Foreigners Views on Americans

The Gardener

Reaction score
From interpreted survey data of foreigners views of America. I'm sure the basic thoughts here are equally applicable to our European and Japanese brothers, but the general message is well worth taking heed of. With globalization, are global workers being raised to our standards or are our standards of living doomed to be lowered to theirs? Is this what we are experiencing now, in the context of our economic meltdown??

Americans have no idea how rich we are, but everyone else, certainly does; it's often the first thing foreigners mention about the United States. There is, of course, also extensive poverty within the United States, especially among children, a condition. But most of us take for granted modern bathrooms, hot showers, and unlimited water for cooking at the turn of a faucet; no walking to and from an unclean creek with buckets and building a fire first, as countless women in Africa, Asia, and South America still do every day. Nor do we think twice about jumping in one of our family's two or three cars and zipping off whenever we want, wherever we want; we disdain the buses, trains, and other forms of mass transit widely used even in affluent Japan and western Europe as too slow and inconvenient, and the walking that hundreds of millions of the world's poor rely upon is inconceivable to us; many of us will drive the two blocks to the corner store to pick up bread and milk. And that bread and milk, which are always fresh, only hint at the mind-boggling variety and volume of food and drink we have to choose from, whether in mammoth supermarkets whose shelves bulge with virtually every food imaginable no matter what time of year or where we live-strawberries in February, sea crabs in Denver-or in the restaurants that now receive 46 percent of all the money Americans spend on food per year.
Put another way, Americans don't realize how poor most other people in the world are. For most people on the planet, shopping is an exercise in penny-pinching prudence, not the ~ compulsive hobby it has become for many Americans. Approximately one in every five human beings subsists on one dollar a day, a level of poverty which makes hunger and illness their frequent companions. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, some 35,600 children die every day from "conditions of starvation"-that is, from the many illnesses that prey upon tiny bodies that go hungry day after day.
Americans are not unaware of world poverty-we're proud of sending food aid overseas-but we have little grasp of how beyond the human norm our own level of consumption is. It doesn't help that our news media have almost no interest in the outside world in general and the plight of the poor in particular; but neither do we get out and see for ourselves. The relatively few Americans who travel overseas generally confine themselves to zones of English-speaking comfort. Thus remain oblivious to our extraordinary privilege.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
treeshrew said:
I disagree.

I think most Americans are well aware of how good we have it.

No way. It took me going to a couple of third world countries to really put things in perspective for me. And even with that, I still take a lot for granted.

Anthony83

Established Member
Reaction score
no, i don't think people are aware of it. some people are so unbelievably stupid and spoiled, it is disgusting. in my brief tenure living abroad, i can see the differences between the 2 continents already. I love America and cannot wait to get back, but we need to change as a country big time. energy, transportation, education all need major reforms or we are just going to be a bunch of fat and stupid people destroying the world.

how did it get so out of control?

ali777

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
With globalization, are global workers being raised to our standards or are our standards of living doomed to be lowered to theirs? Is this what we are experiencing now, in the context of our economic meltdown??

There is never going to be such an equilibrium in the near future. Some lucky employees in the developing world might reach your standards but the overall standards won't be changing so quick. Look at China, some educated and enterprising people are really well off but the country overall doesn't have high standards.

I was looking at a few freelancing sites, Indian software engineers are willing to do projects for as little as $500 that would probably cost $20k in the west. However, western engineers are still in jobs and making their $20k, they aren't desperate enough to lower their standards to $500.

You might feel insulted, but your economy is basically based on military exports, software monopolies, oil trade, and banking. You don't export anything tangible, it's all services, the UK is the same. The collapse of the banking system is gonna cost the UK lots of money. London is basically the European hub of trading and banking, but foreign investors don't want British way of banking at the moment and that's gonna be costly.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
who cares what foreigners think
We'd better care. As a debtor nation, we rely on foreigners to finance our personal and national debts. We don't produce nearly enough energy to keep our homes and businesses functioning, so we rely on foreigners to supply us this. As a net importer nation, we rely on foreign labor to keep the cost of our clothes and other goods low. And most of all, during a "war on terror", we absolutely rely on foreigners to assist us in pursuing terrorists, and rely on them to give us cooperation in gathering intelligence and in apprehending suspected enemies.

