Frankel's Challenge to FDA Regarding Propecia Dosage

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the link for the entire article---very informative. I will post a snipit so that you can see what he talks about.

http://www.physics.upenn.edu/facultyinf ... kedit1.htm

My purpose was not to criticize Merck (and I did not), but to raise questions about the FDA's approval.

Toward that end, I traveled to Washington to speak with the director of the FDA, Jonathan Wilkin, and

the chief physician responsible for the approval of Propecia, Hon-Sum Ko. I was troubled that not a

single referee for the FDA had commented on the following key pieces of data: a) Conversion of

testosterone to dihydrotestosterone fell to a low level at 0.05 milligrams and stayed the same up to 5.0

milligrams. b) Efficacy had not been established below a dosage of 1.0 milligram. Although side effects

did not occur often at 1.0 milligram, effects of finasteride on both the volume of ejaculate of semen and a

big depression of the prostate specific antigen (PSA) score (a test for prostate cancer) were included in

the data submitted to the FDA.

Through the ombudsman for the FDA I had communications with the FDA and finally made the trip to

Washington to ask why they had approved Propecia at the 1.0 mg dose. I will return to this later in this

article.

Conclusions: I have examined the responses to my article on Propecia by persons representing Merck, as

well as some who represent the FDA. I believe my responses will be compelling to an unbiased reader.

Physicians recognize that the drug companies are driven by a motive for profit. They are aware of the

underfunding and mediocre performance of the FDA in the process of approval of drugs. Very few

articles by physicians appear about this subject. I will soon submit a citizen's request to the FDA in order

to have it reconsider its approval of the dosage of Propecia, and I plan to ask the many dermatologists

from whom I have received e-mail letters to join in this request. But what is really needed is for

physicians, not physicists, to make the effort to improve medical practices. Organizations like the Institute

of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences need to engage meaningfully in a study of how to make

the FDA a model of what a federal agency should be.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, this made the rounds long ago. And even though he was shot down by the FDA, I agree 100 percent. My own anecdotal evidence was there was no difference for me between .5mg and 1mg of finasteride, with only a slight decrease in volume and fullness at .25mg.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmmm, to me this is really good information. cant beleive i have never seen it when iv done hours and days of study.

blakes30

Established Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Yes, this made the rounds long ago. And even though he was shot down by the FDA, I agree 100 percent. My own anecdotal evidence was there was no difference for me between .5mg and 1mg of finasteride, with only a slight decrease in volume and fullness at .25mg.

So are you still taking propecia--and if so, what dosage?
What are the results?