fleming/mayer hair flap

hulltras

Reaction score
in this months edition on the UK's MENS HEALTH there was an intersting article on the dr. fleming and mayer hair flap (http://www.bevhills.com) which really grabbed my attention and made me want to get it done.

claiming to give good results and all the rest of it. i understand the bias the magazine would have had towrds the practice but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience with it??

it seems perhaps a little too easy and the results a little too good to be honest but would be nice to hear from anyone.

thanks.

jeffsss

Reaction score
wow. that seems too good to be true.

What would be the cost on one of those numberS?

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys are not seriously considering a flap procedure are you???

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw a plastic surgery show on TV a few weeks ago. They spent 20 minutes with Fleming/Mayer & showed the procedure & the results.
It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. The "Dr" (who wore a bad wig) just seemed to randomly hack chunks out of the patients head. The pain, time and money that the patient spent to have multiple sessions done was ridiculous. His results were the worst I've ever seen. The bits of hair that had been pulled over were growing in completely the wrong direction. The supposed hairline was a straight line of thinning hair that grew sideways. There was a huge scar right in front of the "hairline" where they had hacked away & stitched back up.
Remember, these were the results that the "Drs" wanted to use for TV - what the hell must the others be like.

DO NOT BELIEVE MAGAZINE STORIES OR PHOTOS PROVIDED BY THE VERY PEOPLE GAINING THE PUBLICITY.

I guarantee that this procedure would ruin your life. I'd much rather have 80's style plugs than a Fleming flap.

G

guys - this just goes to show how little we know here in the u.k!

Just take a look a donald trump guys! :shock:

Best Regards
spex

G

Read my post under the thread "How about hairline lowering".

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
No no no no! virtually everyone who has had the Mayer flap done regrets it, your hair ends up growing in odd directions not to mention the horrendous scarring, and generally poor results.

G

Good points Global and can you just imagine how the hairline would look :freaked2:

michael barry

Reaction score
Guys,
YOU WOULD NOT WANT A HAIRLINE AS DENSE AS A FLAP WOULD PRODUCE. Good docs who use follicular units fade them from one hairs to two hairs to three hair units because thats the way men bald. A good Doctor can make a man who is Norwood four appear to be Norwood two point five. The man would be well advised to take propecia for the rest of his life, however.

A flap will get you an unnatrually thick hairline but you very well might bald behind it. When your sides receed,.......it will really look ridiculous. I seen a man being interviewed who had a flap and I couldnt take my eyes off his hair. The flap was set high and it was superthick (like an Arabs hair) while his sides were receeded to his ears. He looked utterly horrible even though he wasnt pluggy-----he was the damned opposite. I imagine his back was hopelessly thin and proboably grown long to conceal the fact that the lower back portion of his head had been surgically extracted and contained no hair bearing scalp. Just a mess. A flap is the worst mistake a guy could make. Go to a good FUE Doctor if you want hair that bad with a good reputaion. NHI is a good outfit in New York.

G

I echo Michael Barry's comments on this and my premonition is that person regrets having it done.

Michael, is it Dr. Bob Bernstein who was formerly with NHI in NYC? If I'm not mistaken, he went on his own earlier this year.

crackityjones

Reaction score
in this months edition on the UK's MENS HEALTH there was an intersting article on the dr. fleming and mayer hair flap (http://www.bevhills.com) which really grabbed my attention and made me want to get it done.

claiming to give good results and all the rest of it. i understand the bias the magazine would have had towrds the practice but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience with it??

it seems perhaps a little too easy and the results a little too good to be honest but would be nice to hear from anyone.

thanks.

