Follica - Other New Patent 2017 - Methods For Treating Baldness And Promoting Hair Growth

cocona

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My understanding of the situation is that follica did studies for alternative topicals than minoxodil to use in tandem with their wounding device but with poor results. The one I remember was with lithium gluconate.

Basically they investigated other topicals and those other topicals + skin disruption were inferior to minoxodil + skin disruption.

http://www.hairlosscure2020.com/fol...ts-a-best-case-scenario-release-date-of-2018/

Conjecture:
Follica really wants a topical they can patent to go with their wounding device and that is what they have spent all this time trying to get. They failed to get anything better than minoxodil or some cocktail containing monoxodil.

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
On behalf of this forum, for your hard work and dedication toward fighting the good fight, informing the masses, and raising the average IQ of this place by at least a few points, I give you, Noisette, my body...

...do with it as you please..

Also, do you mind giving the source for the second item you posted? The pdf.

Lol ! Yes of course, here is the source for the pdf : https://www.beursduivel.be/Forum/Upload/2017/9806841.pdf

If only this would work for scars/pitting/cobblestoning then I'd be pretty happy. Grow follicles through wounding and then somehow regenerate the skin back to normal.

Costarelis did mention that but idk if he was directly relating it to the device they plan to use.

Yes it is related in the patent : " In a specific embodiment, the needling device is adapted to perform needling of a human scalp for promoting hair growth, of skin tissue for skin repair, or of scar tissue for scar removal "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I try to find some informations . There are 3 patents (2017). There are 2 drugs tested in the last one
DP-2 antagonists used: AM211 (Amira), Setipirant (Actelion; data not shown).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Patent " Methods for generating new hair follicles, treating baldness, and hair removal " Inventors: George Cotsarelis, Mayumi Ito . Publication date : Jul 11, 2017

The present invention provides methods of treating baldness in a subject and generating new hair follicles, comprising epidermal disruption and administration of a compound that promotes a differentiation of an uncommitted epidermal cell into a hair follicle cell. The present invention also provides methods for hair removal and inducing hair pigmentation

(...) FIG. 23. Pigmented hair follicle neogenesis observed in the skin of Dkk1-expressing mice following EDIHN A. 3.2× magnification. B. 8× magnification.

(...) epidermal disruption by a method of the present invention converts the skin back, in another embodiment, to an embryonic-like state, in which the follicle regenerates. In another embodiment, a subsequent window of opportunity is created, during which the number and size of new HF in the skin can be manipulated. In another embodiment, the administration of a compound or factor that promotes a differentiation of an uncommitted epidermal cell into a HF cell during this window causes regeneration of larger and more numerous HF. The morphology of HF in abraded skin is similar to that of embryonic HF (Example 1-2 and subsequent Examples), and the markers expressed are similar as well.

(...) EDIHN,” in another embodiment, refers to HF neogenesis induced by disruption of the epithelial layer. In another embodiment, the term refers to HF neogenesis induced by abrasion. In another embodiment, the term refers to HF neogenesis induced by wounding. In another embodiment, the term refers to HF neogenesis induced by disruption of the epithelial layer, followed by administration of a compound or factor that promotes a differentiation of an uncommitted epidermal cell into a HF cell

2. Patent " Methods and compositions for inhibiting or reducing hair loss, acne, rosacea, prostate cancer, and bph " Inventors : Cotsarelis and Luis Garza. Publication date : Dec 1, 2016

[0467]
In another embodiment, the present invention provides a pharmaceutical composition, comprising an inhibitor of prostaglandin D2 activity and a pro-hair growth prostaglandin. In another embodiment, the pro-hair growth prostaglandin is a prostaglandin E1. In another embodiment, the pro-hair growth prostaglandin is a prostaglandin E2. In another embodiment, the pro-hair growth prostaglandin is a prostaglandin F2a. In another embodiment, the pro-hair growth prostaglandin is any other pro-hair growth prostaglandin known in the art. Each possibility represents a separate embodiment of the present invention.

Patent " Single nucleotide polymorphic alleles of human dp-2 gene for detection of susceptibility to hair growth inhibition by pgd2 " Inventors: Cotsarelis. Publication date: 2 Feb 2017

DP
-2 antagonists reversed PGD2-mediated human hair growth inhibition in a dose-dependent manner in vitro by reducing PGD2-triggered apoptosis and maintaining proliferation of keratinocytes. Hair follicles from approximately half of the alopecia patients exhibited little susceptibility to PGD2's effect in vitro. SNPs in the human DP-2 gene were identified that are associated with hair growth inhibition by PGD2. These findings underscore the role of DP-2 in regulating hair growth and indicate that DP-2 can be an effective approach in preventing and/or treating androgenetic alopecia in patients sensitive to PGD2. Furthermore, the SNPs identified here can be used to identify patients who will benefit from treatment.

DRUGS:
[0089] DP-2 antagonists used: AM211 (Amira), Setipirant (Actelion; data not shown).

2.jpg
3.jpg

1.jpg

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
epidermal disruption by a method of the present invention converts the skin back, in another embodiment, to an embryonic-like state, in which the follicle regenerates. In another embodiment, a subsequent window of opportunity is created, during which the number and size of new HF in the skin can be manipulated

Nice

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
So all the Minoxidil non responders, of which there are many are out of luck.

This could be a good question for Follica if they've addressed that.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So all the Minoxidil non responders, of which there are many are out of luck.

This is science, not art or something; if a drug works for some people, but not others, there is a reason why and I suspect much of Follica's research investigated this.

Secondly, as someone earlier cherry picked in an attempt to make it look like microneedling + wounding is a failure, there was a follow up to the Dhurat study that was done on 4 men who had been using finasteride + minoxidil for several years with no improvement. The underwent 8 - 10 sessions with follow up at 18 months and all of the men had some new hair and reported a sustained response.

To me, that last part is interesting because as far as I know, there is presently no published study that shows if the response is sustainable if the patient drops conventional therapy after X amount of time post results. Also to my knowledge, successful at-home microneedlers have all continued finasteride after the fact.

Truth is, we don't really know if the new hair is susceptible to the androgens or not because no one has been brave enough to risk it.

but either way, regular minoxidil non-responders are probably not going to be a huge issue.

Last edited:

H

Reaction score
Is this what we can probably expect from this? I mean ya we can get into the whole lighting critique on patient 2 but 1 looks pretty legit.

Attachments

• IJT-5-6-g008.jpg
    IJT-5-6-g008.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 677

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol ! Yes of course, here is the source for the pdf : https://www.beursduivel.be/Forum/Upload/2017/9806841.pdf

Yes it is related in the patent : " In a specific embodiment, the needling device is adapted to perform needling of a human scalp for promoting hair growth, of skin tissue for skin repair, or of scar tissue for scar removal "

I try to find some informations . There are 3 patents (2017). There are 2 drugs tested in the last one
DP-2 antagonists used: AM211 (Amira), Setipirant (Actelion; data not shown).

1. Patent " Methods for generating new hair follicles, treating baldness, and hair removal " Inventors: George Cotsarelis, Mayumi Ito . Publication date : Jul 11, 2017

The present invention provides methods of treating baldness in a subject and generating new hair follicles, comprising epidermal disruption and administration of a compound that promotes a differentiation of an uncommitted epidermal cell into a hair follicle cell. The present invention also provides methods for hair removal and inducing hair pigmentation

(...) FIG. 23. Pigmented hair follicle neogenesis observed in the skin of Dkk1-expressing mice following EDIHN A. 3.2× magnification. B. 8× magnification.

(...) epidermal disruption by a method of the present invention converts the skin back, in another embodiment, to an embryonic-like state, in which the follicle regenerates. In another embodiment, a subsequent window of opportunity is created, during which the number and size of new HF in the skin can be manipulated. In another embodiment, the administration of a compound or factor that promotes a differentiation of an uncommitted epidermal cell into a HF cell during this window causes regeneration of larger and more numerous HF. The morphology of HF in abraded skin is similar to that of embryonic HF (Example 1-2 and subsequent Examples), and the markers expressed are similar as well.

