Fluphenazine And Iloprost Induce Hair Growth Similar To Cyclosporine A (study)

Spice_Lord

My Regimen
Reaction score
From the study,

One of the proposed agents, fluphenazine (from the d 2 signature) actually induced hair growth in vivo (ED50: 2 mM for single application), and the subsequent application of 5 mM iloprost (from the d 4 signature) significantly enhanced the hair-growth effect of fluphenazine.

Fluphenazine alone caused hair growth induction in 7 days, replicating the effects of cyclosporine A. The percentage of mice experiencing hair growth in 7 days increased when iloprost was applied on day 4. However, iloprost does not cause growth on its own.

What's interesting is fluphenzine had the same pharmacophore unit as methylene blue. And Iloprost is active at all four of the PGE subtypes, but did not cause growth on its own. Which verifies the poor results of applying topical PGE2.

Be advised that fluphenazine is traditionally used as an antipsychotic and has some bad neurologic side effects related to its use.

There are several other agents listed that acted similar to CsA, one being yohimbine.

Attachments

• ishimatsutsuji2009.pdf
    525.8 KB · Views: 327

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
From the study,

One of the proposed agents, fluphenazine (from the d 2 signature) actually induced hair growth in vivo (ED50: 2 mM for single application), and the subsequent application of 5 mM iloprost (from the d 4 signature) significantly enhanced the hair-growth effect of fluphenazine.

Fluphenazine alone caused hair growth induction in 7 days, replicating the effects of cyclosporine A. The percentage of mice experiencing hair growth in 7 days increased when iloprost was applied on day 4. However, iloprost does not cause growth on its own.

What's interesting is fluphenzine had the same pharmacophore unit as methylene blue. And Iloprost is active at all four of the PGE subtypes, but did not cause growth on its own. Which verifies the poor results of applying topical PGE2.

Be advised that fluphenazine is traditionally used as an antipsychotic and has some bad neurologic side effects related to its use.

There are several other agents listed that acted similar to CsA, one being yohimbine.

Common side effects include movement problems, sleepiness, depression and increased weight.[1] Serious side effects may include neuroleptic malignant syndrome, low white blood cell levels, and the potentially permanent movement disorder tardive dyskinesia.[1] In older people with psychosis as a result of dementia it may increase the risk of dying.[1] It may also increase prolactinlevels which may result in milk production, enlarged breasts in males, impotence, and the absence of menstrual periods.[1]

Definitely would prefer Finasteride/Duasteride though always interesting to see possible modes of hair growth.

Spice_Lord

My Regimen
Reaction score
Common side effects include movement problems, sleepiness, depression and increased weight.[1] Serious side effects may include neuroleptic malignant syndrome, low white blood cell levels, and the potentially permanent movement disorder tardive dyskinesia.[1] In older people with psychosis as a result of dementia it may increase the risk of dying.[1] It may also increase prolactinlevels which may result in milk production, enlarged breasts in males, impotence, and the absence of menstrual periods.[1]

Definitely would prefer Finasteride/Duasteride though always interesting to see possible modes of hair growth.

Lol yes, it seems we can never win. It was an interesting study, genistein showed up as an agent that can induce the second half of the required response for hair growth but not the initial step needed to spur the process.

I find it interesting that yohimbine is on both lists but the author doesn't elaborate at all on it. I wonder how a topical yohimbine would fair? The worst I could see happening is maybe high or low blood pressure and tremendous boners as a side effect.

FollicleGuardian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fluphenazine, the lost cure… ;)