I've been researching the fleming Mayer Flap for about 10 years, during this time I had 3 "less risky", "more natural", hair transplant procedures by one of the top surgeons in the country. I am still unhappy with my results and have strip scars, etc. I notice anytime you mention Hair flaps in any of these forums they will jump all over you and use terms like, "barbaric", "Butchers", "Frankenstein", "massive scarring", "unnatural", "wrong" hair direction. Instead of listening to some of these self appointed experts on here that seem to be experts on the flap, and claim they personally know people that have had bad results from Dr. Fleming/Mayer, why not actually take it upon yourself to get information from them, go for a consultation and decide for yourself if it's worth having done. I will tell you some of what I've learned about it(Fleming/Mayer flap).
1. They will not operate on you if you are too young and/or have not established a long term balding pattern to avoid the long term unnatural results that the some of these forum users say that you will probably have. They are carefull to make sure that they take the flap from a "safe" area that will be reluctant to bald later in life.
2. They have refined the procedure in recent years so that the hair grows THROUGH AND IN FRONT OF THE SCAR. So these people that claim there is this big ugly scar "in front of" the flap haven't researched it very well.
3. "Tissue Expansion" This is a procedure that they use to increase the size of the hair bearing flap before they rotate it , which is a HUGE advance over older flap procedures. This gives better coverage and makes long term issues a lot less risky. It also keeps the scars from stretching like the strip scars from transplantation may do.
4. From what I've seen and learned, the best results along front hairline seems to be people that brush their hair straight back and/or have course, wavy or curly hair. In my opinion those people just seem to have the best looking results. I happen to have those characteristics.
5. They admittedly tell you that you will probaly want to get some grafts spread across the front hairline to soften the abrupt thickness of the flap although some people are happy without doing this. Take a look at the side of your head,, is it unnaturally thick compared to the top. Probably not, and that will be how thick your hair will be at the hairline, NOT UNNATURALLY THICK, just unnaturally thick compared to the unusually thin hair transplants that I wish I had never got.
Also, as far as the directional issues of the flap hairline, it is a fact that hair can be trained to style in any manner you choose, within reason I guess.
Go to their website and send them an email and they will send you a DVD or Video and a book giving all the details including answering a lot of the concerns that people on these forums throw at you. http://www.bevhills.com

As for myself, I am at least going to have a consultation with them before I spend another dollar on transplants. The biggest issue for me is the tissue expansion which takes 10-12 weeks with the side of your scalp becoming increasingly distorted in size the last couple of weeks. They tell you to grow your hair out 3 inches on the sides and back so it won't be weird looking, but in my profession it would not look to good for me to grow my hair out that long, so I am waiting for when I could afford to go spend a few weeks out there while having it done. I get the impression from them that the tissue expansion is what makes the flap procedure "light years" ahead of where it was just a few years ago. I believe a lot of the criticisms on the net are based on obsolete data.

I will say this, if you have a virgin scalp, you are lucky and you could opt for the FUE and not have to worry about strip scars or flap scars,etc. But even still, you may never be happy with the density or the lack of uniformity of the density compared to your remaining hair or you may end up having the look of a guy that "has had a great transplant" instead of a guy that people can't tell you've had anything done.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
The best transplant is from within. In my experience of 18 months experimentation, minaturised hair can remain viable for many years.
After a transplant of any kind, you still need to deal with vascular regeneration/degeneration. Before paying thousands to move hairs around like musical chairs, realise that even invisible vellus = potential new life, and most of you still have vellus. My advice is, don't get yourself cut up and stitched up, it interrupts the blood supply. Poor circulation = inevitable death. Wake up your vellus!!!
Boru

G

crackityjones,

It's very interesting that you suddenly join this forum and do "one" lengthy post promoting the Fleming/Mayer flap procedure. You stated that you "at least" are going to have a consultation and in the next sentence you state you are going to have this done. So you have already made your decision without even having the consultation yet or seeing any patients in person? And this is something you are so sold on having done "sight unseen" after being unhappy with your prior hair transplants? That only does not make any sense but "anyone" I have ever dealt with that is/was unhappy with their prior hair transplants, would never make those types of decisions because they are EXTREMELY WARY and suspect of these things and understandably so. Anyone would be. The only exception that would make any sense would be someone with a tangible financial interest in defending or promoting this type of procedure which in my opinion "current day" is still EXTREMELY RISKY. Whiskey also pointed this out in his recent viewing of the flap procedure. If I'm wrong about my premonition regarding your obvious agenda, I'll be the first to apologize to you. Some of us have been around in the hairloss community for a long, long time including the forums and IMO your sole post is very suspect. :roll:

The obvious risk of a scar showing on anyone's forehead or area of HIGH visual impact should be avoided at all times. Trust me, I've seen enough examples of it and have never seen even ONE case that I would consider as natural appearing. Hairlines do not have the same characteristics in density as the sides and back. Oh sure, just put some grafts under and above the forehead scar and no one will ever know the difference? DON'T BELIEVE THAT FOR ONE MINUTE. :freaked2: All you have to do is physically examine the hairline and scar on a flap patient to one that had precise angulated and appropriate size grafts implanted into ultra-refined microscopic lateral slit incisions that heal with absolutely no visible scarring for most patients. IMO THERE'S NO COMPARISON AND IS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY in aesthectic appeal (naturalness). And how many guys would look natural as they get above 40, 50 years old with that level of flap density on their forehead? :freaked: Not many if any. I have never physically seen a flap patient that IMO had a natural appearing hairline. In fact in most cases I could tell they had it done without them first telling me. I have seen patients who had flap procedures done in Asia, moreso in Japan as well. Flaps are not new hair transplant methods by any means. Guess what an extremely high percent of those flap patients were seeking? A hair transplant surgeon who could make their hairlines appear natural again! And then tell me what happens if a flap patient loses the frontal zone hair due to some other disease or ailment in the future. Even if it thins out a little bit, the risk of the scar showing on one's forehead is something I do not think ANYONE would want. Lastly don't forget the differences in how patients heal. Not that anyone would want a scar anywhere, but "if" the scar did not heal well including lingering redness, etc I for one would certainly not want it located on my forehead. :freaked:

IMO, there are far more arguments to be made against the flap procedure especially when one can attain much better results in the hands of a reputable ethical hair transplant surgeon, ones who do natural aesthetically pleasing work. :)

G

Vellus hair is fine colorless short hair covering most of the body surface. Vellus hair replaces lanugo shortly after birth and may be transformed into terminal hair under the influence of androgens.

However, in patients with androgenetic alopecia (genetic hairloss, male pattern baldness) "vellus hair replaces terminal hair". Ultimately, vellus hairs lack a central medulla which accounts for their fine and colorless appearance. Medulla is the innermost layer of hair that reflects light giving hair the various color tones it has. Obviously then vellus hair is not going to provide any visual coverage of the scalp.

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
In other words crackityjones.......you're talking nonsense and hair flaps are sh*t. It's just that Gill has a nicer way with words.

I repeat, I saw the procedure AND the results on TV. They were the results that the "Drs" wanted us to see. The procedure was horrific and the results were f*cking disgusting. Multiple painful procedures and thousands and thousands of $ to look like a freak. Nice.

crackityjones

Reaction score
Flap

Gillenator, I stumbled on this forum by googling fleming/mayer flap, I was trying to find any info I could or find people on forums talking about it. There are several different hairloss forums on the net, I usually go to hairsite.com. I have posted hairsite a few times on a few topics but am not one the daily regulars, I just like to keep up with the latest on surgery, Hair Multiplication, treatments. It has given me a good idea of who I might use if I have any further Transplantation. As for the flap, I am at a point where I'm not in a hurry to get anything done, I'm on avodarte, minoxidil, and 2% nizoral and just have to spend some time styling my hair to cover my hairline due to the past grafts. I will probably make a trip to Beverly Hills and tell them to make sure that I will be able to see some patients with same hair color, characteristics as mine that have had it done. I'm guessing that once I see it in person, I will think it looks unacceptable and blow it off. It's just weird that there are a lot of people who will go on the forums and talk about the results they got from transplants, good and bad, but there doesn't seem to be people that have been to fleming/mayer and had it done themselves, that are on the forums talking about their results, good or bad. Anyway, I had some minigrafts done in early-mid 90's, I think some of them have up to 8 hairs in them, these are sticking out bad now. I had 1200 grafts, strip/follicular units done in 2000 that I thought would soften and fill in around the larger ones, but did not do the job. What pisses me off about the Transplant doctors websites, is that they ALL purposely show patient results under very poor lighting conditions. There is rarely any kind of direct lighting on the tops of the heads and frontal zones, You all know what I mean. The reality of everyday life is lots of bright lighting, Sunshine, Flourescent lights, recessed floods, etc. I think all doctors should show the patients in good lighting environments.
I did not come in here to defend the flap procedure, just to get some discussion going for more info on personal experiences, etc. I had received their video and book a few weeks ago so happened to know about the process. If anything else, I don't think I could handle the Tissue expansion phase, it seems like it would be extremely difficult to conceal it without looking really stupid.

G

crackity,

Thanks for your response and clarifications. The reason you do not see more patients on the hairloss forums talking about flap surgery is because IMO anyone can clearly see it's not something any one would really want to do. :freaked2: My guess is the more you research it, the more flaws and disadvantages you will realize it has. And think about it for a minute. If they STREEETCHHHH the scalp, you lose density because the FU's are pulled further away from each other. :shock:

Sorry to hear of your displeasure with the micro-grafts. One effective method to resolve your situation is to have the 8 hair grafts thinned out with FUE extractions. They can place the extracted hair between the other micro-grafts and even extract additional grafts from your donor zone to add a little more density to that surface area. My guess is that you have darker hair color on a lighter complexion? If so, you will undoubtedly need more grafts placed in that surface area to blend it all togethor. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions about this.

Otherwise I hope you continue to participate here as we all are learning new concepts and methods of treating our own hairloss. Take care! :wink: