Fltanman's Story

fltanman

Reaction score
It started one bright sunny morning in Brooklyn NY, 2 weeks before my 20th birthday. I went to take a shower after a late night. I did the normal things shaved, brushed my teeth, used the bathroom etc. I don't normally wash my hair 1st thing right as I get into the shower, it takes like 2-3min's before hand. Before I start to wash my hair, I look down at the drain. I notice there is an unusual amount of hair next to it. I don't think much of it and just wash my hair as normal.

A week passes by and there is still more hair then normal in my hands and in the drain as I wash my hair again. I thought wow I hope nothing is wrong with me and I thought ok I'll give it a few more days, it will probably stop. A week and 1/2 goes by and still hair is coming out on my pillows, shirts, sink, hands, couch etc. I start to freak out and think to myself OMFG am I loosing my hair. I calm myself down and try to just dismiss the situation entirely, hoping it will go away.

A week after my 20th birthday party we and a friend go to have an afternoon drink in Bryant park. We are talking and chatting away since we haven't seen each other for about a week. While we are talking she leans over and says "whats up with your hair" I say "what do you mean". She states again ya it's looking thinner at the top. Those words uttered out of her mouth and into my ears were like arsenic to a rat, deadly and chilling in every way imaginable.

After that lunch with my friend, I could no longer deny or even look the other way about me starting to loose my hair. I remember taking the subway home and playing the scene that had just happened over and over again in my head. I'll admit I had sunglasses on the entire subway ride home and I remember holding back the tears of sadness about to burst from my eyes.

I thought JESUS CHRIST this is not normal for a 20 year old to loose their hair and it coming out at such a rapid speed. Thats when the battle began a month after that fateful morning in Brooklyn. 1st it was the propecia which worked but had a bad side effect on my skin and made it turn a yellow color, while slowing my hair growth cycle down to a tiny bit that grew every few months. Then came the natural herbs "Saw palmetto, biotin and CoQ10" and then the laser hair treatments, all have worked some but my hair still falls out every other day.

I'm 24 years old now and still battle with what feels like the loose of a loved one or someone close to me. I know a little dramatic, but also it's because my hair started falling out before my 20th birthday. I felt like a freak who was being punished for something not in my control. I have learned to live with my hair loose but still wish for a miracle one day. I have also learned to take my hair loss in stride and be thankful its not something life threatening.
:bravo: :bravo:
I will also have a scar from this happening so early in my life, I have learned to love myself more. So the hair loss may be a blessing in disguise. I wish, hope and want a cure one day for our hair loss (male & female). I'll do everything in my power to keep the hair I still have and be thankful for it.

I would attach a picture sometime in the future but don't feel super comfortable doing just as yet.