First Timer From Long Island, Ny Looking For Advice

MikeNYC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve been reading these forums for a few days now and I’m ready to jump in. I’m a bit overwhelmed by all of the info and was looking for some advice to get me started, any help you can give would be awesome. I had SMP done 2 years ago and while it came out great I’m sick of the shaved head look and currently job searching, in my industry I feel that a full head of hair would be beneficial. I have plenty of hair on the sides and back but the top of my head is very thin. For this reason I’m looking for a system that covers the top, not a full piece. Where I’m getting hung up is the following:

I think I’d like to go the online order route but have someone attach it the first time, cut it in, etc.

Where are the best online systems available?
I liked the Curtis videos but are his systems any good?
Should I go custom or stock for the first time?
Does anyone know a good stylist that can attach and cut it in for me in the Long Island area? I’d like to eventually DIY for the attachment but would love to have it shown to me how to do it right.
How long should I grow out before attaching? I’m going to look dumb for a while with growth on the sides and SMP on the top so I’d like to minimize this if possible.

I’m looking to get started as soon as I can and looking forward to my new look! Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give.

Mike

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Mike

The only real advantage of stock is speed. If you can wait the 2 months it takes to make a custom unit, I think that is always going to be better. It is made to your exact contour and with your exact colour match, and there are various other possibilities for customising it to your personal requirements.

If you are OK with an undercut style, you don't need that much on your sides to make it look decent - maybe 2 or 3 weeks' worth. If you want a more traditional blended style, then you probably need 6 - 8 weeks' worth.

I have PMed you some idea on suppliers and cut-ins.

Noah

MikeNYC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Mike

The only real advantage of stock is speed. If you can wait the 2 months it takes to make a custom unit, I think that is always going to be better. It is made to your exact contour and with your exact colour match, and there are various other possibilities for customising it to your personal requirements.

If you are OK with an undercut style, you don't need that much on your sides to make it look decent - maybe 2 or 3 weeks' worth. If you want a more traditional blended style, then you probably need 6 - 8 weeks' worth.

I have PMed you some idea on suppliers and cut-ins.

Noah

Noah,

Thank you very much for your PM! This is extremely helpful. I'm wondering if some people go the stock route first then order a custom unit once they see the potential?

Mike

Noah

Reaction score
Yes definitely, if they are anxious to get on with the process. If you have a hair colour in the standard range you can get a stock piece within a few days. Some guys never use anything else but stock units.