For the shaved guys

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to listen to Opie and Anthony till ant got fired. I now listen to Opie and Jim but dont really listen to Ants podcast because he kind of annoys me. Anyway I was listening to his come back cast (from rehab) this weekend and he made a pretty good observation to bald guys.

Shaved is the new comb over.
At first I laughed like it was a joke but then it really set in. He was right. Shaving your head is basically a comb over. Its hiding your problem (or trying). Ive said for the longest time that if you were REALLY owning your baldness youd just grow out a crazy long NW6 horse shoe and go about your day but man in reality what he says is true.

What do you guys think?

I have been teetering on shaving again just for the heck of it but this was making me re think the choice.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is ironic that the same guys who don't give a **** and "own it" have to go to the effort of bic'ing their entire head every like other day or something, I mean shaving your face is annoying enough, but the entire head? All around to the back? Pain in the ***, requires a lot of effort I'd say.

Yes he's right, the only guys who really "own it" get a short chop once a month, I mean that's at least realistic, but I guess guys who really grow out the horse shoe, even more ownage.

hairwegoes

Reaction score
At end of day we chose hair styles that we think suit us when we have hair. Some with long thick hair even choose buzz style, off course not many chose to make a shoehorse or receded style lol.

When you consider hair on your head you have to chose a style which you feel suits you best I guess. Some look better buzzed and also its got a 'cool' look if you can pull it off....The balding hair look is just not cool haha...

Also it can be a relief...Imagine once shaved you need never bother about your hair again...So maybe you can move on in life easier and even easier to maintain a buzz cut...

When you look in mirror at hair i guess you have to decide what you like and prefer, maybe you just prefer to look at the shaved head rather than one with balding patches?

- - - Updated - - -

It is ironic that the same guys who don't give a **** and "own it" have to go to the effort of bic'ing their entire head every like other day or something, I mean shaving your face is annoying enough, but the entire head? All around to the back? Pain in the ***, requires a lot of effort I'd say.

Yes he's right, the only guys who really "own it" get a short chop once a month, I mean that's at least realistic, but I guess guys who really grow out the horse shoe, even more ownage.

I guess bicing it clean is work...but if you just get it shaved once per month not so bad?

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have dark hair it might not look the best, oddly I guess going grey/white is better, or light blonde/light ginger. But dark horse shoe isn't great.

Some of the most miserable guys I've ever known were daily bic'ers, makes sense I suppose. They probably weren't even attractive with hair, and have to go through this daily effort to still look bad.

I also notice a lot of them have really good cars, despite earning average salaries. Like a brand new Audi TT, half their wage must go into these things annually.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
At end of day we chose hair styles that we think suit us when we have hair. Some with long thick hair even choose buzz style, off course not many chose to make a shoehorse or receded style lol.

When you consider hair on your head you have to chose a style which you feel suits you best I guess.

This.

Shaving your head is no more hiding your hairloss than shaving your face is hiding that you are no longer 14.

Heck, the haircuts that fullheads get where the sides are cut shorter than the hair on top, that is a more serious facial proportion concealment effort.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to listen to Opie and Anthony till ant got fired. I now listen to Opie and Jim but dont really listen to Ants podcast because he kind of annoys me. Anyway I was listening to his come back cast (from rehab) this weekend and he made a pretty good observation to bald guys.

At first I laughed like it was a joke but then it really set in. He was right. Shaving your head is basically a comb over. Its hiding your problem (or trying). Ive said for the longest time that if you were REALLY owning your baldness youd just grow out a crazy long NW6 horse shoe and go about your day but man in reality what he says is true.

What do you guys think?

I have been teetering on shaving again just for the heck of it but this was making me re think the choice.

I don't know if I agree with that. I am at the state where I have a blatant, see through comb over. No matter how I style it, you can see through it, all over the top of the scalp. I have been using RU, 15% minoxidil for almost four months, finasteride for a year, hair transplants, etc... This sh*t is weighing down my once liberated soul. I personally would need to shave it for me. I don't know which is worse yet, a life bald, or a life completely consumed by hair. For some of us there doesn't seem to be a reasonable middle ground. So, in my personal scenario, if I shaved, it would be for the exact opposite reasons of why I do the combover. Because there would be nothing left to hide and no reason left in this very futile, horrible battle.

blackg

Reaction score

h.l., In my opinion NOONE owns hair loss. Ultimately hair loss "owns" us. Let's not delude ourselves (I'm speaking generally here).

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I cannot even imagine the thought of growing out the horseshoe. Most bald men I've seen either shave it off or maybe buzz their head. The only guys I've seen that grow out the horseshoe are complete losers like Larry David or George Costanza, or very old men that just really don't seem to care anymore.

In terms of "owning" hair loss, I think that refers to those people who do not take any treatments and let hair loss take its course. I was at a power-lifter's gym earlier today and saw several bald guys (shaved heads, no horseshoe) and I wondered what they thought about it. I'd love to hear their opinions because they actually are bald and not just fullheads saying "oh, if I went bald or treatments didn't work, I'd simply accept it and move on" (which don't mean sh*t). These guys with shaved heads walked around somewhat confidently but you'd never know what they're feeling inside. I mean, I was bantering and lifting, and the outside observer would never ever suspect all of the suffering that I am going through.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
"The outside observer would never ever suspect all of the suffering that I am going through". Author- F2005

This is the fundamental plight of the bald man.

There are many missing parts of our personal experience that characterize the human condition.
Thanks in great part to hair loss' historical prevalence, latent baldness outcry may very well be one of the last war cries finally raised throughout the conflicted and vastly afflicted public arena & medical community that needs no formal introduction.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
This.

Shaving your head is no more hiding your hairloss than shaving your face is hiding that you are no longer 14.

Heck, the haircuts that fullheads get where the sides are cut shorter than the hair on top, that is a more serious facial proportion concealment effort.
This is true. However, the styling made by full heads is done once a month, every two weeks tops. Shaving head is done daily and it is not pleasant at all to do it. This is why I do not think shaving is "moving on". "Moving on" is not caring, the opposite of caring every day.
Then again, every one do what they want. But I do not think shaved people can tell the rest of us that we care and they don't. They have a style that allows them to say they do not care, which is different.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
"The outside observer would never ever suspect all of the suffering that I am going through". Author- F2005

This is the fundamental plight of the bald man.

There are many missing parts of our personal experience that characterize the human condition.
Thanks in great part to hair loss' historical prevalence, latent baldness outcry may very well be one of the last war cries finally raised throughout the conflicted and vastly afflicted public arena & medical community that needs no formal introduction.

I always liked you man, and I just added to your post rating. Yes, it is the fundamental plight of the bald man. People make the mistake that just because bald men are out and about in life, that they are completely fine and content with their hair loss. I am living proof that this is not true. And with regards to your writing, you make Shakespeare look like a third grader. I'd bet your field of work is very writing-intensive.

winnyblues

Banned
Reaction score

What do you guys think?

I shave my head daily or every other day and sometimes i think people feel like they look better with a shaved head rather than a horseshoe crown. Just my personal opinion though

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
People make the mistake that just because bald men are out and about in life, that they are completely fine and content with their hair loss. I am living proof that this is not true.
Agreed. And, on top of that, I believe that some people think that, like the fat person brought fatness on himself by eating too much (which is not necessarily 100% true), we somehow brought baldness on ourselves (which is 100% false).

TheLoneWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
He's not wrong, but I think he's missing the point. It should be no surprise people get haircuts that compliment their genetic makeup and look (which are normally things not within their control). A woman with a rounded face might opt for an entirely different hairstyle than one with a long face. Is the first woman compensating for having a rounded face then? It seems like a silly thing to say. She's simply going with the hairstyle generally perceived to make her look her best given her features and the times. There's nothing wrong with that and you certainly wouldn't denigrate her or pretend to make witty comments over the radio about it.

For the balding of the world, the idea is to make the most out of a non-ideal situation while still feeling relatively good about yourself. I may wish I had more hair just like a woman with a squared face may wish hers was rounder. In each case, all we can do is choose the best style to compliment us. In the 70's and 80's, for balding men, that style was usually the comb-over. At the time, it may have been viewed as the best way a balding man might look given his circumstance. It was never really meant to hide the balding itself, because let's be real, a comb-over has never fooled anyone. These days we're shifting towards a buzzed or shaved look, instead of the comb-over, because that's where society has shifted. Men like Brad Pitt and David Beckham have opted for the look for no other reason than because they wanted to, others have done it because of their baldness/thinning. Like one of the above posters said, 400 years ago we might have gone for some powder and a wig instead; 20 years ago it might have been the comb-over.

To call the buzzed/shaved look the new comb-over seems really asinine to me. I mean, duh? What else are we supposed to do, lol.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
He's not wrong, but I think he's missing the point. It should be no surprise people get haircuts that compliment their genetic makeup and look (which are normally things not within their control). A woman with a rounded face might opt for an entirely different hairstyle than one with a long face. Is the first woman compensating for having a rounded face then? It seems like a silly thing to say. She's simply going with the hairstyle generally perceived to make her look her best given her features and the times. There's nothing wrong with that and you certainly wouldn't denigrate her or pretend to make witty comments over the radio about it.

For the balding of the world, the idea is to make the most out of a non-ideal situation while still feeling relatively good about yourself. I may wish I had more hair just like a woman with a squared face may wish hers was rounder. In each case, all we can do is choose the best style to compliment us. In the 70's and 80's, for balding men, that style was usually the comb-over. At the time, it may have been viewed as the best way a balding man might look given his circumstance. It was never really meant to hide the balding itself, because let's be real, a comb-over has never fooled anyone. These days we're shifting towards a buzzed or shaved look, instead of the comb-over, because that's where society has shifted. Men like Brad Pitt and David Beckham have opted for the look for no other reason than because they wanted to, others have done it because of their baldness/thinning. Like one of the above posters said, 400 years ago we might have gone for some powder and a wig instead; 20 years ago it might have been the comb-over.

To call the buzzed/shaved look the new comb-over seems really asinine to me. I mean, duh?

Lonewolf, I do not think anyone meant to disparage people who shave their heads when they said it is the new combover. That would actually be asinine. I think what they meant is that some people tend to affirm that shaving your head is basically the main alley to solving all of your issues.
We all know it is not like that: you need to have the right head/body/face combo (as you said, some people can rock some styles; others can't) to shave your head.

With this regard, one says - mostly provocatively I guess - that shaving your head is like a combover: because it is a style that tries to hide an issue, that might be worse than the issue for some, and is NOT a solution to an issue.
I guess it was mostly a reaction to all those who downplay the issue of thinning hair by keeping on suggesting the same old same old: "JUST" shave it.

PS: for me, the "suggestion" to shave my head as been a head-ache for some time, because I have had people asking me "why don't you shave it" and I had to reply I had tried and looked bad because of my protruding ears. So that I now presented myself as bald and weirdly-headed.

TheLoneWolf

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe my allergy meds have made me loopy, Roberto. I'll have to revisit tomorrow and see if I've just posted some gibberish. :freak:

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Lonewolf, I do not think anyone meant to disparage people who shave their heads when they said it is the new combover. That would actually be asinine. I think what they meant is that some people tend to affirm that shaving your head is basically the main alley to solving all of your issues.
We all know it is not like that: you need to have the right head/body/face combo (as you said, some people can rock some styles; others can't) to shave your head.

With this regard, one says - mostly provocatively I guess - that shaving your head is like a combover: because it is a style that tries to hide an issue, that might be worse than the issue for some, and is NOT a solution to an issue.
I guess it was mostly a reaction to all those who downplay the issue of thinning hair by keeping on suggesting the same old same old: "JUST" shave it.

PS: for me, the "suggestion" to shave my head as been a head-ache for some time, because I have had people asking me "why don't you shave it" and I had to reply I had tried and looked bad because of my protruding ears. So that I now presented myself as bald and weirdly-headed.

And Roberto, I'd bet all of those people who told you to "just shave it" were not even close to being bald themselves.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
And Roberto, I'd bet all of those people who told you to "just shave it" were not even close to being bald themselves.
Of course. It's always easy when it is someone else's problem...

blackg

Reaction score
Yep, and they were probably buying shampoo as they said it.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
The main point of the comment he was making was that shaving your head wasn't fooling anyone. Id like to see if I can clip the audio out. He was basically saying in rehab you could see how shaving your head is pretty common now. He was saying how alot of the time you can tell ("tell") its guys trying to hide their baldness. Mind you Anthony Cumia had a hair transplant. He was saying that just like the comb over back in the day never fooled anyone this is the new comb over where bald guys can think their telling people "I shave my head because its tough and cool" when in reality its just covering up their problem and trying to slide by people.