For Those Who Are Balding, How Many Hairs Did You Generally Lose A Day

Bzine

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know they say it’s normal to lose about 100 a day but that seems kinda high. For those who have went bald or are confirmed balding how many did or did you tend to lose daily and what did the hairs look like in terms of thickness and length?

manda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Counting the hairs you loose each day really doesn't mean anything. Some ppl loose 20 hairs and are balding, others loose 200 hairs and are thick af.
there are some signs though indicating whether you have male pattern baldness like you realize a significant increase in shedding for a longer time or you shed mostly miniaturized hairs (short pigmented hairs).

But just the number of lost hairs per day doesnt't mean anything

Baldingbob123456

My Regimen
Reaction score
The misconception is that balding people lose more hairs per day which isn't true. bAlding people lose the same amount of hair as non balding people. The difference is that with balding people the hair doesn't grow back and if it does it grows back finer and smaller in diameter. Don't use this to asses male pattern baldness

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Counting hair will drive you crazy. It is better just to take pictures and monitor it that way. I've been on finasteride for 3 years and I still lose a fair amount of hair, however, my hair hasn't really changed.

I believe that non-balding people truly do lose 100 hairs a day, they just don't notice it because why would they? They aren't balding. I showered at my girlfriend's place once and it look like a dead animal was in her shower drain after she got out.

Maave

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with the others that shed hairs isn't a great measure. My temples are receded and I only lost 10-30 per day (my hair is long and I run my fingers through it so it's easy to notice). Nothing that would cause alarm.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
My experience has been different than most people. For me losing hairs always lead to a visible loss in density. If im losing over 100 hairs per day then my hair quickly looks much thinner and I need to make an adjustment to my regime. I guess its different for everybody. Before balding I would never see any hairs anywhere. If i did it was like less than 10 for the entire day.

frank1980

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Counting the hairs you loose each day really doesn't mean anything. Some ppl loose 20 hairs and are balding, others loose 200 hairs and are thick af.
there are some signs though indicating whether you have male pattern baldness like you realize a significant increase in shedding for a longer time or you shed mostly miniaturized hairs (short pigmented hairs).

But just the number of lost hairs per day doesnt't mean anything
I'll agree heavily here. Part of the reason my hairloss blindsided me was due to the fact that I never shed. Perhaps that's part of the reason my hair thinning was so slow.