Flax lignans

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's been discussion of flax lignans before, but who cares.

Do flax lignans reduce hair loss from male pattern baldness?

According to an unpublished study, 9 out of 10 men suffering from hair loss saw an improvement in their condition after taking a flax lignan supplement with 50 mg of lignans. Another study reported improvements in BPH symptoms from consuming 300-600 mg of SDG, the main flax lignan.

The mechanism through which flax lignans might work is not known, but a possible explanation is that SDG (a phytoestrogen) inhibits 5-alpha-reductase or androgen receptor binding.

The bioavailability of flax lignans from flax seeds and supplements

Consuming 40-610 mg of SDG, the main flax lignan, raises serum enterolactone and enterodiol levels significantly, which indicates that flax lignans are absorbed by the human body. Lignans are bioavailable both in supplement and natural form.

While the taste of flax seeds may be unpleasant to some people, a tablespoon of flax meal (ground flax seeds) actually contains more SDG than most supplements. The lignans in crushed and whole flax seeds are absorbed less effectively, however.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
I am taking the 40 mg Enterolactone enhancer 7-HMRlignans from Norwegian spruce tree from Swanson vitamins. Yes I think I'm turning Norwegian, turning Norwegian yes I think so... :woot:

guybrush

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I read somewhere that in a recent study phytoestrogens were found to increase the risk of breast cancer.

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
I like flax. For a while Ive been consuming a few spoons of ground flax seeds per day on smoothies and such. I notice its positive effects on my skin/inflamation.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I know two twin brothers, about 50 years of age, both lived together and ate the same food and pretty much had the same lifestyle. One had arthritis and back promblems the other didn't. The one without arthritis and back problems also had a full head of hair, while the other didn't; completey bald except for the typical "horse-shoe". The only thing differnt in their lifestyles was that one ate flax seeds, the other didn't. The brother with the full head of hair was the one that ate flax seeds.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
I know two twin brothers, about 50 years of age, both lived together and ate the same food and pretty much had the same lifestyle. One had arthritis and back promblems the other didn't. The one without arthritis and back problems also had a full head of hair, while the other didn't; completey bald except for the typical "horse-shoe". The only thing differnt in their lifestyles was that one ate flax seeds, the other didn't. The brother with the full head of hair was the one that ate flax seeds.

My maternal grandfather ate flaxseed for 40 years almost every day, and the only thing he has is the front line with symmetry (Not male pattern baldness), funny is that my maternal uncles are all NW5 / NW6 :hump:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Alpha-linolenic acid & PROSTAGLANDIN probably has to do something with the flax for Hairloss.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
A bit off-topic but speaking of prostaglandins...We all know that dietary fat leads to the formation of prostaglandins. One of my good friends, has one of the best heads of hair I've ever seen, better than a Norwood 1! He told me that his mother always ate a low fat diet throuout her whole life, and that he grew up eating a low fat diet as well. But he then said his father ate very unhealthy: fried food, soda pop, and high fat foods all his life. I saw a picture of his father and his father was bald. So maybe there is a relationship between dietary fat intake and M.P.B. I know from personal experience that chronic consumption of fried foods leads to M.P.B. because that is what happened to me. That is what really "jump-started" it for me. I believe that fried foods cause a hormonal change for the worse; also it increases inflammation and can contribute to Atherosclerosis, a huge factor in inflammation and hair loss. Also that reminds me. I saw a documentary about Phil Collins the other day and it showed a picture of his older brother. Full head of hair the lad had, his brother said he was a cartoonist. Sooner after, it showed a band member frying up a panful of greasy sausage, and claiming that Phil ate the sausage every morning for breakfast. Maybe that had something to do with his hair loss. I think the video is called: This Is Your Life: Phil Collins; it was a television show from the late 1980's. I guess what I'm trying to say is; maybe a low-fat diet would help slow M.P.B. in men predisposed.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I think it doesn't have to do with the intake of fat..but the way your body deal with it! Know so many friends that eat sh*t everyday and have heads full of hair....

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
A bit off-topic but speaking of prostaglandins...We all know that dietary fat leads to the formation of prostaglandins.

Does it? I haven't investigated this matter, but the first study I could find says

The direct and indirect evidence that the fatty acid composition of dietary fat is involved in the regulation of prostaglandin biosynthesis was reviewed. Direct evidence included effects of essential fatty acid deficiencies and excesses on endogenous tissue levels and production rates of prostaglandins by several tissues. Indirect evidence included lipolytic, platelet aggregatory, hypertensive, inflammatory and immune responses. In general, composition of dietary fat did not affect prostaglandin biosynthesis unless a biochemical essential fatty acid deficiency was induced or the linoleate to saturated fatty acids ratio of the dietary fat was greater than 5. Most results were interpreted in light of changing fatty acid composition; however, very few direct measurements have been made.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/751l52163131v553/

misterE said:
One of my good friends, has one of the best heads of hair I've ever seen, better than a Norwood 1! He told me that his mother always ate a low fat diet throuout her whole life, and that he grew up eating a low fat diet as well. But he then said his father ate very unhealthy: fried food, soda pop, and high fat foods all his life. I saw a picture of his father and his father was bald.

A low-fat diet causes all kinds of health problems. Even the mainstream is beginning to pick up on that.

A High-Protein Diet Is Better than a High-Carbohydrate Diet for Weight Loss
Low-Carb vs. Low-Fat: Effects on Weight Loss and Cholesterol in Overweight Men

Besides, you're comparing a low-fat diet with an unhealthy diet, which is high in refined carbohydrates and fat. That's not the same thing as comparing a low-fat diet with a high-fat diet. When you do compare the two, a high-fat diet always wins. Put another way, the problem with your friend's father is not the tub of lard but the fact that he dips french fries into it.

misterE said:
So maybe there is a relationship between dietary fat intake and M.P.B.

Maybe, but where is the evidence? Note that a positive correlation between dietary fat and baldness would mean that our paleolithic ancestors went bald very quickly; yet the common argument seems to be that we somehow only lost our hair when we first descended from trees and began our evil and unnatural ways.

misterE said:
I know from personal experience that chronic consumption of fried foods leads to M.P.B. because that is what happened to me. That is what really "jump-started" it for me.

Maybe, but you really can't be sure, because there's no control group. There's only one of you. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if an unhealthy diet did jump-start the process in those who are genetically disposed. But again, I argue that the problem is not fat itself - rather, it's what is being fried.

misterE said:
I believe that fried foods cause a hormonal change for the worse; also it increases inflammation and can contribute to Atherosclerosis, a huge factor in inflammation and hair loss.

Maybe, but where is the evidence?

misterE said:
Also that reminds me. I saw a documentary about Phil Collins the other day and it showed a picture of his older brother. Full head of hair the lad had, his brother said he was a cartoonist. Sooner after, it showed a band member frying up a panful of greasy sausage, and claiming that Phil ate the sausage every morning for breakfast. Maybe that had something to do with his hair loss. I think the video is called: This Is Your Life: Phil Collins; it was a television show from the late 1980's.

You don't think this is a bit of a stretch?

misterE said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is; maybe a low-fat diet would help slow M.P.B. in men predisposed.

I seriously doubt it. Would be an interesting experiment, for sure.

I might tend to agree with a theory of a healthy diet slowing down male pattern baldness, but I don't think there are studies showing directly that this is the case. Most importantly, I disagree with the idea that a low-fat diet is a healthy diet. Eating at Burger King every day is unhealthy, yes, but in my opinion it's the carbs, not the fat that is the culprit (although, the combination of fat and carbs is in some cases worse than carbs alone).

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
JLL said:
misterE said:
A bit off-topic but speaking of prostaglandins...We all know that dietary fat leads to the formation of prostaglandins.

Does it? I haven't investigated this matter, but the first study I could find says

The direct and indirect evidence that the fatty acid composition of dietary fat is involved in the regulation of prostaglandin biosynthesis was reviewed. Direct evidence included effects of essential fatty acid deficiencies and excesses on endogenous tissue levels and production rates of prostaglandins by several tissues. Indirect evidence included lipolytic, platelet aggregatory, hypertensive, inflammatory and immune responses. In general, composition of dietary fat did not affect prostaglandin biosynthesis unless a biochemical essential fatty acid deficiency was induced or the linoleate to saturated fatty acids ratio of the dietary fat was greater than 5. Most results were interpreted in light of changing fatty acid composition; however, very few direct measurements have been made.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/751l52163131v553/

misterE said:
One of my good friends, has one of the best heads of hair I've ever seen, better than a Norwood 1! He told me that his mother always ate a low fat diet throuout her whole life, and that he grew up eating a low fat diet as well. But he then said his father ate very unhealthy: fried food, soda pop, and high fat foods all his life. I saw a picture of his father and his father was bald.

A low-fat diet causes all kinds of health problems. Even the mainstream is beginning to pick up on that.

A High-Protein Diet Is Better than a High-Carbohydrate Diet for Weight Loss
Low-Carb vs. Low-Fat: Effects on Weight Loss and Cholesterol in Overweight Men

Besides, you're comparing a low-fat diet with an unhealthy diet, which is high in refined carbohydrates and fat. That's not the same thing as comparing a low-fat diet with a high-fat diet. When you do compare the two, a high-fat diet always wins. Put another way, the problem with your friend's father is not the tub of lard but the fact that he dips french fries into it.

misterE said:
So maybe there is a relationship between dietary fat intake and M.P.B.

Maybe, but where is the evidence? Note that a positive correlation between dietary fat and baldness would mean that our paleolithic ancestors went bald very quickly; yet the common argument seems to be that we somehow only lost our hair when we first descended from trees and began our evil and unnatural ways.

misterE said:
I know from personal experience that chronic consumption of fried foods leads to M.P.B. because that is what happened to me. That is what really "jump-started" it for me.

Maybe, but you really can't be sure, because there's no control group. There's only one of you. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if an unhealthy diet did jump-start the process in those who are genetically disposed. But again, I argue that the problem is not fat itself - rather, it's what is being fried.

misterE said:
I believe that fried foods cause a hormonal change for the worse; also it increases inflammation and can contribute to Atherosclerosis, a huge factor in inflammation and hair loss.

Maybe, but where is the evidence?

misterE said:
Also that reminds me. I saw a documentary about Phil Collins the other day and it showed a picture of his older brother. Full head of hair the lad had, his brother said he was a cartoonist. Sooner after, it showed a band member frying up a panful of greasy sausage, and claiming that Phil ate the sausage every morning for breakfast. Maybe that had something to do with his hair loss. I think the video is called: This Is Your Life: Phil Collins; it was a television show from the late 1980's.

You don't think this is a bit of a stretch?

misterE said:
I guess what I'm trying to say is; maybe a low-fat diet would help slow M.P.B. in men predisposed.

I seriously doubt it. Would be an interesting experiment, for sure.

I might tend to agree with a theory of a healthy diet slowing down male pattern baldness, but I don't think there are studies showing directly that this is the case. Most importantly, I disagree with the idea that a low-fat diet is a healthy diet. Eating at Burger King every day is unhealthy, yes, but in my opinion it's the carbs, not the fat that is the culprit (although, the combination of fat and carbs is in some cases worse than carbs alone).

My post was nothing but personal observations, nothing more. No painsteaking research on this post, just personal observtions. I think the perfect diet is whole grains/leguems, fruit/vegtables, nuts/seeds, and organic eggs and poultry.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
G

The best flax seeds to take in terms of lignans is ground flax seeds?

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
for those that are grinding their flax seeds, does freshly ground flax have any sort of odour?

the flax seeds i grind have a weird odour to them, wondering if this is normal?