Forget The Fear Dude - Take The Leap | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Forget The Fear Dude - Take The Leap

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by docatsgobald, May 25, 2019.

1. docatsgobald

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Hi guys! So like most of you I’ve read a lot of these posts & never really thought about sharing until now. As a warning this is a bit lengthy, so feel free to skim or skip any or all of it. As sort of a background I started noticing my hairline receding at 21 or 22. I tried to talk myself out of it & ignore the problem for about a year until I was 23 & about a Norwood 2.5 or 3. So far I’ve not experienced any hair loss on the crown at all. When I was 23ish I decided to start taking 1MG of finasteride daily (I’m pretty sure I was just prescribed the generic version). I took that religiously for about 1.5 years & it did a great job of halting my hair loss, but not really anything as far as restoration. I also experienced no side effects from Finasteride apart from my semen being a little runnier. Like most of us I worried for my erections, but I haven’t personally experienced any issues in that department (could be my age or maybe I’m just lucky). I also never experienced the scary shed that everyone talks about, but maybe it’s worth mentioning I’ve never noticed hair shedding before starting Finasteride either. It was just a gradual recession for me. So almost 6 months ago (after finally coming to the realization that my hair wasn’t coming back on its own) I decided to take the leap & try using 5% minoxidil foam (Rogaine) twice daily (this is in addition to taking Finasteride & also using 1% ketoconozale shampoo (Nizoral) every other day, which I’ve done since the beginning). I was actually surprised at how easily I was able to incorporate Rogaine into my schedule. Mornings are a lot easier for me because I shower before work, but doing it at night is kinda great too because it makes me better at my other before bed chores like brushing my teeth & washing my face (which I will admit I wasn’t always the best at). I might post some pictures later on if requested (kinda nervous lol). I have some from the day I started using Rogaine, about 3 months in, & about 6 months in (which is where I’m at now). I saw the biggest difference about 3 months in & I believe it’s gotten slightly better since then. I may have seen all of the results I’m going to get already, but everyone says to give it a year to see maximum results, so we shall see. So far I have yet to experience any side effects from Rogaine at all (no itchy, red scalp or shedding). I think the biggest thing I had to get over before trying any hair loss remedy is that I was going to somehow make my problem worse or jump start a problem that wasn’t there. From my experience, that has not been the case for any hair loss remedy I’ve tried (Finasteride, Nizoral, & Rogaine). It’s scary taking the leap, but I’m so glad I did & I hope that my post can help you guys that are on the fence about starting this regimen. Everyone is different & different things work for different people, but this seems to work for me & I believe it’s worth a shot if you’re in the same boat I was. Thanks for reading guys!

Danny-kins and megadyptes like this.
  2. megadyptes

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Great to hear you have results. I'm kind of curious for photo's now! I am kind of in a similar situation, 3 months in but no improvement as of now. But next time, you could use some paragraphs ;)

Danny-kins and docatsgobald like this.
  3. docatsgobald

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Sorry about that! I was typing it on my phone & it didn’t even occur to me to break it up at all. Noted for next time.

Here are my pictures. I’m hoping they’ll attach in order!

Attached Files:

Danny-kins, Maxihair and megadyptes like this.
  4. megadyptes

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Looks great man, you have a full head of hair! I envy you, hope you can maintain/improve!

5. docatsgobald

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks, I appreciate that! I told myself when I started that I would be happy to get ANYTHING back, but now I’m selfish & want more. Lol, but I’m definitely grateful for what I have gotten back & if I just maintain from here on out I’ll be a happy camper. Can’t wait to see your success post! Hang in there, man!

Danny-kins likes this.
  6. Maxihair

Maxihair Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Amazing results! Congrats!

7. docatsgobald

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks for the comment, man! It’s nice to have people to share the excitement with. Lol.

Danny-kins and Maxihair like this.
  8. Maxihair

Maxihair Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks for sharing your results! It may give us a bit of hope.

9. Trauma

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Man, I wish I had started using a proper treatment like this 3 years ago. I might have saved myself from reaching this point of complete diffuse thinning with a Norwood 5-6 pattern... at 31 years young. I'm going to go in hard on this real soon here. Along with dermarolling etc.

docatsgobald likes this.
  10. docatsgobald

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks for the comment, man! Yeah, that’s the worst part. Almost all of us go through a sort of denial phase - I know I did. At first I thought it might be in my head (no pun intended lol). Then I feared starting treatment would somehow make it worse or cause a problem I was only imagining in the first place. Then finally I decided I was miserable with the way I looked anyway, so if the worst happened, what would I really lose? At least I was trying something. So I finally took the leap, hence the title which I know is lame, but it had to be seven characters lol.

I’m pretty happy with my results, but I’ve also been extremely consistent & never missed an application of Rogaine or dose of Finasteride. I’m not gonna lie & say there aren’t nights that I moan & groan wishing I could just go to bed without applying the Rogaine, but for the most part I’ve incorporated it into my schedule pretty easily & it beats the alternative (losing my hair)!

I’ve heard positive things about dermarolling, but never tried it myself. My only advice (& I am by no means an expert) is to start out with the three remedies I mentioned above (Finasteride, Nizoral, & Rogaine). You might be a better man than me, but adding all of those things to my plate plus dermarolling, etc. at one time would be a sure fire way to overwhelm myself & fall off the routine. Two out of the three remedies I mentioned above are easy as pie. The Rogaine is really the only one that’s extra. Get on a regular schedule with those & then maybe give the dermarolling a try! But like I said, I am by no means an expert & we seem to have somewhat different problems, so I may not be the best person to ask!

But good luck, brother. I look forward to seeing your success post!

Danny-kins and Trauma like this.
  11. Trauma

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thank you dude. And I wanted to say congrats on your success and determination to start early. My loss was pretty much where yours was at, for me it was 3 years ago. I didn't act and do the proper treatments and just opted for an unproven PRP + ACell one time treatment that cost me a fortune and forgot all about it. Now I'm in really bad shape unfortunately. This was me before (3 years ago): https://imgur.com/gGgd2zQ

Now... not so good.. https://imgur.com/vAtyRbW

I've already picked up Nizoral about 2 years ago, but I'll add finasteride & min and dermarolling because at this point, what do I really have to lose and in my case, 'tis not much there anymore. It's sad because I used to enjoy my thick hair and girls would comment on it all the time. Now I don't leave the house without a hat ever since getting this buzz cut last week.

12. docatsgobald

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks, I really appreciate that! Hang in there, man! Where there’s hair, there’s hope! & you definitely still have hair. Give the routine a shot & don’t compare your results to anyone because we all have different growth/shed cycles. Give it at least a year no matter what (assuming you don’t have bad side effects). But don’t let the side effects get in your head either! I don’t think they’re as common as people think, but it’s easy to psych yourself out over them. I have a good feeling you’ll see nice results, but if you don’t it looks like you grow a pretty nice beard! So the girls will still have plenty to comment on!

Danny-kins likes this.