For Those Who Use Oral minoxidil Pills...

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I saw lots of oral minoxidil questions on that foum and as a user, I think that would be nice to have one place to sum up each user experience. So Oral minoxidil dudes, please share your story with this product.

My experience so far :
- started w07 2020, @2.5mg a day and still stick to this dosage
- Month 1 nothing to report
- Month 2 shedding started, last for a month on average, got quite heavy in the middle of this shedding month
- Month 3 to month 5 : shed stopped and usual hair loss was reduced to a minimum
- month 5 to month 7 : REGROWTH !! with close to NO hair loss
- Currently : noticed hair hair loss back but little amount

no swealing to report. I also do monitor my heart rate twice a day, nothing changed.
My legs got more hairy.
So please Oral minoxidil user, report your experience !

ciao

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any point in trying this if you got sides with the topical?

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I saw lots of oral minoxidil questions on that foum and as a user, I think that would be nice to have one place to sum up each user experience. So Oral minoxidil dudes, please share your story with this product.

My experience so far :
- started w07 2020, @2.5mg a day and still stick to this dosage
- Month 1 nothing to report
- Month 2 shedding started, last for a month on average, got quite heavy in the middle of this shedding month
- Month 3 to month 5 : shed stopped and usual hair loss was reduced to a minimum
- month 5 to month 7 : REGROWTH !! with close to NO hair loss
- Currently : noticed hair hair loss back but little amount

no swealing to report. I also do monitor my heart rate twice a day, nothing changed.
My legs got more hairy.
So please Oral minoxidil user, report your experience !

ciao
And youre on finasteride?

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was on on 1.6mg in the evening and now I’m on 1.6mg in the evening AND the morning.

- I noticed nothing for first 8 or 9 months. Possibly slowed down hair loss.

- Added tretonin...

- Started a shed (fuk my life)

- Upped dosage to 3.2mg per day based on fellow forum member suggestions

- I’m coming up to 11 months. Two weeks on 3.2 mg.

- I’m hoping to see growth or halting loss now that I’ve upped my dose (I’ve stopped the Tret and don’t know if that’s good or bad)

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
It was already done back in early 2000s, check hairsite, hairlosshelp. Even more, we was so badass that we even added oral spironolactone. A none sense, you will get better results simple adding tretinoin to minoxidil and much, much, much more safer.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
NO, no really, to old, nothing new, Already tried it . But a couple of doctors present it as the new miracle drug, lol, to get some atention...and they got it.
This isn’t entirely representative of the full story and why people are experimenting with it now.

Scientists and doctors are releasing new studies testing oral minoxidil alongside things like microneedling - I think we’re seeing new combinations with positive results coming out.

I’ve been here for 15 years and before last year I had seen bugger all studies on oral min - and it’s not like I’m not looking :p

Certainly it seems to be a little more mainstream now.

Last edited:

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
It was already done back in early 2000s, check hairsite, hairlosshelp. Even more, we was so badass that we even added oral spironolactone. A none sense, you will get better results simple adding tretinoin to minoxidil and much, much, much more safer.
yes but at what dose ? Surely at smaller doses than 5mg...

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
This isn’t entirely representative of the full story and why people are experimenting with it now.

Scientists and doctors are releasing new studies testing oral minoxidil alongside things like microneedling - I think we’re seeing new combinations with positive results coming out.

I’ve been here for 15 years and before last year I had seen bugger all studies on oral min - and it’s not like I’m not looking :p

Certainly it seems to be a little more mainstream now.

Do you understand that minoxidil oral is from early 80s ? that , cause it gave results as oral then it goes topical for Androgenetic Alopecia ? Again, nothing new at all, you can even find studies from the 80s on oral minoxidil.
Again, is a none sense. Read the study of last year with minoxidil and tretinoin, that is how an study should be done.
The " resent " studies of oral minoxidil are uselesss, they don't use placebo group, not use control group against minoxidil lotion, and what it is even worst, they did't meassure it, by using oral, you actually get more active minoxidl ( minoxidil sulphate ) in the body.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you understand that minoxidil oral is from early 80s ? that , cause it gave results as oral then it goes topical for Androgenetic Alopecia ? Again, nothing new at all, you can even find studies from the 80s on oral minoxidil.
Again, is a none sense. Read the study of last year with minoxidil and tretinoin, that is how an study should be done.
The " resent " studies of oral minoxidil are uselesss, they don't use placebo group, not use control group against minoxidil lotion, and what it is even worst, they did't meassure it, by using oral, you actually get more active minoxidl ( minoxidil sulphate ) in the body.

Sorry if I missed it but why then has it been missed as a mainstream option in your opinion.

Thanks for all your help my the way :)

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed it but why then has it been missed as a mainstream option in your opinion.

Thanks for all your help my the way :)
1) It will give you side effects
2) As general, is a none sense ( I did learn it in a hard way ) using Systemic medication to treat hair loss
3) There is not a single study compare it oral vs placebo vs topical minoxidil , to prove that actually oral minoxidil is better than topical
4) If, and only IF , oral works better should be cause more is converted to minoxidil sulphate . But again, not a single study showing this. BUT you can get much more minoxidil convert it to minoxidil sulphate if you use topical tretinoin ( and there are many studies on this specially one done in 2019 that they meassure the minoxidil sulphate levels with and without tretinoin ! ) .

So, in resume, it is dangerous, and a none sense cause you have a much ,much better safer more studies alternative ( minoxidil plus tretinoin ) . Even easier to get than oral .

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I do wonder whether these new studies are proving that the side effects are not all that common. Or at least providing / adding to awareness. More studies can’t hurt?

Heck, some guys use finasteride despite loosing their sex drive, so I guess it depends what you’re willing to sacrifice.

That said I’m starting to think topical min + tret could be a good safer option.

I started to see a shed with oral + tret so stopped the tret in a moment of fear. People in other forums reckon I should get back on it.

One question.

If my chemist isn’t prepared to mix Tret + topical min. Which would you apply first and how long would you wait before applying the latter?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I do wonder whether these new studies are proving that the side effects are not all that common. Or at least providing / adding to awareness. More studies can’t hurt?

Heck, some guys use finasteride despite loosing their sex drive, so I guess it depends what you’re willing to sacrifice.

That said I’m starting to think topical min + tret could be a good safer option.

I started to see a shed with oral + tret so stopped the tret in a moment of fear. People in other forums reckon I should get back on it.

One question.

If my chemist isn’t prepared to mix Tret + topical min. Which would you apply first and how long would you wait before applying the latter?

No need to wait , to apply the cream . Will be less messy if you let it dry the minoxidil lotion for 15 or 30 minutes and then apply the tretinoin cream . But you can apply it direct. Start from right to left putting minoxidil in the entire scalp, and the do the same with the tretinoin cream .

I am posting again this study, cause I think that is the best study done and this is how all the studies should be done :
Tretinoin enhances minoxidil response in androgenetic alopecia patients by upregulating follicular sulfotransferase enzymes

Too bad there are not more of that kind of studies. This is just the abstract, is you read the entire study , is simple amazing.

1) They try minoxidil topical alone
2) check sulfotransferase
3) That who don't respond, add tretinoin to the minoxidil, then they check the sulfotransferase again and it was increased, and guess what ? the don't responded to minoxidil alone start to respond when they added tretinoin and after the sulfotransferase increased cause tretinoin !

Isn't simple amazing ?

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score

This is all well and good, but I'm allergic to topical minoxidil. Its definitely the minoxidil rather than the carrier that I'm allergic to as I've tried many formulations. 10 years ago or more I had an excellent response to topical minoxidil. I then added in tretenoin, it was shortly after this that I experienced severe contact dermatitis from minoxidil application...perhaps the tretenoin caused too much minoxidil absorption and my body had enough!

I actually have a decent head of hair as I've been on finasteride for over a decade, but I have recently started oral minoxidil. For someone who is allergic to topical min, oral is obviously superior.

I do wish we had more safety info though. I am concerned. I've taken a small dose of 1.25mg for 4 months and noticed a few new hairs sprouting on the hairline. Recently upped to 2.5 but might actually drop back to the lower dose and see where I am after a year. Adding thickness to existing hair would be enough for me.

Edit: I have also been on the forums a long time; I don't remember a big hullabaloo about oral min.

Last edited: