Follicum Announces First Healthy Volunteer Dosed With FOL-005

Tracksterderm

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
FOL-005 is a product that is supposed to be able to both promote or inhibit hair growth. Read more about it here.

On 19 January 2016 the first healthy volunteer received treatment with FOL-005, initiating the clinical phase I/IIa safety/efficacy study according to Follicum’s previously communicated time plan. Previously FOL-005 has shown effective inhibition of hair growth on living human skin tissue in vitro but this is the first time it has been used in man.Treatment of around 30 healthy volunteers is planned with the primary purpose to investigate the safety and the secondary purpose to investigate the efficacy of the candidate drug FOL-005.
Finalization of the study and communication of the results is expected during 2016.

The study is being performed at the Clinical Research Center for Hair and Skin Science (CRC) at the university hospital Charité in Berlin, Germany.

Press release in english can be found here

abcdefg

Reaction score
There is really no evidence or proof it works presented here. No proposed method of action, or anything. Once it has evidence like trials, or something maybe its worth discussing.

Tracksterderm

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is really no evidence or proof it works presented here. No proposed method of action, or anything. Once it has evidence like trials, or something maybe its worth discussing.

There has been preclinical studies that shows better results than minoxidil:
http://www.follicum.se/en/drug-projects/hair-growth-stimulation-fol-005-s/

The preclinical efficacy studies have primarily been performed at a contract research laboratory in India (Dabur Research Foundation). Dabur have previously performed similar studies with minoxidil (the active ingredient in Rogaine®) and in comparison with these results Follicum’s compounds stimulated (in preclinical comparable studies) hair growth much faster and produced hair growth over a much larger area than minoxidil

I know, it's probably nothing to get really excited about, but it is great that they have initiated trials with actual patients and that they are on their own time-line. They also say they want to present data from these trials before end of 2016.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

Replicel2018

Reaction score
Cots

Remember the last news from Aderans?

Hellouser,

I donated to your trip to Miami. Just wanted to inquire was there any word from ken W? Also, I know Cots denied you a personal interview but did you by chance get the recording of him speaking in general at the main conference when he presented?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hellouser,

I donated to your trip to Miami. Just wanted to inquire was there any word from ken W? Also, I know Cots denied you a personal interview but did you by chance get the recording of him speaking in general at the main conference when he presented?

Hey dude,

I did speak with Dr. Washenik.... buuuuut. We segwayed, badly, lol. But that's not to say I didn't get any information from Dr. Washenik. What happened was that we first talked about our upbringing and history with hair loss, we talked about what we use, and I mentioned some of the experimentals I'm on. This topic actually lasted a while. Our conversation was postponed to a later time which didn't give me a whole lot to chat about things, but we spent quite a bit of time talking about our ordeal with hair loss.

I should mention, I asked if I could record audio of the conversation and Dr. Washenik preferred not to. So, I don't have any audio recording.

Next, I did take notes, but because the conversation was relatively short in regards to kerastem, I didn't have many, AND because we sorta rushed the last bit about kerastem, I couldnt keep up with note talking, questions AND answers. So, they were limited. Cherry on top: I LOST MY NOTES!

But, he did mention Kerastem is already available (I'm pretty sure). He mentioned ARI is up for sale (afaik, Aderans owned ARI) and mentioned the IP is cheap but running further trials would be expensive. So, it's not like the tech is completely finished.

After that, he mentioned he's on the board of directors (I think) at Follica and, like Dr. Cotsarelis, couldn't comment on development of Follica.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey dude,

I did speak with Dr. Washenik.... buuuuut. We segwayed, badly, lol. But that's not to say I didn't get any information from Dr. Washenik. What happened was that we first talked about our upbringing and history with hair loss, we talked about what we use, and I mentioned some of the experimentals I'm on. This topic actually lasted a while. Our conversation was postponed to a later time which didn't give me a whole lot to chat about things, but we spent quite a bit of time talking about our ordeal with hair loss.

I should mention, I asked if I could record audio of the conversation and Dr. Washenik preferred not to. So, I don't have any audio recording.

Next, I did take notes, but because the conversation was relatively short in regards to kerastem, I didn't have many, AND because we sorta rushed the last bit about kerastem, I couldnt keep up with note talking, questions AND answers. So, they were limited. Cherry on top: I LOST MY NOTES!

But, he did mention Kerastem is already available (I'm pretty sure). He mentioned ARI is up for sale (afaik, Aderans owned ARI) and mentioned the IP is cheap but running further trials would be expensive. So, it's not like the tech is completely finished.

After that, he mentioned he's on the board of directors (I think) at Follica and, like Dr. Cotsarelis, couldn't comment on development of Follica.

Hey, I know you said in another thread that you have a lot on your plate now, but is that everything for the congress? You mentioned elsewhere that you were going to write up a summary of the congress including your thoughts on developing treatments. Is that still your plan?

Also, what was Aderans? Was funding the only issue it had or was it also the product that was no good? I saw on BTT the was a crowdsourcing page a few years back, but I don't know what the outcome of that was.

Thanks.

Justinian

Reaction score
Hey dude,

Do you have any guesses about why everybody is so secretive about Follica? If they want funding shouldn't they be spreading news about themselves?

Since Dr Cotsarelis was involved with Seti/PGD2, do you think there is any chance they could be in negotiations with Allergan about buying the Follica IP? If seti was a miracle cure by itself, you would think it would have shown in previous trials. It's possible that Allergan thinks seti+bim is the key. But maybe seti+Follica tech/wounding is what is needed for regrowth?

Replicel2018

Reaction score
Thanks

Hey dude,

Thanks for the reply! When you say "Segwayed" do you mean to say that Ken was not as willing to speak with you on the actual development. Also you say he mentioned kerastem is already available? So he means to say it is already on the market..? Last I heard it was in phase II? Lastly, I know I asked this before but did you have recording of Cotseralis and his regular presentation ? I know he reclined a private interview but what about the main presentation he gave at the conference? Thanks!

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! When you say "Segwayed" do you mean to say that Ken was not as willing to speak with you on the actual development. Also you say he mentioned kerastem is already available? So he means to say it is already on the market..? Last I heard it was in phase II? Lastly, I know I asked this before but did you have recording of Cotseralis and his regular presentation ? I know he reclined a private interview but what about the main presentation he gave at the conference? Thanks!

At the Kerastem website, they show two clinics listed, one in Switzerland and the other in Japan. I am guessing this is what he meant by "available".

Tracksterderm

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a small update, as I appreciate any news about developments myself, I thought I would also share things I come across.

Follicum receives allowance for patent in the USA:
http://www.follicum.se/en/press-release-en/follicum-receives-allowance-for-patent-in-the-usa/

And they are presenting next week:
http://www.follicum.se/en/news/follicum-will-present-at-sedermeradagen/

They are conducting a trial which should present data sometime this year.

Lets hope more and more companies/researchers around the world try to solve this from different angles

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How does follicum work? Is it only a substance like minoxidil or finasteride?

Switzer

Established Member
Reaction score
Small update from follicum:

http://follicum.se/en/follicum-patent-approved-in-russia/
Follicum patent approved in Russia

Thanks to this approval from ROSPATENT, Follicum has protection in Russia for the company’s peptides in general and for the stimulation of hair growth specifically. The patent number is 2604797 and it is valid until the year 2032.

CEO Jan Alenfall comments:
– Russia will be an important market for Follicum in the future, so this is very good news. Especially in view of the great interest in the company’s products from Asia that are strengthened by this patent in Russia. With this formal approval from Russia, this patent is now approved in the US, Europe, Australia, and Hong Kong. We therefore have a very good protection for our candidate molecule in significant markets around the world.

Last edited: