Foam To Liquid = No Skin Penetration?

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At this point I think almost everyone on this forum is aware that you can easily turn minoxidil foam into a liquid. This would be helpful to save money and help keep the skin in good shape by avoiding pg.

The inactive ingredients that make up the vehicle for the foam minoxidil are as follows:

butane, butylated hydroxytoluene, cetyl alcohol, citric acid, denatured alcohol, isobutane, lactic acid, polysorbate 60, propane, purified water, stearyl alcohol

Let me just skip to the point. I don’t think that foam will work if it is turned into a liquid. I don’t believe the vehicle is strong enough. It might evaporate too fast before it can get into the skin because it doesn’t contain anything that acts as an emollient. Everybody hates liquid minoxidil because it is to oily but that oiliness keeps it from evaporating so it stays on the skin and eventually sinks in. Foam minoxidil has to be rubbed in instead of just applied to the skin as a liquid.

This foam to liquid advice is floating around. What do you guys think about the skin penetration of foam turned into a liquid?

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i melted foam into liquid and regrew A lot of hair on it. So 100% it works. I’ve been doing that for over 7 years now actually.

HLV

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No I don’t rub it in because that just gets the product on your fingers. Just take a dropper, put it directly against the scalp and let it fall. I can guarantee melting foam to liquid works 100%.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No I don’t rub it in because that just gets the product on your fingers. Just take a dropper, put it directly against the scalp and let it fall. I can guarantee melting foam to liquid works 100%.
Could be that I’m just a bad responder than. I have been melting down foam for 6 months and don’t think I got anything but maybe maintenance. Has minoxidil held most of your hair for seven years? I’m switching to a minoxidil that isn’t foam and has no reason to not be twice as strong as regular foam. I just believe that there needs to be an adequate amount of an emollient or humectant that’s part of the vehicle.

Ryanr01234

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I apply the foam it turns into a liquid within seconds of hitting the skin. But I do use my fingers to spread the liquid to cover more scalp, not sure if I would call it rubbing it in though...

Would be interesting to see if you switching to liquid does improve your response to it

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Virtually everyone responds to oral minoxidil in a way that is rare for either foam or liquid. It has to do with the sufficient presence of an enzyme called sulfurotransferase which many of us lack in sufficient quantities needed to promote regrowth as opposed to mere maintenance which is the norm for the topical versions.

Fontaine

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Virtually everyone responds to oral minoxidil in a way that is rare for either foam or liquid. It has to do with the sufficient presence of an enzyme called sulfurotransferase which many of us lack in sufficient quantities needed to promote regrowth as opposed to mere maintenance which is the norm for the topical versions.
I thought the purpose of finasteride/dutasteride was to maintain hair. Then what the hell is the point of minoxidil...

By the way why do you take proscar + dutasteride? To save money instead of 2.5mg dutasteride?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought the purpose of finasteride/dutasteride was to maintain hair. Then what the hell is the point of minoxidil...

By the way why do you take proscar + dutasteride? To save money instead of 2.5mg dutasteride?
I guess my thought was that it was like wearing a belt with suspenders. They work slightly differently and they were covered by insurance (pretend to be MtF, then finasteride and duta are covered, lol). Both minoxidil and R.I.'s are great for maintenance and if you use them early enough, say before the age of 25, cosmetically significant regrowth of sorts might be available. But in the history of male pattern baldness, we never even had maintenance meds until the 1980's so we are at least able to do something unlike the previous generations going back in time essentially always in human history who just had to go bald and take it, so to speak. This is a bleak condition and the younger it starts, the bleaker it is.

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you take a shower, or after you work out, your body will still be warm and the foam will melt upon contact anyways.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you take a shower, or after you work out, your body will still be warm and the foam will melt upon contact anyways.
I don't understand even what the point of liquefying Rogaine is exactly. To avoid PG? Sounds like quite the hassle but to each their own.... It just seems that XY's are constant tinkerers whereas XX's just take their medication and don't try to flip the molecules to create racemic mixtures....:)

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't understand even what the point of liquefying Rogaine is exactly. To avoid PG? Sounds like quite the hassle but to each their own.... It just seems that XY's are constant tinkerers whereas XX's just take their medication and don't try to flip the molecules to create racemic mixtures....:)
Some people think it applies easier as a liquid. And yeah the PG thing may be part of why they use the foam. But IMO foam applies better, you can spread it before it liquifies so there's less waste. Whereas with the liquid it may just streak down but not cover much surface area, and you end up just wasting more. Or you could just be smart about it and take oral ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

whatintheworld

Reaction score
The liquid is a mess, but I use both liquid and the foam just to cover both bases.

I use foam x1 in the evening, and liquid x1 the next day. I also warm the foam can enough so that it comes out as a quasi-liquid, as it is easier to apply that way.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is not just the PG but also the ph of the solution. I have learned that my skin will accept alcohol but gets irritated if the solution is to thick, contains PG, and is too alkaline. It is really hard to find a solution that fits that criteria but I have.

I guess my thought was that it was like wearing a belt with suspenders. They work slightly differently and they were covered by insurance (pretend to be MtF, then finasteride and duta are covered, lol). Both minoxidil and R.I.'s are great for maintenance and if you use them early enough, say before the age of 25, cosmetically significant regrowth of sorts might be available. But in the history of male pattern baldness, we never even had maintenance meds until the 1980's so we are at least able to do something unlike the previous generations going back in time essentially always in human history who just had to go bald and take it, so to speak. This is a bleak condition and the younger it starts, the bleaker it is.
No offense but that is very very sad. A guy has to pretend he wants to be a female for them to be considerate and give medication for free. It’s not enough that a human being is desperate to regain confidence?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is not just the PG but also the ph of the solution. I have learned that my skin will accept alcohol but gets irritated if the solution is to thick, contains PG, and is too alkaline. It is really hard to find a solution that fits that criteria but I have.

No offense but that is very very sad. A guy has to pretend he wants to be a female for them to be considerate and give medication for free. It’s not enough that a human being is desperate to regain confidence?
It was a joke. People can claim prostate cancer if they want to be covered as a male....

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It was a joke. People can claim prostate cancer if they want to be covered as a male....
Oh ok.....well sometimes it’s like talking to a wall when you tell a Doctor you just want to try dutasteride to see if it works. I had to jump through hoops to get duta so getting it for free would be a shock.