(...) EDIHN,” in another embodiment, refers to HF neogenesis induced by disruption of the epithelial layer. In another embodiment, the term refers to HF neogenesis induced by abrasion. In another embodiment, the term refers to HF neogenesis induced by wounding. In another embodiment, the term refers to HF neogenesis induced by disruption of the epithelial layer, followed by administration of a compound or factor that promotes a differentiation of an uncommitted epidermal cell into a HF cell

2. Patent " Methods and compositions for inhibiting or reducing hair loss, acne, rosacea, prostate cancer, and bph " Inventors : Cotsarelis and Luis Garza. Publication date : Dec 1, 2016

[0467]
In another embodiment, the present invention provides a pharmaceutical composition, comprising an inhibitor of prostaglandin D2 activity and a pro-hair growth prostaglandin. In another embodiment, the pro-hair growth prostaglandin is a prostaglandin E1. In another embodiment, the pro-hair growth prostaglandin is a prostaglandin E2. In another embodiment, the pro-hair growth prostaglandin is a prostaglandin F2a. In another embodiment, the pro-hair growth prostaglandin is any other pro-hair growth prostaglandin known in the art. Each possibility represents a separate embodiment of the present invention.

Patent " Single nucleotide polymorphic alleles of human dp-2 gene for detection of susceptibility to hair growth inhibition by pgd2 " Inventors: Cotsarelis. Publication date: 2 Feb 2017

DP
-2 antagonists reversed PGD2-mediated human hair growth inhibition in a dose-dependent manner in vitro by reducing PGD2-triggered apoptosis and maintaining proliferation of keratinocytes. Hair follicles from approximately half of the alopecia patients exhibited little susceptibility to PGD2's effect in vitro. SNPs in the human DP-2 gene were identified that are associated with hair growth inhibition by PGD2. These findings underscore the role of DP-2 in regulating hair growth and indicate that DP-2 can be an effective approach in preventing and/or treating androgenetic alopecia in patients sensitive to PGD2. Furthermore, the SNPs identified here can be used to identify patients who will benefit from treatment.

DRUGS:
[0089] DP-2 antagonists used: AM211 (Amira), Setipirant (Actelion; data not shown).

View attachment 60370 View attachment 60371
View attachment 60369

WOW It sure does! I can't believe I missed that!!

I think I just had an orgasm in my shorts. Thank you for this info and for this climax Noisette!

So damn happy I think I'm going to start painting some happy little trees.

Fak you cobblestoning and pitting and scars! Be gone from this deflorated scalp!

brohawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope people reading these patents realise that the claims don't actually have to be true all you have to do is look at the thousands of patents on hair loss and no cure.

So, according to you, b/c minoxidil is mentioned in the patent (along w/ many other potential substances), Follica is most definitely nothing more than just microneedling + minoxidil. However, people should also take any/all claims mentioned in a patent w/ a grain of salt. K, makes sense.

Christian Miller

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's impossible for me. I'm DUPA. All my scalp is affected by miniaturization. I have zero healthy hair for cloning.
What's up, Willy?
You are the guy from Quebec, right?
Well, it's either getting injections once in a while or there's CRISPR getting involved in the distant future, which means you get new hair resistant to miniaturization.
All in all, just shaving it off and accepting reality would do you much more good.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So, according to you, b/c minoxidil is mentioned in the patent (along w/ many other potential substances), Follica is most definitely nothing more than just microneedling + minoxidil. However, people should also take any/all claims mentioned in a patent w/ a grain of salt. K, makes sense.

No that's not what I said at all, the claims and embodiment's are two different things. The only thing they can patent is the methods specified in the patent which is basically perturbation and minoxidil. However they can claim whatever they like and still get a patent, the patent office does not require you prove any of your claims.

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
I was a good to great responder to minoxidil. At least for a while. Unfortunately I developed contact dermatitis (or something similar) to any lotion containing the ingredient so this looks like it's going to be a huge let down for me. :(

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If figure 2-5 are the same person then holy shite those results are amazing. That'd be recovery from the point of no return.

Gives me a bit more hope on follica's potential results.

If those pictures a legit I'd wager that the treatment would have better potential than follicas. The reason being that the PRP is rich in growth factors that are needed after the wounding occurs. Unless follica has a FGF9 compound in the works I would not expect results beyond the Indian study.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If figure 2-5 are the same person then holy shite those results are amazing. That'd be recovery from the point of no return.

Gives me a bit more hope on follica's potential results.
Definitely nice to see cosmetically significant regrowth if that's the same guy - which it looks like it is.

It's just hard to get excited for any study that has such a small sample size.

P.S. More Indian researchers behind microneedling studies.