For those that finasteride didn't work.

DENI3D

Established Member
Reaction score
How long did it take for you to know? Did you try something else or just give up? I'm approaching 6 months on finasteride and losing just as much hair as I was 6 months ago. I feel my male pattern baldness is too strong to fight :(

Reactions: KSA

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I just see further thinning recession despite being on for 3 months. I'd say that would qualify as "not working". For now I will just add minoxidil. But in the long term, not sure what the next step is. dutasteride, or seti, or RU... I haven't decided yet.

And by the way, giving up without a fight is not an option for me. If I do go bald, I want to know that I tried everything and that I can say " I used all the technologies available at this time, and none of them worked, there was literally nothing that I didn't try and I still went bald so this is how it has to be at this point in time". Otherwise, I will forever eat myself with regret and I do not want that. So I will simply try one thing at a time until something works, or everything fails.

g.i joey

Reaction score
I've heard of people only seeing results after a year. I've been on around 5 months but have taken week breaks about 3 or 4 times but I could Def say my hairloss is alot slower than before, but hasn't come to a full stop. Unsure if that's due to the inconsistency or the fact that it doesn't work well on me. I just find it hard to believe that finasteride can't work cobsidering it stalls my hairloss and I started balding at 19

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How long did it take for you to know? Did you try something else or just give up? I'm approaching 6 months on finasteride and losing just as much hair as I was 6 months ago. I feel my male pattern baldness is too strong to fight :(
Ever saw results or switched to duta?

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I was also in the same boat as you after 6 months, I can say now that everything has thickened back up. Patience is key with finasteride definitely don't give up until at least 12 months, they say your results won't peak until around 2 years or so.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was also in the same boat as you after 6 months, I can say now that everything has thickened back up. Patience is key with finasteride definitely don't give up until at least 12 months, they say your results won't peak until around 2 years or so.
Did you shed continuesly for 6 months (like before treatment or even more?). I have lost 40% density, part of my hairline and a bald spot on my crown has appeared. Don;t know if its aggresive hairloss or propecia hasn't kicked in. Or i did and i am shedding for months straight?

My feeling says i have to switch to dutasteride.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on it for 2.5 years and my hair loss has continued since. I thought finasteride would stop my hair loss because I got on it within a year of my hair loss starting (20yrs old), but unfortunately it didn't stop it. I feel like it isn't doing anything, but in all honesty my hair would be probably worse if I hadn't taken it. It is so hard to judge how bad it would be by looking at my brothers hair or relatives because none of them have hair loss, and it doesn't really run in my family until 40s. Since taken finasteride my hairline has gone back another good .5 inches, and is thinning drastically in the center; also I am starting to have diffuse thinning which I didn't have when starting (still can make it look pretty thick with gel though). But honestly my hair loss could be much worse given how rapidly it hit in right before I started finasteride. I would keep taking the finasteride if you aren't have any side effects. And who knows, some people experience positive results even 1 year after starting treatment.
Also, upped my dosage to 2mg daily like 2 months ago. Doubt it will do anything but worth a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: KSA

Kendell

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you thickened up to the point that your hair loss is no longer detectable ?

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
When people respond with good or bad stories might be good to indicate which top of hair loss you have. I sort of get the feeling finasteride does less for the front and temples

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you thickened up to the point that your hair loss is no longer detectable ?
My hair loss wasn't really noticeable to begin with since I was in the very early stages, I had (and still have) some miniaturized hairs around the hairline but not to the extent that anyone would notice. However, a few months in to finasteride, my hair begin to get much thinner and had significantly less volume, but now everything has thickened back up to where I was pre treatment (maybe slightly better), but with one big difference; I don't shed anywhere near as much as I did prior to taking finasteride.

checkers2

My Regimen
Reaction score
yknow whats interesting is i have been taking Saw Palmetto for about 2 months or so now and have seen similar results. Hairs getting thinner in the front with mild sheds here and there. I plan on sticking this out but its tough

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My hair loss wasn't really noticeable to begin with since I was in the very early stages, I had (and still have) some miniaturized hairs around the hairline but not to the extent that anyone would notice. However, a few months in to finasteride, my hair begin to get much thinner and had significantly less volume, but now everything has thickened back up to where I was pre treatment (maybe slightly better), but with one big difference; I don't shed anywhere near as much as I did prior to taking finasteride.
I only had some temples (NW2) and good thick hair across my scalp before finasteride. Its was starting to get diffuse as well but now 6 months in my hair is very thin and lost a lot of volume. My whole scalp is now diffuse and see through and i am still losing ground fast.

When did you notice less shedding and thickening?

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only had some temples (NW2) and good thick hair across my scalp before finasteride. Its was starting to get diffuse as well but now 6 months in my hair is very thin and lost a lot of volume. My whole scalp is now diffuse and see through and i am still losing ground fast.

When did you notice less shedding and thickening?
For me it was around 7 months or so, but everyone is different, you should give it around 12 months before you consider quitting though.

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For me it was around 7 months or so, but everyone is different, you should give it around 12 months before you consider quitting though.
I hear a lot of people who noticed something happening to their hair after 6+months. But in those stories they also notice less shedding somewhere between 1-6months or a short period of extreme shedding somewhere between 1-6 months. Did you notice somethung in month 1 to 6?

g.i joey

Reaction score

Do you think a 30 day break after 5 months of consecutive use could've set me back? I'm praying that's the case cause now I'm on month 4 since then and I'm def below baseline.

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
14 Months in and i still dont se a diffrence still shedding, i Will stay on it 24 months, dont know if it has Done anything slightly thinner on the front