I'd think that if foreigners stopped financing our debt, embargoed exports of oil to us (as happened in the 1970s), and refused to cooperate with our law enforcement and military initiatives in the pursuit of terrorists, you'd start caring rather quickly.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
its so stylish to hate on America these days.

there are plenty of things wrong with america, but there are plenty of things that are right and we should be proud of, like the Hubble Space Telescope for example.

Cassin

Reaction score
We're very isolated here separated from the rest of the world so our experience is limited but there are countless commercials about it on TV and its all over the news so I find it hard to believe people aren't aware of it, just have never seen it first hand.

We are a very privileged country and some people want us to be ashamed of it.

Do we need to make some changed? Of course we do, every country does.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's a bit more mean spirited then you make it sound cassin. Every country has problems "yes" But America has a huge attitude problem. Not necessarily every single American, But America just seems to exude superiority... and in some ways America is superior to many places, but in many ways it's not. But it acts as if those areas in which there is something left to be desired don't exist.

People don't want you to be ashamed of your successes, at least not anyone who isn't hugely ignorant. It's just kind of silly to look at Iraq.. look at Americas justification of it.. and not be offended. Or the treatment of immigrants... Britney spears....

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Eureka said:
It's just kind of silly to look at Iraq.. look at Americas justification of it.. and not be offended.

What are you talking about?

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
Eureka said:
It's just kind of silly to look at Iraq.. look at Americas justification of it.. and not be offended.

What are you talking about?

Well there's quite a few reasons. But mainly how generally all you hear is how terrible it is that American soldiers have died.. yet no mention of the gigantic number of civillians killed. as if American deaths are worth more, even if they joined the army of their own free will. Yet helpless civilians over there who have been slaughtered based on a fact less hunch are acceptable losses. Because really what were doing over there is for their own good. Even if they don't know it and didn't ask for it, Silly savages with their turbans and strange beliefs.

We threw the country into (albeit debatable) a worse situation then what they were in before we went there. And now we don't have the stomach to stay.. It just seems ludicrous to me, Even if it is a generalization.

I realize this subject has already been talked to death.

Cassin

Reaction score
Eureka said:
But mainly how generally all you hear is how terrible it is that American soldiers have died.. yet no mention of the gigantic number of civillians killed. as if American deaths are worth more, even if they joined the army of their own free will. Yet helpless civilians over there who have been slaughtered based on a fact less hunch are acceptable losses. .

Yeah thats not brought up on the news all time...first I heard of it

The Gardener

Reaction score
Eureka said:
I think it's a bit more mean spirited then you make it sound cassin. Every country has problems "yes" But America has a huge attitude problem. Not necessarily every single American, But America just seems to exude superiority... and in some ways America is superior to many places, but in many ways it's not. But it acts as if those areas in which there is something left to be desired don't exist.

People don't want you to be ashamed of your successes, at least not anyone who isn't hugely ignorant. It's just kind of silly to look at Iraq.. look at Americas justification of it.. and not be offended. Or the treatment of immigrants... Britney spears....
I agree completely with your point... except for the "treatment of immigrants" example. How are immigrants mistreated here? As a Californian, I think that's preposterous. This country is an immigrant heaven, they are getting their kids a free education, they are getting free health care, they are getting low-income housing benefits, and most of all they are getting jobs... and because of this country's generally tolerant attitude towards immigration and our ethnically diverse society, they are generally accepted as part of our society... or at the VERY least they are given a fair opportunity to be judged at face value. Americans have a deep admiration for immigrants who have carved out success, whereas in most other nations these achievements would be discounted as parvenu "nouveau" wannabes due to reasons of class consciousness.

On a per capita basis, the US welcomes more LEGAL immigrants than any other country on the planet... and that's not even factoring in the illegal immigrants.

Anyways, I think your overall point is a good one. I think Americans should be a bit more humble about things. Of course I'll get shot down for saying that, but, to those who attack me, let me provide an example... what kind of person do you think is more respectable and upstanding... a great and talented person who is humble about his gifts when he deals with others... or a great and talented person who makes sure to never let you forget just how great and talented he is, and how great and talented he thinks that he is? Well, same analysis shoud be applied to nations.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Eureka said:
Well there's quite a few reasons. But mainly how generally all you hear is how terrible it is that American soldiers have died.. yet no mention of the gigantic number of civillians killed. as if American deaths are worth more, even if they joined the army of their own free will.

Oh my god!! Say it ain't so!!! We talk about American soldiers that have died! How TERRIBLE of us to do that!

Eureka said:
Yet helpless civilians over there who have been slaughtered based on a fact less hunch are acceptable losses. Because really what were doing over there is for their own good. Even if they don't know it and didn't ask for it, Silly savages with their turbans and strange beliefs.

Yeah...I suppose you also think Sadaam Hussein was a wonderful guy. What a swell fellow. A pillar of the community.

Eureka said:
We threw the country into (albeit debatable) a worse situation then what they were in before we went there. And now we don't have the stomach to stay.. It just seems ludicrous to me, Even if it is a generalization.

Emphasis on the word "debatable". Let's see how the situation is 10 years or 20 years from now.

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Eureka said:
Well there's quite a few reasons. But mainly how generally all you hear is how terrible it is that American soldiers have died.. yet no mention of the gigantic number of civillians killed. as if American deaths are worth more, even if they joined the army of their own free will.

Oh my god!! Say it ain't so!!! We talk about American soldiers that have died! How TERRIBLE of us to do that!

Eureka said:
Yet helpless civilians over there who have been slaughtered based on a fact less hunch are acceptable losses. Because really what were doing over there is for their own good. Even if they don't know it and didn't ask for it, Silly savages with their turbans and strange beliefs.

Yeah...I suppose you also think Sadaam Hussein was a wonderful guy. What a swell fellow. A pillar of the community.

Eureka said:

Emphasis on the word "debatable". Let's see how the situation is 10 years or 20 years from now.

I have to agree that the Anglo-Saxon news corporations do not paint a fair picture of the war casualties, as a matter of fact they never mention the total number of civilian casualties. We regularly hear what the total number of military casualties are, but never the opposite. You can't go to a war and not consider it's human cost, that's sheer ignorance.

What's worse is that we are talking about a country that preaches democracy to the rest of the world, but they are in total disregard of the Geneva Conventions. Why have the war crimes tribunal in the Hague if people like Saddam aren't going to be tried there?

ali777

Reaction score
Cassin said:
ali777 said:
We regularly hear what the total number of military casualties are, but never the opposite.?

Not sure where you are from but thats not the case in America.

Are you saying that in America you don't hear the total number of American casualties, or the American news networks regularly tell you what the total civilian casualties are?

For example, in the UK they regularly say how many soldiers have died since the war started, but never mention Iraqi casualties since the war started. They tell us how many casualties there were in one particular incident, but never the total. I just presumed it was the same over there???

Cassin

Reaction score
ali777 said:
Cassin said:
ali777 said:
We regularly hear what the total number of military casualties are, but never the opposite.?

Not sure where you are from but thats not the case in America.

Are you saying that in America you don't hear the total number of American casualties, or the American news networks regularly tell you what the total civilian casualties are?

We hear both constantly....both civilian and military.

Although I am sure most people would really like to not believe that...

The Gardener

Reaction score
That's true... it seems like we hear about that almost every night....

"Five Iraqi civilians were killed today when a bomb-laden car drove into a Baghdad market this morning... and three Iraqi policemen were injured from gunfire after their convoy was attacked while leaving a police compound in the Sadr City district of the city... etc, etc."

and "today's violence has brought the American casualty rate up to xxx lives... and it is reported that the Iraqi civilian death toll has exceeded xxx, but some believe that number to be higher... "

These words have been pounded into us... we know.