Follow my finasteride and nizoral story

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all. 25 year old male here. Been receding since I was 23, just noticed the crown going a couple months ago.

Been on 1.25 mg a day of finasteride (Proscar) since Dec 12/2015 and just started nizoral 1 percent yesterday. Been shedding for about a week now. Crown looks worse than it did before. Getting down on myself. Seeing hairs come out in the shower and when I run my hand through my hair. This never happened before finasteride. Will post updates.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
It sounds like a finasteride shed dude. The finasteride will push out the weak hairs and new stronger hairs will grow in their place. Best of luck.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
One month in on finasteride today. One week on nizoral shampoo. Doing Monday Wednesday Friday for the nizoral. Feel like it's getting worse m.. But I know that's normal.

First day using nizoral my hair looked terrible after. The next two times its looked better after. So that's good. Ill do monthly updates on my story for anyone who is interested in a regime without min/rogaine

shookwun

Reaction score
:worthless:

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
I only go on this site on my mobile and don't know how to upload pics.

For those interested I feel like the nizoral is making my hair look thicker .. A little dry as well still. Trying to use conditioner on off days. Shedding is still minimal.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
7 weeks in. Cut nizoral down to 2 times a week. Seems very harsh.
Also my hairline is getting destroyed.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
nizoral is extremely harsh! I think 2 times a week is definitely over doing it, despite what people may say. It can also worsen your hair texture in a non-related male pattern baldness matter.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
nizoral is extremely harsh! I think 2 times a week is definitely over doing it, despite what people may say. It can also worsen your hair texture in a non-related male pattern baldness matter.

Really? My hair loss is pretty aggressive I'd say. And most of what I've read is every other day or three times a week.

Do you recommend once a week?

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
The itching seems to have stopped. Lasted the first 4 or 5 weeks I would say. Still shedding a bit.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair is definitley worse than ever. Beginning to see some more sides as well.

johnson222

Reaction score
I'ts the shedding man cut your hair and stop thinking about it and after 1 year of using the treatment look at the results.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm trying to spend less time looking in the mirror and analyzing but it's really hard.

On my mind all the time as I'm sure lots of people here would agree.

male pattern baldness sucks

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
3 months in !

Hairline getting worse still. Shedding smaller hairs in the shower now.

Possibly some improvement in the crown? Maintenance at least.

Libido improving

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
So I recently got a hair cut. A little shorter than I've been going since my hair loss kicked into overdrive.

About 15 weeks in on finasteride 1.25mg. I thought my crown was maintaining or even improving while my hairline got way worse.

Took a picture of my crown today and I was horrified. It's worse. Way worse.

Anyone know a generic timeline for finasteride sheds ? At the 4 month mark is shedding still to be expected.

I know the usual 'give it a year and assess'. But I'm just curious about the shedding.

Cantloseanymore

Reaction score
In the mobile site at the bottom there is an option to switch to fill site. You will then be able to upload pics. Without them as another user has said it's very difficult for people to comment and advise?

- - - Updated - - -

Meant full site...Sorry

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it's been roughly 5 months.

I got a haircut today. Further confirmed what I already knew. My hairline is getting worse fast. My hair is also thinning quicker.

However there has been slight improvement on the crown! Which I'm very happy about.

Btw, Toppik is great. I just use a little every now and then if I'm going out.. Definitley helps and works/looks great!

thatguywelbz

Established Member
Reaction score
Mate the same happened to me. You will always find extreme views on the internet regarding the pros and cons of anything. People love to be told they are right. So here is my anecdotal experience.

First time I tried finasteride it absolutely destroyed by hairline and my crown. The shedding was horrible. I had lost more hair. I did what many in this situation do. I quit. Then it came back to baseline but it was too late. After waiting another 1-2 years I was back on finasteride and minoxidil and nizoral. Now things are getting better but I feel if I had been on it forever my scalp would look much different. It's like bodybuilding. I use to go to the gym. Now all my gains are gone because I stopped for some stupid reason and now I have to do it all over again. It feels like waster years. Don't waste your years like I did. Rest is up to you tbh.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

I'm in this for the long run. I can handle the drug, most minor sides I got have gone away. No plans to quit at all.

KO21

Established Member
Reaction score
well everyone ,

It's time for my 6 month update.

I've been on finasteride 1.25 daily since December 11, 2015. Also using nizoral 1% 1-2 times a week.

Just passed my 6 month mark. My hair has thinned on top significantly and my hairline has receded quite fast the past 6 months. However, the crown has maintained or slightly improved.

I'm disappointed overall. I didn't think my hairline would, or even could, get this bad within 6 months. I am happy with what it's done for my crown though.

I will be remaining on finasteride for atleast another 6 months and consider adding dutasteride if I continue to see little to no results.