For Those Who Say Dutasteride Isn't Effective. This May Be Why…

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd been on 0.5mg dutasteride daily for nine months now, I had a few shedding, my libido was super high, no ED. Then two weeks ago, I started taking 2 caps of dutasteride daily; shedding stops! My libido goes back to normal! So, I'm starting to suspect that for some men, 0.5mg of dutasteride is not enough. So, if you're shedding on 0.5mg, try 1mg of dutasteride!

Oddly enough, I was doing fine with 1mg propecia, but 0.5mg of dutasteride was not strong enough for me.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started with .5mg of dutasteride for 1 month..
Then I moved up to 1mg of dutasteride...
Then on my third month I moved up to 1.5mg of dutasteride....but that was too expensive...so now I'm back to 1mg :p

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I started with .5mg of dutasteride for 1 month..
Then I moved up to 1mg of dutasteride...
Then on my third month I moved up to 1.5mg of dutasteride....but that was too expensive...so now I'm back to 1mg

Any improvement over the standard 0.5mg? How long have you been on dutasteride?

Unlike finasteride which has a flat-dose response curve, dutasteride is dose dependent, you should notice improvement on higher dosage.

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any improvement over the standard 0.5mg? How long have you been on dutasteride?

Unlike finasteride which has a flat-dose response curve, dutasteride is dose dependent, you should notice improvement on higher dosage.
Well, I've only been on dutasteride for 3 months now. ..I'm certainly not losing anymore hair, but the regrowth isn't spectacular either. I have a TON of little hairs that popped up on my hairline, after I began taking dutasteride.
So, I added Estradiol & 15% minoxidil. I think that's a winning combo to get my hairline back. But yes, certainly:
Higher dosage of dutasteride = better

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
@transam and @BaldingHelpMe can you share your info (links etc) which show that 1mg helps hair more than 0.5? Or is it based on your experience?

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
@transam and @BaldingHelpMe can you share your info (links etc) which show that 1mg helps hair more than 0.5? Or is it based on your experience?

I've been taking finasteride for over 14 years since 2001, when I switched to dutasteride 0.5mg nine months ago, my libido went through the roof! I knew that was not normal, and noticed shedding during showers. Two weeks ago, I increased the dosage to 2 caps daily; my libido died down a lot, and shedding stops. I can feel the difference.

finasteride has helped kept my hair for over 14 years, I knew libido shouldn't be high when you're on medication like finasteride/dutasteride; so having high libido certainly is not normal!

So yes, based on my experience, I do think for some men do need higher dosage.

yellowbluegrey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, how did you transition from finasteride to dutasteride? I'm not maintaining my hairline on finasteride after 3 years, thinking of moving onto dutasteride

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, how did you transition from finasteride to dutasteride? I'm not maintaining my hairline on finasteride after 3 years, thinking of moving onto dutasteride
Personally, I never made a transition...I remained on finasteride & just added dutasteride

Prada1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking finasteride for over 14 years since 2001, when I switched to dutasteride 0.5mg nine months ago, my libido went through the roof! I knew that was not normal, and noticed shedding during showers. Two weeks ago, I increased the dosage to 2 caps daily; my libido died down a lot, and shedding stops. I can feel the difference.

finasteride has helped kept my hair for over 14 years, I knew libido shouldn't be high when you're on medication like finasteride/dutasteride; so having high libido certainly is not normal!

So yes, based on my experience, I do think for some men do need higher dosage.

I thought it was normal. Apparently due to the body producing more test to compensate for the less DHT apparently?

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought it was normal. Apparently due to the body producing more test to compensate for the less DHT apparently?

I don't know. During the past 14 years on finasteride, I've never experienced high libido like I was on 0.5mg dutasteride for the past 9 months, it was not normal for me.

behindemusgo

Reaction score
1 year on 0.5 dutasteride and no results. Still losing hair. Actually I think my libido increased due to the medication, but i think i can't afford take two pills everyday. Too expensive for me

Wave

Established Member
Reaction score
8 years on finasteride. finasteride losing effectiveness. Went on dutasteride 10.5 months ago. Haven't noticed any slow in hair loss. Will give it 12-15 months. Went up to 1 mg last week, so hopefully your strategy will work for me.

Ashkan63

Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for over 10 years,but on and off and i can witness every time i have started finasteride the effectiveness has been different i dont know why but i think finasteride body shows different reaction to it,it works but sometimes better

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for over 10 years,but on and off and i can witness every time i have started finasteride the effectiveness has been different i dont know why but i think finasteride body shows different reaction to it,it works but sometimes better
What do you mean every time it's different? Regrowth? Hair loss? Shedding? Scalp itch?

I would expect that people gain hair up to 2 years then begin a slow decline back to baseline and below... If you take it on and off then it's very difficult to tell what, if any real long term effect it has. Inconsistent medication use just gives bad data.

Ashkan63

Reaction score
sometimes finasteride regrow your hair on much faster rate i dont know why but i am sure maybe its related to age as it has been long time i am playing with it and also sometimes it gives more sides and sometimes less,i am not giving bad data i am giving my own experience btw,but generally finasteride gets maximum effect over two years thats true

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
sometimes finasteride regrow your hair on much faster rate i dont know why but i am sure maybe its related to age as it has been long time i am playing with it and also sometimes it gives more sides and sometimes less,i am not giving bad data i am giving my own experience btw,but generally finasteride gets maximum effect over two years thats true
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying the information you provided isn't useful enough to draw any conclusions from. Like duration of finasteride usage, timeline of growth/shedding, duration of cessation, hair loss after cessation.
Timelines of usage/cessation and coinciding hair growth/stability/loss/shedding and making with age and side effects. These would allow us to derive more from your experience. Even then though, inconsistent use makes it difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions about long term efficacy of DHT inhibitors, which is really what we all want to know.

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been on dutasteride 1 year in 1 week. I haven't seen a slow down in hairless or decrease in shedding. Should I go up to twice a day? Any side effects? Also I am getting married in 3 months and don't want my hair to look worse. Should I give it 15 months at .5 first?