First Time User - Propecia Adjustment Period?

Craige28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Apologies if I'm breaking any etiquette rules as I've registered purely for a bit of advice and guidance from those who have better understanding/experience.

I'm 28 years old and have been gradually receding at the hairline for the last 3 years. It's knocked my confidence for six, and I've become obsessed with it.

About a year ago I began using regaine, and although it has given me a peach like fuzz the miniturisation is still apparent and making its way to my frontal scalp.

A few months ago I decided to try Propecia. I have a friend who has been using 2 years with zero side effects. I've read all of the horror stories online so was somewhat skeptical but hoping for the best. Withing 4 days of using 1mg a day, I noticed that I was struggling to get an erection, my orgasms had dulled, and my penis at a flaccid state was seriously retracted, the kind of retraction you get from being in a cold sea, or Phys dick (after heavy exercise)

I then researched more and read all the horror stories and decided to come off.

Over the last couple of months I've decided my anxiety over thinning has become an everyday chore, so I decided to try Propecia again at a lower dose. I've started with .25mg EOD to test the waters. I'm 1.5 weeks in and I'm having exactly the same symptoms as before.

I'm able to stay erect with my girlfriend and no issues in that department at all. Orgasms are slightly dull but no issues with erections. I struggle to get an erection during masturbation however. Takes alot longer than usual.

My penis at a flaccid state has retracted just like before. It's unnerving when I whip it out to urinate and it's as though I've just come out of a freezing cold sea. It doesn't really change back to my original flaccid size unless I've had a hot shower.

I know alot of people flat out refuse to believe the penis shrinks, but I know my body well and I am 100% aware of this change.

Just a heads up really, has anyone else experienced something similar with the penis retraction/shrinking? Is it something that passes as my body gets used to Propecia, or is it something I should see as a sign my body doesn't agree with and come off ASAP? I really want to give it a good go and have heard I should try a month minimum.

Cheers guys.

Craig

**EDIT** IVE REALISED IVE POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG THREAD. WILL POST IN RELEVANT THREAD.

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is only gonna get worse. At first, it will be harder to get erect while masturbating but no issues with a woman. As your time on finasteride increases, you will find yourself having trouble in bed with a woman. You will realize erections don't last as long as before and it is harder to get it up. Finasteride is a miraculous drug hairwise but side effects are real.

g.i joey

Reaction score
It is only gonna get worse. At first, it will be harder to get erect while masturbating but no issues with a woman. As your time on finasteride increases, you will find yourself having trouble in bed with a woman. You will realize erections don't last as long as before and it is harder to get it up. Finasteride is a miraculous drug hairwise but side effects are real.

To an extent, I've had hiccups in the starting phase of my finasteride regimen but I'm now 13 months in and my libido and erections are normal. What I can say is my refractory period has gone up before I can go round 2ni need at least 15-30 min, but aside from that sometimes your body does have to go through some sort of adjustment phase to get it right.

ofcourse this is only my case and everyone's does differ; but it's not fair to say side effects WILL get worse especially considering the studies concluded that for some side effects do dissipate as treatment goes on

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To an extent, I've had hiccups in the starting phase of my finasteride regimen but I'm now 13 months in and my libido and erections are normal. What I can say is my refractory period has gone up before I can go round 2ni need at least 15-30 min, but aside from that sometimes your body does have to go through some sort of adjustment phase to get it right.

ofcourse this is only my case and everyone's does differ; but it's not fair to say side effects WILL get worse especially considering the studies concluded that for some side effects do dissipate as treatment goes on
One year is not really a long term though. A lot of sufferer would tell you they were perfect sex wise at one year point (me included)

Craige28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Cheers fellas.

Appreciate the response. It's clear that finasteride isn't something to be taken lightly, but appears some people are unaffected and others are.

For those who have been affected with sides, are you still suffering now or back to normal? (If not normal, at a functional level?)

g.i joey

Reaction score
One year is not really a long term though. A lot of sufferer would tell you they were perfect sex wise at one year point (me included)

You're probably right, I was arguing more against the fact that the user before me said "it's only gonna get worse" which isn't completely true.

Reactions: WMQ

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
For those who have been affected with sides, are you still suffering now or back to normal? (If not normal, at a functional level?)

It's been quite a while now since I came off Propecia. About half a year ago I still wasn't back to normal but I may have been on my way there. Functional I'd say, yeah.
I've recently experimented with CB so it's hard to say whether I'm now recovering from Propecia or CB. The situation certainly worsened while I was on the latter.

Last edited:

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're right that finasteride isn't something to be taken lightly but it is also the best treatment available at the moment. If you are having sides speak to a good trichologist or a dermatologist and read up on persistent side effects with finasteride and their likelihood. For those that are able to adjust to the drug then it's an absolute miracle.

pollutionbrain

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sides are real and can even be persistent after quitting. I quit a month ago and I still feel like sh*t.

Longway886

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Exactly same as you

Started finastride about 3 months ago at 1/4 of 1mg a day .. struggle getting an erection and dull orgasm.. and Im sure I've started to grow boobs..