Foltène

maloburo

Reaction score
Anyone here use Foltene shampoo. I've been using it for a couple weeks so far. Here's the blurb from the website.

The basis of Foltène Hair & Scalp Treatment is the patented active ingredient Tricosaccaride®, which is a unique combination of six mucopolysaccarides - substances which occur naturally in the body tissue, and are known to have an effect on hair growth. It has been proven in extensive clinical trials that Tricosaccaride® helps to:

•Stimulate the scalp
•Nourish the hair follicles
•Extend the Anagen (growth) phase
•Reduce the percentage of hair in the Telogen (fall) phase
•Improve hair strength and volume
•Regulate sebum and dandruff
•Aid the removal of dead skin cells and promote healthy cell renewal.

Foltène Hair & Scalp Treatment combines Tricosaccaride® with Vitamin Enriched Liposomes. The liposomes are enriched with Vitamin E - an anti-oxidant that protects against free radicals and pollution, Vitamin B5 - promotes natural growth and Vitamin H - regulates excess sebum which stifles the hair root. The liposomes protect these fragile vitamins and ensure that they are released only when they reach their target.

let me know what you think.
thanx
seeya

viperfish

Reaction score
I have used it before. It might make your hair look a little nicer, but it is not going to do anything for hairloss.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't know they still made the stuff. I was looking for it the other day. I did find an article by a respected hair transplant surgeon who advocated the use of mucopolysacharides as good adjuncts to hair transplant surgery. He stated that men with male pattern baldness have scalps deficient in these compounds. Foltene? Kevis? ..........hard to decide which one to start using. I have decided to add the polysacharides to my regimen, but have not decided which brand to go with yet.

viperfish

Reaction score
I really don't know x5o, but I have used both and foltene did not seem to help much, but kevis did. Foltene however is really cheap and Kevis is expensive!! I used to pick up the Foltene topical for like $10 at various beauty/hair stores. There was a store that used to be by me it was called Sally's "something" Salon (chain store). It was hair care place, but they used to have it really cheap there.

Hey if you can post that article or send it to me on mucopolysacharides I would like to read it.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sorry I did not clip it. I will have to look for it. I want to read it again myself. As stated in earlier posts, I too, have used Kevis in the past. Foltene, I have not. I, like you viper, had good results with Kevis. My hair looked good and my scalp felt healthier and I was not even using it as directed (using it MUCH less than instructions direct). Contrary to what you wrote though, Foltene IS expensive. I believe you were talking about Sally Beauty Supply. Ironically, I was at one of their locations tonight. They have Foltene in their computer inventory system but none in stock in any of the stores in my area. Their computer, oddly enough, did not list a price for the Foltene, but I have tracked it down on the internet at various locations and it costs over $50 for 12 vials that are similar in size to that of Kevis. I quickly did the math.........it's MORE expensive than Kevis. Foltene used to be carried by world famous Macy's Dept. store in the '80's. I worked for Macy's back then and saw the tremendous sales of the product, but was not personally convinced of it's ability to retard hair loss or grow hair. I could not find any research articles on it (no internet @ that time!) and decided against forking out the big bucks. I cannot remember how much it was going for back then, but do recall it was expensive.

As far as you buying it at Sally's for around 10 bucks, I don't think so. I believe you are confusing Foltene with Folicure. Folicure products (a long line of them) are plentifuly stocked at every Sally's I have EVER been in. They have a polysacharide product that looks similar to the original Foltene packaging (little glass vials). I think Folicure was a direct knock-off of Foltene. I will not use the products though because I do not know if Folicure's manufacturer, Pantern (spelling?) is a reputable company. Plus all of their polysacharide boxes have a 1991 date on them and although this does not mean they were manufactured that long ago, I have to wonder, because the boxes "look" old, like they could have been back stock from a decade ago. Could be that it is no longer made and that Pantern is just selling off old stock through the Sally chain. Kevis is, by all appearances, a thriving company, and has been for many years and although that certainly is not proof that their products do as they claim, it is a good indicator that the products may perform as well as the company claims. Again, I was pleased with my results and had I had more 3rd party info. on the product, I probably would have stayed on it. I'll send you that article and anything else I can find that would interest you relative to mucopolysacharides and Hyaluronic Acid.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it me or does the first post that started this thread read like a sales pitch? Has the poster posted anything else Viper? Do you know him?

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Must be getting tired...........forgot I was a former investigator, and that it was simple to pull past posts here. Did so and it seems that Maloburo may be legit. His other posts seem normal. But the one above still remains VERY suspicious. I'm not completely convinced he is legit. If you are legit, Maloburo, my sincere apologies, but really guy, read what you wrote, it reads like the product's label.

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
x5o said:
If you are legit, Maloburo, my sincere apologies, but really guy, read what you wrote, it reads like the product's label.
Well, he did say it was a "blurb from the website."

viperfish

Reaction score
No I'm postive it was not folicure! I used to be able to get foltene from the drug store too and it came in vials. However, at some point they switched to putting the topical in a larger vial. I am completly positive it was foltene, but maybe I'm off on the price. It may have been 20-30 dollars for like a months supply. The last time I went to that hair store (Sallys beauty, etc) they did not have it so I stopped using it.

Have you looked into Kevis's new product, called dht fighting enzymes booster?? It is supposed to make the topical 3X times better and takes an offensive action aganist dht (at least that is their sales pitch). I'm very interested in it and trying to find more info (research,etc). I'm going to call or email them to find out more.

viperfish

Reaction score
x5o was this the study you were talking about??

J Korean Med Sci. 1987 Sep;2(3):157-65. Related Articles, Links

A clinical study of topical mucopolysaccharides & polydeoxyribonucleoprotein (Foltene) therapy in alopecia.

Lee KS, Myung KB, Kook HI.

Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Ewha Womans University.

We performed clinical trials to evaluate the therapeutic effects of Foltene in patients of the several types of hair fallings. Thirty patients with male pattern baldness, alopecia areata and seborrheic alopecia were included in this study. Foltene was applied every other day for 40 days, and followed by maintenance therapy of twice application a week. The duration of whole therapy was 6 months. We conclude that Foltene is an effective and agent for male pattern baldness, alopecia areata and seborrheic alopecia from the following results. Ten patients with male pattern baldness was treated with Foltene for 6 months. Foltene had therapeutic effects of 50% in hair regrowth, 70% in decreased hair falls, 30% in decreased dandruff, 50% in decreased seborrhea. Thirteen patients with alopecia areata was treated with Foltene for 6 months. Foltene had therapeutic effects of 61.6% in hair regrowth, 53.9% in decreased in hair falls, 53.9% in decreased dandruff, 77.0% in decreased seborrhea. Seven patients with seborrheic alopecia was treatment with Foltene for 6 months. Foltene had therapeutic effects of 85.8% in hair regrowth, 57.2% in decreased hair falls, 42.9% in decreased dandruff, 85.8% in decreased seborrhea. The degree of therapeutic success was related to the duration of therapy. The side effects were as followed: itching sensation developed in 2 patients (6.7%); tingling sensation in 3 patients (10.0%); burning sensation in 1 patient (3.3%); erythema in 3 patients (10.0%).

Petchsky

Reaction score
Problem with that study though is that it was men suffering from male pattern baldness and SD. Get rid of the inflammation and chances are you will get regrowth even if your were not suffering from male pattern baldness.

I think the study makes it seem more effective against male pattern baldness than it is... even if it does help

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
My Bad...........he did say that what he posted was a blurb from the ad........Anyway, my apologies for not reading more carefully.

Viper, that is NOT the study..........I will keep looking.

Also, Foltene switched to a large container, but still sells the vials through certain distributers.

viperfish

Reaction score
X5o,
I called kevis yesterday and they are sending me the research on their new product that they developed to increase the effectiveness of the topical. It is a 10-15 page report on it that I will post if you wanna read it. It is basically a powder containing additional enzymes that you add to the topical (supposed to improve it by 3x). The guy I talked to yesterday at kevis said he would send it to me and that he had sent the info to some doctor last week. After reading the info the guy from kevis said the doctor called back a couple of days later and ordered it. The guy from kevis said it is complicated reading, but he would send it. Man they sure make sh*t sound good!!! Anyways I will post it when I get it.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks. I was going to call them but I have been sick all weekend. Their web site has not been updated with the new product info. yet.

viperfish

Reaction score
Well I expected to get the research by now and I have not. Just checked their website and no the new product was not there.

viperfish

Reaction score
X5o,
I received the research on the new kevis product. It is quite interesting and I believe I will be starting the kevis soon. The only problem is that it is 14 pages long . I attached the information here, however it lacks some of the graphs used, etc. It pretty much looks like crap posted here. If you want the original copy send a private message to me with your email address and I will send it to you. I found it to be quite interesting. Here it is:

HSOR
"HSOR" is a new topical treatment for hair-loss. "HSOR" is designed to improve
Kevis lotion by adding to its formula an innovative active ingredient: a pool of
enzymes able to chemically process DHT into inactive ingredients.
"HSOR" enzymes combined with Kevis will fight DHT’s harmful effects on follicles
at two levels:
1. preventing DHT binding to receptors
2. processing DHT to inactive compounds before it can even bind to receptors
"HSOR" new product is designed to be the combination of:
- a solution; Kevis extra strenght lotion
- a lyophilized powder; a pool of enzymes complexed with liposomes (natural
lipids in submicronic sizes)
The powder is stored in a sealed container and will be added to the solution prior to
use.
After adding the powder to the solution, agitation is required to complete dissolution.
The powder shall be mixed to the solution only immediately before applying the
mixture to the scalp.
Care and management of hair following the application of "HSOR" are identical to
those of Kevis lotion.
ENZYMES
Enzymes are biological catalysts, they speed up chemical reactions.
Enzymes are globular proteins, their molecules are round in shape. They have an
area, usually thought of as a pocket-shaped gap in the molecule, which is called the
active site. Substrates bind to this active site and are altered in their structure, or even
broke down into smaller molecules.
Many enzymes require the presence of an additional, nonprotein, cofactor to be fully
active. As established in our test, "HSOR" enzymes require a cofactor derived from
vitamin B3: NAD.
A “pool of enzymesâ€

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Guys lets keep this in the unproven section. You can go nuts there. Thanks!!! :)

HairLossTalk.com