Follica - Good News!

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The more I looked into the anecdotal "evidence" the more talk there seemed to be of people saying head and shoulders caused significant hair loss. Its just people talking and people tend to ascribe hair loss to pretty much anything.....but still if you thought something was gonna help, and help a lot then you might not expect that.
Actually my mistake as Head and Shoulders is mostly pyrithione zinc. Then again a lot of brands use selenium nowadys.....perhaps its not so "damning" as i first thought.
hh

Charly

Reaction score
Yes but what is considered excess? 55 mcg is recommended usually excess amounts are much higher than the recomended dose and how much is absorbed by the body as a topical? MB soon enough.......

michael barry

Reaction score
I have read through the experimental section of the patent application.

I feel like I must be missing something guys.

All it looks like is this:

They use dermabrasion after using NAIR on it (whch gets mouse fur all in the same cycle)

They suppress WNT signalling for 9 days (by simply using DKK-1)

They dont suture or put band aids on the wound, and just let it heal naturally.

De Noveau hairs form

If that is all there is to this, one could simply take green tea extract capsules about twice a day for nine days after sandpapering their scalp. I was thinking some induction of WNT was necessary by using a drug was necessary somewhere in this (like using lithium chloride), but I sure dont see where they discuss it. The only external thing I see them doing is applying dkk-1 to INHIBIT wnt signalling for nine days after wouding so the new hairs are pigmented and not white. To get white hairs only, it looks like just wounding and letting the skin naturally heal (which might include not getting the scalp wet or putting any kind of bandage on it for at least a 7 days as thats when the researches noted that they noted newish hair-like structures had formed and were growing) might be necessary.

Harold,
Do you see where they are pulling something different in the experiments that what Ive roughly described above?

My only concern with the human hairs in the experiments being formed was the fact that we dont know the androgen levels in the immunodeficient mice that the human skin was grafted ontop of. It still may be necessary to inhibit DHT for these hairs to continue beyond the first phase, or even if they would form with adult levels of DHT. I hope not, but I'd still consider it something of a concenr.

cal

Established Member
Reaction score
I've succeeded in creating/reawakening a few hair follicles just goofing off with some needling & sandpaper on a small spot. Some hairs were even fully dark colored.

But a few random hairs are not a dense normal-looking layer of hairs that will grow many inches long like my original hair. I certainly can't imagine producing anything that's "cosmetically significant" with these methods.

If there's any worth to this, then those small chemical changes & inhibitions described must be causing a MAJOR change in how the skin heals.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Barry, must the surpressing of WNT-signaling be through topical means or can it be through internal too?
My guess is that it should be through external/topical.

However, there seems to be an undeniably interesting mechanism, the surpression of WNT + dermabrision.

And since the experiment as depicted above through Barrys Algorithm does not seem to include any danger one should rather easily be able to attempt it?

I hope Costarelis and his gang are really onto something here.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont know michael are we talking about this patent
http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo= ... SPLAY=DESC

I see a lot of places where they are talking about adding something to promote the stem cell to become a hair follicle rather than skin cells. Lithium is mentioned:
[000168] In another embodiment, a method of the present invention further comprises the step of contacting the scalp, eyebrow, or scarred region with a lithium compound. In one embodiment, the lithium compound contains a lithium ion. In another embodiment, the lithium compound contains a lithium atom.

[00071 ] In another embodiment, the present invention provides a use of (a) a ?-catenin protein;
etc
this one caught my attention:
[00082] In another embodiment, the compound or factor that promotes a differentiation of an uncommitted epidermal cell into a HF cell is a Transforming Growth Factor (TGF)-betal protein. In another embodiment, the compound or factor is a nucleotide encoding a TGF-betal protein. In another embodiment, the compound or factor is an activator of a TGF-betal protein. In another embodiment, the compound or factor is a TGF-beta3 protein, hi another embodiment, the compound or factor is a nucleotide encoding a TGF-beta3 protein. In another embodiment, the compound or factor is an activator of aTGF-beta3 protein. In another embodiment, the compound or factor is an antagonist of a TGF-betal protein, hi another embodiment, the compound or factor is an antagonist of aTGF-beta3 protein. Each possibility represents a separate embodiment of the present invention.

the fact that they are talking about tgf-beta 1 and antagonists says they are leavig their options open at least...
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
bobs said:
Barry, must the surpressing of WNT-signaling be through topical means or can it be through internal too?
My guess is that it should be through external/topical.
definitely topical - wnt is not something you want expressed everywhere. Even in hair follicles you only want to "ping" the pathway and not overload it - that leads to aberrant growth and tumours.
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Harold, Bobs, guys............

