First timer on Roagine (foam) quick question

joshbell

Reaction score
Hi all
This is the first time Ill be going on rogaine of any type but Ill start with the foam. Should I use the 2 or 5% at the beginning?
Should I ease into things with 2% then step up to 5%?
Thanks

Hairgoro

Reaction score
Dont use it it can make your face older like it will add 20 years to your face after 2 months of use research on google..collagen and minoxidil and see how peoples life were ruined

beaner

Reaction score
Hi all
This is the first time Ill be going on rogaine of any type but Ill start with the foam. Should I use the 2 or 5% at the beginning?
Should I ease into things with 2% then step up to 5%?
Thanks

I don't believe they make a 2% foam. Just use 5% and don't listen to horror stories by people with 2 posts. Millions of men use minoxidil without issue and those that complain that minoxidil ruined their face never seem to be able to post any proof of this. I'm not saying it can't happen, just be wary of stories you hear online. Most of them are blown out of proportion as most things are on the internet.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
Foam version is nothing but a marketing hype, as they needed to sell something new so people could buy it. Rogaine Foam is simply a hair styling foam rather. You would be better off using some hair styling gel etc. to manage your hair. The true purpose of minoxidil. is for it to reach the roots, not the body of hair. It is the root that needs to be noursihed, like you water the tree roots, not the trunk. So, start with 5% liquid, and use half the dose. You would be surprised that it would still work fairly, but with minimum to no side effects. If you are starting for the very first time, then I would recommend start slow. Full dose will probably give you side effects and possibly water retention in under your facial skin making it "blotted." In any case, for almost all, that facial side effect should go away: do not underestimate your body-it adjusts itself effciently to changing tides.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Foam version is nothing but a marketing hype, as they needed to sell something new so people could buy it. Rogaine Foam is simply a hair styling foam rather. You would be better off using some hair styling gel etc. to manage your hair. The true purpose of minoxidil. is for it to reach the roots, not the body of hair. It is the root that needs to be noursihed, like you water the tree, not the trunk. So, start with 5% liquid, and use half the dose. You would be surprised that it would still work fairly, but with minimum to no side effects. If you are starting for the very first time, then I would recommend start slow. Full dose will probably give you side effects and possibly water retention in under your facial skin making it "blotted." In any case, for almost all, that facial side effect should go away: do not underestimate your body-it adjusts itself effciently to changing tides.

hi! out of curiosity, why is that foam version is not as effective as liquid one? I have been using foam as it is less irritating!! thanks

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Rogaine claim the results with foam are better than with the liquid version. But I'm with mentalist, I found the foam very difficult to apply in the same areas I do with liquid. It ends up getting absorbed in the hair and not the scalp. The smell of the foam is also a bit horrid.
In any case, I would just pick the one you prefer and stick with that one permanently.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rogaine claim the results with foam are better than with the liquid version. But I'm with mentalist, I found the foam very difficult to apply in the same areas I do with liquid. It ends up getting absorbed in the hair and not the scalp. The smell of the foam is also a bit horrid.
In any case, I would just pick the one you prefer and stick with that one permanently.

Good to know! thanks!

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
To guess on your irritating the scalp; I think it is due to formula that different brands use. Inactive ingredients in all minoxidil. solutions are Alcohol, Propylene Glycol (and water). What percent Alcohol (eg. 30% or 50% in water), or what percent PG, and to what ratio Alcohol:pG are used, varies by each brand. Thus, some brands are tauted on these boards as better than others. It is probably the ratio of alcohol, glycol, whatever ratio they use in a certain brand causes irritation or not cause irritation. That is why, you may wanna change brand to see if a different formula would work better for your scalp.

For example, CVS brand minoxidil. may give irritation on skin and a lot of white flakes, but Kirkland brand, the older version, was neither irritating nor produced white dry flakes. So, it was due to different ratio/conc. used for inactive ingredients.

If you already have the solution bought or need to stick to least expensive brand that is giving you irritation, I would suggest you do experiment by adding extra alcohol, or PG or even glycerin (all bought separately and are dirt inexpensive) to the solution little by little to see what might work better for your irritation problem.