Foligain 5%minoxidil With 5% Trioxidil - Colour & Consistency

Nickstar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I'm Nick. New member here.

I created this post to get people's experience of Foligain's Advanced Regrowth Treatment with 5% minoxidil and 5%Trioxidil. I am hoping people can fill in the gap in my knowledge about how the actual liquid is expected to look/smell (see my question at the very end).

My past hairloss routine:
I have been using minoxidil lotion since around 2011 and I think it has helped me maintain a good head of hair. I started out using it twice a day then eventually reduced down to one application a day, at night-time, so that I would look less tired. I used DS minoxidil years ago but have used the Foligain brand for the last few years.

I have become concerned about my front hairline again so I decided it was worth an upgrade. I bought Foligain 5%minoxidil & 5% Trioxidil from Biovea as I wanted something that would reduce DHT whilst maintaining my minoxidil routine.

How I used the Foligain product:
I used the product over the last two months, once in the evening, on my temples and crown, using a pipette and my fingers rather than the spray. The liquid was a toffee-brown colour and quite thick. It smelled a bit like flat cola. I liked the thick consistency of it; it wasn't really greasy like ordinary minoxidil can be. Drying time was probably a bit better too. If wet, the product would leave brown marks on pillows though, but it washed out fine.

My Experience over the last two months:
I have enjoyed using the product. I prefer the thick consistency to regular minoxidil products. If a very bald man was using the product all over his scalp the brown colour might be a little unsightly unless spread properly. I put drops of it on my temples and crown before spreading it evenly with fingers; too wet looking to be a wearable look but fine for night-time applications.

Sometimes when using regular minoxidil liquid I would have the urge to scratch my scalp which encouraged minoxidil flakes/dandruff to come loose and become a bit of a mess. With this product I don't really feel any urge to scratch my scalp, and dandruff has pretty much become a non-issue.

I feel I have been shedding more than usual at the temples and crown since using this product but I am also noticing new vellus hairs coming in quite quickly around my widow's peak, which I find encouraging. I have decided that I want to continue with the product and give it longer to observe the effects. But here's my issue...

My second order of the product:
I reordered the same product from Biovea but this time the liquid is thin with a light yellow colour and very greasy, not brown and thick. It also smells a bit like cola but with a greater smell of alcohol to it. The clear plastic sticker holding the box shut at the bottom didn't look as neat as if it had been stuck on in a production line. The bottle of product inside had a plain foil seal though, which did give a little reassurance. Both my first bottle and my second bottle of the product have the same expiry date: 05/2020

So my question to the forum is this:
How is Foligain Advanced Hair Regrowth Treatment (5%minoxidil/5%Trioxidil) actually supposed to look/feel?
Did they reformulate it and, if so, which version should I be expecting in future shipments?
Could the greasy yellow version even be fake?
Does anyone have any experience of both versions?

I plan to let Biovea know that I have experienced a great difference between the two orders of the same product. I live in the UK where Biovea and Amazon seem to be the only ways to get the product. It is a shame if the thick, brown version is one that is being phased out, as I was more than willing to keep purchasing it based on my experience so far.
If anyone has information or experiences I would be grateful to hear from you. Thanks

Nickstar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Biovea customer service has been very polite and they have asked to see a photo of how the two batches of the same product differ. This was the photo I sent. It would be good if Biovea actually got firm answers from Foligain about how the product should look these days (the expiry dates are similar, suggesting that both batches were made within months of each other). The pale version smells similar to the dark version but more alcoholic.

I've never used it but didn't Spectral DNC-N liquid go through a similar change in appearance? I'm guessing both the Spectral product and the Foligain product are quite similar.

Attachments

• 20180822_163606.jpg
    20180822_163606.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 727