I looked around last night for things that have been shown to inhibit PGD2 activity. I found some interesting things and some "contradictory" things. Here is what I found:

&Ginger has been shown to decrease PGD2. Ginger extract could be a possibility, but as a topical? Prostaglandin D2 helps you sleep..............Also, how many hours would the INGREDIENT IN GINGER be active in PGD2 suppression?

Could be a good one.

*An acid in cold water fish, eiposacenteioic acid (I probably mispelled and butchered that word), also inhbits prostaglandin D2. How much of this acid is in fish oil, how much do you have to take, and how many hours is it active (so do you need multiple doses per day, etc.?)

#* Green tea, although it inhibits prostaglandin D2, also inhibits wnt expression and we all know about its effect on angiogenesis. Those are things to consider. Is some wnt-expression at a minimum level desirable in scalp hair, or do you not need it at all after embryonic development of hair? Again, how long is green tea catechin ECGC active in human skin and how many times a day does one have to drink it or topically apply it?

Ibuprofen supposedly inhibits prostaglandin release, but I dont know if it effects the prostaglandin D-2 that we are concerned with.

Ibuprofen hits pretty much everything across the board including the "good for hair" PGE2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Eico ... thesis.svg
Ibuprofen and aspirin work at inhibiting COX-1 and COX-2.
still might be worth something if PGD2 does more damge than PGE2 does good. But if PGE2 is essential.....
At any rate this was interesting
J Invest Dermatol. 2003 Oct;121(4):661-8.Click here to read Links
Expression of cyclooxygenase isozymes during morphogenesis and cycling of pelage hair follicles in mouse skin: precocious onset of the first catagen phase and alopecia upon cyclooxygenase-2 overexpression.
Müller-Decker K, Leder C, Neumann M, Neufang G, Bayerl C, Schweizer J, Marks F, Fürstenberger G.

Section of Eicosanoids and Epithelial Tumor Development, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Heidelberg, Germany. K.Mueller-Decker@dkfz.de

Cyclooxygenase (COX)-1 and -2 catalyze the key reaction in prostaglandin biosynthesis. Whereas COX-1 is found in most tissues, COX-2, with a few exceptions, is not expressed in normal tissues but becomes transiently induced in the course of inflammatory reactions. In many neoplastic epithelia, COX-2 is constitutively overexpressed. Here we show that COX isozymes are spatiotemporally expressed during morphogenesis of dorsal skin epithelium of NMRI mice. COX-1 and COX-2 mRNA and protein were detected in embryonic and postnatal epidermal tissue by RT-PCR, northern blot, and immunoblot analysis indicating that both isoforms may contribute to prostaglandin production. Being barely detectable in interfollicular epidermis and resting hair follicles of adult mice, COX-2 protein appeared in embryonic skin first in epidermal precursor cells and later on in the basal cells and the peridermal layer of the stratified epidermis. In the course of pelage hair follicle morphogenesis, COX-2 remained expressed in the basal interfollicular compartment and, in addition, became apparent in elongated hair germs and hair pegs and later on in the outer root sheath cells of the distal and proximal hair follicles as well as in basal sebaceous gland cells. During the subsequent synchronous phases of hair cycling, COX-2 expression declined in catagen, was barely detectable in telogen, and was reinduced in the basal outer root sheath and basal sebaceous gland cells of anagen hair follicles. COX-1 immunosignals were detected predominantly in the interfollicular spinous and granular layers of the developing, neonatal, and adult epidermis but not in follicular epithelial cells of developing or cycling hair follicles. Dendritic cells in the interfollicular epidermis and distal hair follicles were also COX-1-positive. Transgenic overexpression of COX-2 under the control of a keratin 5 promoter in basal cells of the interfollicular and follicular epidermis induced a precocious entry into the first catagen stage of postnatal hair follicle cycling and a subsequent disturbance of hair follicle phasing. Furthermore, transgenic mice developed an alopecia. Inhibition of transgenic COX-2 activity by feeding the specific COX-2 inhibitor valdecoxib suppressed the development of alopecia, indicating that COX-2-mediated prostaglandin synthesis is involved in hair follicle biology.
So "wiping out" PGE2 activity (presumably) didn't seem to hurt as much as wiping out PGD2 presumably helped.
On the flip side guys have been all over this for years on hairsite and other places looking at the inflammation angle. I never really followed it but i am sure stuff like this has prob been done before. Maybe someone wants to hit the archives.

