For those that use DR. Lee's minoxidil

kemmpo55

Reaction score
Does Dr. Lee's 5% formula (non retin-a, basic formula) produce less flaking than the average 5% generic minoxidil?

Ams99

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, and it's less greasy. dries fully in about 30 minutes. although, it leaves a white residue.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Ams99 said:
yes, and it's less greasy. dries fully in about 30 minutes. although, it leaves a white residue.

And this residue is the minoxidil which should be in your scalp and not on it.

Axon

Reaction score
Less residue, less grease. Dr. Lee's is the superior version.

On an aside, some pharmacies will make the Minoxidil for you and it comes out just like Lee's formulation.

Cassin

Reaction score
Axon said:

On an aside, some pharmacies will make the Minoxidil for you and it comes out just like Lee's formulation.

Yeah Axon, Dr Lee claims his stuff is just as good as legit Rogaine and that the Alcohol is the best delivery vehicle. Bryan you don't agree with this right? But we will see. I hope Dr Lee is right because I have decided to put all of my faith in his stuff and drop Rogaine for good.

Another thing, what Axon said is correct. I heard this mentioned before several times that pharmicies make the solution exactly like Dr Lees.

Here is what one of Dr Lee's staff members said to me in a recent email. Yeah he is a rep for the company so we must take it with a grain of salt but I am going to go ahead and trust him.

“The potential for irritant reactions and sensitization to propylene glycol has been recognized since 1952, when Warshaw and Herrmann noted reactions in patients in whom propylene glycol was used as a solvent for patch test allergens. Since then, authors have reported numerous cases of contact dermatitis from propylene glycol in a wide variety of topical preparations.â€

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
cassin said:
Axon said:

Yeah Axon, Dr Lee claims his stuff is just as good as legit Rogaine and that the Alcohol is the best delivery vehicle. Bryan you don't agree with this right?

Actually, I don't know that I don't agree with it! :) That's a complicated way of saying that Dr. Lee and his staff _may_ be correct about their vehicle with more alcohol being better than the Rogaine vehicle. That's based on the studies that tested vehicles with varying proportions of propylene glycol and ethanol, and found that the ideal proportion was 90% alcohol and 10% propylene glycol, which is obviously closer to the vehicle used by Dr. Lee. However, keep in mind that those were only in vitro tests using mouse skin. It's uncertain to what degree they correlate with applying solutions to human scalps, where trans-follicular absorption (as opposed to trans-dermal absorption) may well be an important factor.

Bryan