Forget The Fear Dude - Take The Leap

docatsgobald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys! So like most of you I’ve read a lot of these posts & never really thought about sharing until now. As a warning this is a bit lengthy, so feel free to skim or skip any or all of it. As sort of a background I started noticing my hairline receding at 21 or 22. I tried to talk myself out of it & ignore the problem for about a year until I was 23 & about a Norwood 2.5 or 3. So far I’ve not experienced any hair loss on the crown at all. When I was 23ish I decided to start taking 1MG of Finasteride daily (I’m pretty sure I was just prescribed the generic version). I took that religiously for about 1.5 years & it did a great job of halting my hair loss, but not really anything as far as restoration. I also experienced no side effects from Finasteride apart from my semen being a little runnier. Like most of us I worried for my erections, but I haven’t personally experienced any issues in that department (could be my age or maybe I’m just lucky). I also never experienced the scary shed that everyone talks about, but maybe it’s worth mentioning I’ve never noticed hair shedding before starting Finasteride either. It was just a gradual recession for me. So almost 6 months ago (after finally coming to the realization that my hair wasn’t coming back on its own) I decided to take the leap & try using 5% minoxidil foam (Rogaine) twice daily (this is in addition to taking Finasteride & also using 1% ketoconozale shampoo (Nizoral) every other day, which I’ve done since the beginning). I was actually surprised at how easily I was able to incorporate Rogaine into my schedule. Mornings are a lot easier for me because I shower before work, but doing it at night is kinda great too because it makes me better at my other before bed chores like brushing my teeth & washing my face (which I will admit I wasn’t always the best at). I might post some pictures later on if requested (kinda nervous lol). I have some from the day I started using Rogaine, about 3 months in, & about 6 months in (which is where I’m at now). I saw the biggest difference about 3 months in & I believe it’s gotten slightly better since then. I may have seen all of the results I’m going to get already, but everyone says to give it a year to see maximum results, so we shall see. So far I have yet to experience any side effects from Rogaine at all (no itchy, red scalp or shedding). I think the biggest thing I had to get over before trying any hair loss remedy is that I was going to somehow make my problem worse or jump start a problem that wasn’t there. From my experience, that has not been the case for any hair loss remedy I’ve tried (Finasteride, Nizoral, & Rogaine). It’s scary taking the leap, but I’m so glad I did & I hope that my post can help you guys that are on the fence about starting this regimen. Everyone is different & different things work for different people, but this seems to work for me & I believe it’s worth a shot if you’re in the same boat I was. Thanks for reading guys!

megadyptes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great to hear you have results. I'm kind of curious for photo's now! I am kind of in a similar situation, 3 months in but no improvement as of now. But next time, you could use some paragraphs ;)

docatsgobald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great to hear you have results. I'm kind of curious for photo's now! I am kind of in a similar situation, 3 months in but no improvement as of now. But next time, you could use some paragraphs ;)

Sorry about that! I was typing it on my phone & it didn’t even occur to me to break it up at all. Noted for next time.

Here are my pictures. I’m hoping they’ll attach in order!

Attachments

• 040C8F2E-2D68-452C-871A-3D31484B048D.jpeg
    040C8F2E-2D68-452C-871A-3D31484B048D.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 924
  • 051C7A71-F362-44C4-8972-0BBA1D79F02B.jpeg
    051C7A71-F362-44C4-8972-0BBA1D79F02B.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 741
  • CA63B351-CB7F-4ECF-8364-F0BE97BF0B06.jpeg
    CA63B351-CB7F-4ECF-8364-F0BE97BF0B06.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 731
  • 02A65CCE-D90B-41B8-A1A1-29A3080E4B44.jpeg
    02A65CCE-D90B-41B8-A1A1-29A3080E4B44.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 761
  • 94D2CC12-ACAB-48B9-9472-8A6437B12407.jpeg
    94D2CC12-ACAB-48B9-9472-8A6437B12407.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 733
  • 16AF9A3B-07CB-44B2-B8F1-94968F4C1DC9.jpeg
    16AF9A3B-07CB-44B2-B8F1-94968F4C1DC9.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 806

docatsgobald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks great man, you have a full head of hair! I envy you, hope you can maintain/improve!

Thanks, I appreciate that! I told myself when I started that I would be happy to get ANYTHING back, but now I’m selfish & want more. Lol, but I’m definitely grateful for what I have gotten back & if I just maintain from here on out I’ll be a happy camper. Can’t wait to see your success post! Hang in there, man!

Trauma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, I wish I had started using a proper treatment like this 3 years ago. I might have saved myself from reaching this point of complete diffuse thinning with a Norwood 5-6 pattern... at 31 years young. I'm going to go in hard on this real soon here. Along with dermarolling etc.

docatsgobald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, I wish I had started using a proper treatment like this 3 years ago. I might have saved myself from reaching this point of complete diffuse thinning with a Norwood 5-6 pattern... at 31 years young. I'm going to go in hard on this real soon here. Along with dermarolling etc.

Thanks for the comment, man! Yeah, that’s the worst part. Almost all of us go through a sort of denial phase - I know I did. At first I thought it might be in my head (no pun intended lol). Then I feared starting treatment would somehow make it worse or cause a problem I was only imagining in the first place. Then finally I decided I was miserable with the way I looked anyway, so if the worst happened, what would I really lose? At least I was trying something. So I finally took the leap, hence the title which I know is lame, but it had to be seven characters lol.

I’m pretty happy with my results, but I’ve also been extremely consistent & never missed an application of Rogaine or dose of Finasteride. I’m not gonna lie & say there aren’t nights that I moan & groan wishing I could just go to bed without applying the Rogaine, but for the most part I’ve incorporated it into my schedule pretty easily & it beats the alternative (losing my hair)!

I’ve heard positive things about dermarolling, but never tried it myself. My only advice (& I am by no means an expert) is to start out with the three remedies I mentioned above (Finasteride, Nizoral, & Rogaine). You might be a better man than me, but adding all of those things to my plate plus dermarolling, etc. at one time would be a sure fire way to overwhelm myself & fall off the routine. Two out of the three remedies I mentioned above are easy as pie. The Rogaine is really the only one that’s extra. Get on a regular schedule with those & then maybe give the dermarolling a try! But like I said, I am by no means an expert & we seem to have somewhat different problems, so I may not be the best person to ask!

But good luck, brother. I look forward to seeing your success post!

Trauma

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you dude. And I wanted to say congrats on your success and determination to start early. My loss was pretty much where yours was at, for me it was 3 years ago. I didn't act and do the proper treatments and just opted for an unproven PRP + ACell one time treatment that cost me a fortune and forgot all about it. Now I'm in really bad shape unfortunately. This was me before (3 years ago): https://imgur.com/gGgd2zQ

Now... not so good.. https://imgur.com/vAtyRbW

I've already picked up Nizoral about 2 years ago, but I'll add finasteride & min and dermarolling because at this point, what do I really have to lose and in my case, 'tis not much there anymore. It's sad because I used to enjoy my thick hair and girls would comment on it all the time. Now I don't leave the house without a hat ever since getting this buzz cut last week.

docatsgobald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you dude. And I wanted to say congrats on your success and determination to start early. My loss was pretty much where yours was at, for me it was 3 years ago. I didn't act and do the proper treatments and just opted for an unproven PRP + ACell one time treatment that cost me a fortune and forgot all about it. Now I'm in really bad shape unfortunately. This was me before (3 years ago): https://imgur.com/gGgd2zQ

Now... not so good.. https://imgur.com/vAtyRbW

I've already picked up Nizoral about 2 years ago, but I'll add finasteride & min and dermarolling because at this point, what do I really have to lose and in my case, 'tis not much there anymore. It's sad because I used to enjoy my thick hair and girls would comment on it all the time. Now I don't leave the house without a hat ever since getting this buzz cut last week.

Thanks, I really appreciate that! Hang in there, man! Where there’s hair, there’s hope! & you definitely still have hair. Give the routine a shot & don’t compare your results to anyone because we all have different growth/shed cycles. Give it at least a year no matter what (assuming you don’t have bad side effects). But don’t let the side effects get in your head either! I don’t think they’re as common as people think, but it’s easy to psych yourself out over them. I have a good feeling you’ll see nice results, but if you don’t it looks like you grow a pretty nice beard! So the girls will still have plenty to comment on!