Ketoconazole inhibited three or four prostaglandins, but not the one in question. In effect, it probably allows for more prostaglandin D2 to be metabolized form the more available aniachronidic (Im virtually certain I mispelled that) acid from which prostaglandin D2 is made.

Interesting.

Asprin is a "weak" prostaglandin inhibitor.

There are a couple of synthetic drugs that inhibit prostaglandin D2 exclusively.
[quote:1a3wu3c0]

These are the expensive hard to acquire bastards...
Latanaprost DOES NOT inhibit prostaglandin D2, but does "get" three or so of the other prostaglandins.

Not all prostaglandins are apparently bad for hair, but they do control alot of functions. They can make smooth muscles contract or relax, and control alot of inflammatory processes apparently on whether or not an area is to be inflammed. I dont care what they do, I just want to f*** with what ever one suppresses hair growth.

[/quote:1a3wu3c0]

They are amazingly diverse in their effects on different tissues.

Harold, that is fantastic info about the induction or blockage of DKK-1 during the wounding period (the first nine days I guess if Im interpreting it correctly), and then its blockage. If Im understanding this correctly, one would seemingly be better off being off finasteride for about a couple of days before the "wounding" and then staying off it for about nine more days afterwards to make sure MORE DKK1 was happening in the scalp so the new hairs were black and not white, all the while being on an internal (ginger a few times a day) prostaglandin D2 inhibitor? These are wild assumptions. I couldn't read the patent on my browser for whatever reason..........................without getting out magnifying glasses and literally reading page after page to get to the good stuff. The document wouldn't let me skip to where I wanted to read. I'd still be up reading the thing if I did that

Yeah that in browser pdf thing is awful. And you cant save it if its longer than 50 pages.
I dont know exactly what the timing is and it sounds like that is something that Cotsarelis et al want to mess around with now but yeah it seems like there is a time for wnt and a time for no wnt.

Whatever happens Harold, I think Costarialis noting the severe uptick in D2 prostaglandin in bald scalp and how it suppresses hair growth in mice makes it a target in alopecia to be considered along with TGF-beta and DKK-1 (and PKC, TNF alpha) as the "main" inhibitories in head hair growth along with DHT.

Yeah its interesting stuff. I guess the patent was filed first and then the publications will come out. Priorities ;)
hh

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
I should REALLY do some work
Cancer Cell. 2006 Jan;9(1):6-8.Click here to read Links
Connecting COX-2 and Wnt in cancer.
Buchanan FG, DuBois RN.

The Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA.

Both the cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and Wnt signaling cascades are active in the majority of colorectal cancers. Nevertheless, a direct link between these two key pathways has remained elusive. Recent reports show that one of the bioactive products of COX-2, prostaglandin E2, activates components of the canonical Wnt signaling system. The findings reviewed below reveal important crosstalk between these pathways, which may provide opportunities for the development of new drugs for treatment and/or prevention of colorectal cancer.

