my previous posts and it seems that my hair wasn't that great 1 year ago, afterall LOL */EDIT*

I began to have a slight ache in what I think is the prostate region, and my libido is 0, so I gave Proscar a break for a while, I am right?? My hair is more greasy since then and my skin is feels more harsh, but no evolution nor regression has been seen... I don't know when I'll go back to it yet; I heard finasteride loses his effectiveness after 2 years... is it true?

Any input would be great.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi there, it's great to read your updates, I'm in a similar situation to you so was dissapointed to read that you are in a worse situation 2 years down the line although I suppose it could've been a lot worse had you not started treatment, I have heard that Fins effects can begin to wear off around 5+ years but not 2.

psych721027

Reaction score
Man, you are one depressing guy. reading your posts almost makes me wanna go out and kill myself. From what I read, you need to wash your hair every day, not twice a week, you need to get on some anti-depressant medication or something, and you should probably just shave it off since it's obviously messing with your whole being. Seriously, a guy shouldn't care what others think of him. Change your focus from the external to the internal. You should be thinking that you're the baddest mo-fo around, not fealing sorry for losing your hair.

IMHO, you girlfriend left you because you were acting like a whiney, emotional, depressed wuss-bag. Dude, the girls look to us for strength, not the other way around.

fred

Reaction score
psych721027 said:
Man, you are one depressing guy. reading your posts almost makes me wanna go out and kill myself. From what I read, you need to wash your hair every day, not twice a week, you need to get on some anti-depressant medication or something, and you should probably just shave it off since it's obviously messing with your whole being. Seriously, a guy shouldn't care what others think of him. Change your focus from the external to the internal. You should be thinking that you're the baddest mo-fo around, not fealing sorry for losing your hair.

IMHO, you girlfriend left you because you were acting like a whiney, emotional, depressed wuss-bag. Dude, the girls look to us for strength, not the other way around.
Yeah newsflash hairloss can deeply affect someone, you should know that if you really had male pattern baldness, isn't this the point of this site anyway?