in COX-2 transgenics To determine the e¡ects of COX-2
expression on pelage hair follicles in dorsal skin, transgenic mice
were generated expressing a COX-2 transgene under the control
of a K5 promoter in basal cells of the IFE and the pilosebaceous
appendage of skin (Neufang et al, 2001). Homozygous COX-2
overexpression in the skin as well as in the epidermis (Fig 4A)
occurred at the expected locations, i.e., in the basal cells of the
sebaceous gland and the ORS (Fig 4B) and the IFE (not
shown). COX-2 overexpression resulted in highly elevated PGE2
levels in the skin of adult mice (Fig 4C) and correlated with the
sparse hair coat (Fig 4E).
As documented by histological analysis, transgenic overexpression
of COX-2 did not alter early stages of postnatal hair
follicle morphogenesis as shown for P4 (Fig 5A,D). In
transgenic skin at P11, however, mainly catagen follicles were
observed, whereas in the skin of age-matched wild-type mice
growing hair follicles predominated. This indicates a precocious
entry into the catagen phase of the ¢rst hair growth cycle in
transgenics (Fig 5B, E). Thereafter, the regular hair follicle
staging in wild-type mice with prevailing catagen hair follicles
at P17 (Fig 5C), catagen and telogen follicles at P20 (Fig 5G),
predominantly anagen follicles at P29 (Fig 5H), and only
telogen follicles at P49 (Fig 5I) was strongly disturbed in COX-2
transgenic skin. The e¡ects of transgenic COX-2 culminated in a
strong predominance of catagen hair follicles instead of telogen
hair follicles at P49 (Fig 5F, J^L). The quantitative histomorphometric
analysis revealed a percentage distribution of
catagen, telogen, and anagen hair follicles of 67% to 7% to 26%
in skin sections of transgenics compared with 14% to 0% to 86%
in wild-type skin at P11 (Fig 6A,B). In wild-type skin, however,
89% of hair follicles had entered the catagen phase not until P17,
whereas 41% catagen follicles were found in transgenic skin at
this time point. Signi¢cant di¡erences in hair follicle staging
were also found at P20, P29, and P49. At P49, the latest time
point of synchronized hair follicle cycling in wild-type mouse
skin, 85% of follicles were telogen and 15% were anagen,
whereas 94% of follicles were catagen and 6% anagen in COX-
2 transgenic skin (Fig 6A,B).
At the age of 3^10 mo mice had developed an alopecia that was
characterized on a histological level by a loss of hair follicles.
Only a few hair follicles £anked completely hairless areas of
transgenic skin compared to the skin of 10-mo-old wild-type
mice (Fig 5M^O). On the other hand, the sparse hair coat
visible early after birth is due to a reduced follicle density and
a delayed emergence of the hair shafts (Neufang et al, 2001).
In addition, substantial sebaceous gland hyperplasia became
apparent in transgenic skin around P29 (Fig 5H,K).
When transgenic mice were fed the COX-2-selective inhibitor
valdecoxib (Talley et al, 2000) for 3 mo postnatally, PGE2 levels in
dorsal skin were similar to those of wild-type skin, whereas
transgenic littermates fed with a drug-free control diet had
highly elevated PGE2 levels (Fig 4C). Moreover, the transgene-
characteristic impairment of the hair coat did not develop
under valdecoxib treatment, showing that valdecoxib-caused
suppression of COX-2 activity was responsible for this e¡ect
(Fig 4E,F).

So in mice PGE2 overexpression was correlated with the alopecia and loss of hair follicles. They didnt seem to look at PGD2 however.
hh

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it WNT-signalling that the other company was working on, with funding from P&G, and then backed out last year because of possibility of cancer.

michael barry

Reaction score
Ive now been able to read the experimental section of the patent.

1)The steps were pretty much easy. They wounded the sking through dermabrasion with a felt-wheeled instrument. There was no blood.
2)They block wnt expression (they used DKK-1, ecgc from green tea and curcumin also block wnt) for nine days during the re-epilithializaition period
3)They add wnt protiens thereafter.

Thats it.

Lithium chloride mimics wnt-in the skin (hint) for after day nine

They tried this with HUMAN SKIN grafted onto the backs of immuno deficient mice. If they didn not block wnt for the first nine days, they got hair with no pigment (white hair). If they blocked wnt with dkk-1, they'd get dark hair. They had hair at day 25 and 50-something. The importance of having hair at both days was that it showed that the human hair cycled normally and didn't go into a rest phase like mouse hair would at that time apparently. It really was human hair with color

Im going to cut and paste example three from the patent:

EXAMPLE 3

EDIHN-INDUCED HAIR FOLLICLES GENERATE HAIRS

[000196] At 25 and 45 days after wound induction, wound sites contained new hairs (Figure 11 „ left and right panels, respectively). New hairs appeared to lack pigmentation, except when the wnt pathway was inhibited, using Dkk-1 (Dickkopf-1) during the first nine days after wounding (see Example 10).

[000197] These findings indicate that EDIHN-induced HF function normally; Le. are capable of generating hairs.

Here is the human skin experiment (Experiment 7)

EXAMPLE 7

EDIHN-INDUCES NEW HAIR FOLLICLES IN HUMAN SKIN

MATERIALS AND EXPERIMENTAL METHODS

Grafting

[000210] Discarded human, adult scalp from the preauricular area obtained from plastic surgery was grafted onto immunodeficient (scid) mice. The graft was bandaged and allowed to heal, then was used in the wound healing study 3 months after grafting.

RESULTS

[000211 ] To determine whether human skin responded to EDIHN as did mouse skin, human skin was grafted onto SCID (immuno-deficient) mice and subjected to depilation by plucking and wound induction three days later. Seven days following wound induction, formation of new HF was observed in the human skin (Figure 2 IA; arrows indicate new HF) by hematoxylin and eosin staining of paraffin embedded tissue sections.

[000212] In additional experiments, adult human skin was grafted onto mice., abraded, and examined at 7 days post-abrasion. New HF were generated in the human skkx, which mimicked normal hair follicle formation during fetal development, as evidenced by staining for SlOO A6 or S100A4 (Figure 21B).

P-7628-PC

[000213] The results of this Example show that EDIHN can be used to generate hair growth inhuman skin as for mouse skin.

I wonder if ginger can be made into a topical. It would seem that using nizoral a couple of times a week with a topical Prostaglandin D2 inhibitor would be very beneficial. There would still be DKK-1, TGF beta, TNF-alpha, and PKC to be concerened with.
Harold might have a different assessment, but if Prostaglandin D2 ALONE could keep mouse hair from re-entering anangen at day fifity and its expressed 4.4 times as much in bald scalp..........................I think it might surpass PKC and TNF-alpha in importance in the balding process and perhaps be one of the prime movers in the T-cell response to hair in the first place. We know that DKK-1 and TGF-beta are made by the dermal papilla proper though....................so they would seemingly come before the prostaglandins. Im wondering if prostaglandins can actually stand in for androgens at the receptor site though. I seem to remember reading that they could stand in for some steroid hormones in the correct circumstances.................Its interesting stuff. He's obviously (costarialis and his team) have found a few things useful.

Its also nice to actually discuss a finding with people who are willing to actually look into it. At other places, its seemingly just dismissed as "another mouse result" with no-one willing to look at the chemicals involved in the process and how they are mirrored in human alopecia.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Funny, I often put ginger in my green tea to drink because I really like the taste. It should be able to be made into a topical
if you mix it up with a mixer after peeling the outer layers off and then pour it down in the nizoral-bottle with some green tea extractions?

The dermabrasion should be only 5mm.

Withnail

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the Body Shop Ginger shampoo with Piroctone Olamine in it could be good because it also contains err... Ginger?

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
As someone else pointed out this procedure has similarities with the CURIS-program that was evaluated as too risky by the investors, this worries me a bit, I wonder how similar they really are.

Curis Inc. together with Procter & Gamble are developing a hedgehog agonist to be used as a drug for treatment of hair growth disorders.[27] This failed due to toxicities found in animal models.

What toxicities might they be speaking about?

A comparison can be done by someone who knows this kind of stuff, I'm clueless except that WNT seems to refer to
proteins of some sort. Or am I correct when I say that the CURIS-program was about using the Hedgehog signaling pathway to make hair whilst the Follica-approach is about closing the WNT-signaling-pathway for 9 days after dermabrision to make hair?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedgehog_% ... gnaling%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wnt_signaling_pathway

michael barry

Reaction score
The wnt pathway was actually obstructed for nine days (to get pigmented hair instead of white hair) after the dermabrasion by using dkk-1. Follica wants to us an-already in use and FDA approved drug to suppress wnt for the first nine days, however.

After the first nine days post-dermabrasion (or laser resurfacing, which they have discussed using), they will apply wnt-protiens to the skin with a carrier vehicle to get it through the dermis. Apparently they can do this with another FDA approved indication already in use, or so they claim. New hairs were supposedly visible before 30 days, so the wnt protiens would not be applied for very long.

Hedgehog, wnt, and beta-catenin are all pathways that come up in hair indications over the years. Wnt is something that can be blocked with green tea and curcumin also.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
On the prostaglandin front - those same mice I mentioned earlier that overexpressed cox-2 andlosthair follicles and had sebaceous gland overddevelopment were looked at by Cotsarelis in his patent centred on PGD2 and compared to human balding areas.
EXAMPLE 14: K14-COX2 MICE EXHIBIT PGD2 ELEVATION AND HAIR GROWTH

DEFECTS

[00530 ] K14-COX2 mice were examined for hair phenotype. The mice exhibited very low gross

10 hair coat volume, without significant change in hair follicle number and anagen percentage of mice at day 29, demonstrating an early defect in hair growth. Sebaceous hyperplasia was also detected at this age. By day 39, sebaceous glands had enlarged further and many hairs were miniaturized (Figure 1 I A).

[ 00531] To verify the contribution of L-PGDS to the phenotype of K14-COX2 mice, immunohistochemistry was performed with antibodies against L-PGDS. Adult mice expressed L-PGDS in an infiltrate of dermal cells, hair sheath fibroblasts, and melanocytes. Staining was detected in anagen dermal papilla in wild-type mice (Figure 1 IB).

[ 00532 ] PGD2 were measured in the Kl 4-COX2 mouse skin via mass spectrometry. PG D2 was 10- fold more abundant than PGE2 in K14-COX2 mice (820.4 ng/gram of tissue vs. 82.4 ng/gram). PGD2 levels were also significantly higher in K14-COX2 mice than in wild type mice in telogen (420.9 ng/gm of 20 tissue, p value=0.01). PGE2 was also elevated, although less so, compared to wild type mice (60.5 ng/gram of tissue). Slight elevations in PGJ-M, a metabolite of PGD2 were also detected (Figure 12).

[ 00533 ] These findings corroborate the above androgenetic alopecia findings in humans, by showing that elevations of PGD2 are associated with alopecia and sebaceous gland hyperplasia in mice as well.

The first part in bold shows these mice had not just hair loss but miniaturized hair follicles as well as sebaceous gland hyperplasia which sounds a hell of a lot like balding skin. You can see the same stuff reported in the studies where this line of mice were first developed.

I think the second part in bold is interesting because it shows that PGD2 seems to be a stronger growth inhibitor than PGE2 is a growth promoter. I think this is important because knocking out a whole bunch of prostaglandin production is probably a lot easier for us than selectively knocking out PGD2.

Heres some more stuff from humans. Cant remember if I already posted some of this stuff - its becoming a bit of a blur....

[ 00517 ] In addition to the above genes, levels of the lipocalin (brain) isoform prostaglandin D2 synthase (PGD2S) were elevated in bald scalp relative to haired scalp (Figure 7A). To confirm this finding, PGD2 levels were tested in bald and haired tissue from 3 patients. PGD2 was elevated in all bald samples, at an average fold increase of 11.6 (Figure 7B). This increase in PGD2 was verified in 1 individual by mass spectrometry. PGD2 was detected as 17 pg/mg of tissue in haired scalp and 75.5 pg/mg in bald scalp, representing a 4.4 fold increase in bald tissue. PGF2a also was slightly elevated in bald scalp with 6.7 pg/mg in haired scalp and 15.9 pg/mg in bald scalp. PGE2, however, exhibited the reverse trend with PGE2 present at 22.7 pg/mg in the haired scalp and 12.0 pg/mg in the bald scalp (Figure 7C).

20 [ 00518 ] The RT-PCR results were further confirmed in 2 individuals not measured in the original array study by quantitative RT PCR, demonstrating a 5.23 and 10.7 fold increase of L-PGDS in bald scalp over haired scalp (Figure 7D). Immunohistochemical staining of L-PGDS revealed an increase in bald scalp, with L-PGDS appearing in the cells along the fibrous root sheath populated by dermal fibroblasts, as well as in scattered locations intrafollicularly. Given the lack of expression of L-PGDS in hematopoietic cells, increases in L-PGDS were not from the sparse inflammatory cell infiltrate occasionally present in Androgenetic Alopecia.

[ 00519 ] Thus, PGD2 synthase and PGD2 are targets for ameliorating common baldness, e.g. Androgenetic Alopecia.

EXAMPLE 11: PGD2S LEVELS ARE ELEVATED IN SKIN WITH SEBACEOUS GLAND
HYPERTROPHY

[ 00526 ] Sebaceous gland hypertrophy is induced in mice, using a nude mouse grafting model with an altered dermal component, using grafts with an unaltered dermal as a negative control, and PGD2 levels are measured in the both types of skin. PGD2 levels are elevated in the areas of the skin exhibiting sebaceous gland hyperplasia, indicating the role of PGD2 in sebaceous gland hyperplasia, acne, and rosacea.

EXAMPLE 12: PGD2S INHIBITION AMELIORATES SEBACEOUS GLAND
HYPERTROPHY

[ 00527 ] Mice with sebaceous gland hypertrophy are treated with inhibitors of PGD2, and extent of hypertrophy is determined. Sebaceous gland hypertrophy is ameliorated in skin treated with PGD2 inhibitors, but not in untreated areas of the same mice or untreated mice, confirming the role of PGD2 in sebaceous gland hyperplasia, acne, and rosacea.

EXAMPLE 13: APPLICATION OF PGD2S INDUCES ALOPECIA

25 MATERIALS AND EXPERIMENTAL METHODS

[ 00528 ] 25 day-old (corresponding to end of the first telogen stage) wild-type c57/black mice were treated with 200 ng of PGD2 (Cayman Chemicals) diluted in 200?l of acetone applied to the central back after shaving. Subsequent treatments were performed every 3 days, ending on day 40 for a total of 5 applications. Photographs were taken on day 46 of life, after the end of the 2nd anagen. In the second
experiment, mice were shaved and treated with 10 ?g of PGD2 dissolved in 200 ?l of acetone on days 66
and 69 of life, and then photographed on day #121.

RESULTS

[ 00529 ] The effect of PGD2 on hair growth was directly determined by applying PGD2 to the backs of mice. Application of PGD2 induced alopecia following the second anagen phase (Figure 10A). In another experiment, application of PGD2 was shown to prevent hair regrowth over 50 days after the last application (Figure 10B).

Wow - hair regrowth is still inhibited almost 2 months after the last application of PGd2 as Michael mentioned.
An average increase of PGD2 expression of 11.6 between balding and non-balding areas. And as Bryan will appreciate they controlled for the expression of genes elevated by UV light to make sure that the gene expression did not reflect the fact that balding areas get much more UV exposure.

At any rate atm I am on a topical of lithium carbonate and ibuprofen. Ibuprofen inhibits both COX-1 and COX-2 and should knock down production of both hairpromoting and hair inhibiting prostaglandins but what the hell. I have to say my scalp has felt a lot less itchy the last few days and after the first application I noticed a distinct absence in the pain/discomfort where my crown rubbed against the pillow as i sleep. I guess I hadnt realised how bad that had been since quitting finasteride. On the other hand that doesnt mean its gonna do squat for stopping hairloss. But maybe if nothing else I can lose hair a littl more comfortably. Will see how it goes.
hh