First Time Posting: Maturation Or Hair Loss?

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi!

First time posting. I am 28, and for that past year I've been increasingly worried about losing my hair. When I turned 27 I started to get really paranoid about seeing receding around my temples (not sure if I actually was, or if I was just paranoid.) I gave it about a year without seeing a dermatologist or starting any medication. As far as shedding goes, I see about 1-4 hairs on my hands or in the sink after I wet my hair in the morning. Also, when I shower I see 1-5 when I wash my hair (closer to 7-10 when I haven't shampooed my hair in 2 or 3 days).

Growing up I've always had a pronounced widows peak i.e. a point in the middle of my hairline. But over the past year I've been obsessing over it. My grandfather on my moms side was bald and my dad was pretty bald (both about a Norwood V or VI). BUT, they all started balding in their early 20's.

I finally made an appointment to see a dermatologist, but I was only seen by a N.P. At best, it was a quick glance.

She said i was showing signs of male pattern baldness around my temples and and minor thinning on the vertex, and that I should go on minoxidil or finasteride. Having scared the life out of me I immediately bought a 3 month supply on Rogaine. I've been on it for a bout 3 months and have noticed that it seems as though the only thing it has done is grow small miniaturized hairs around my hairline, which to me just looks makes it look more like signs of male pattern baldness.

I was wondering if you guys could take a look at these photos and give me a sense of where I stand on the Norwood scale, as well as whether you think my hairline and vertex are thinning. Does it look like I should continue with Rogaine and/or finasteride? Should I even be thinking about medication yet?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3957.JPG
    IMG_3957.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_3956.JPG
    IMG_3956.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 856
  • IMG_3955.jpg
    IMG_3955.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_3954.jpg
    IMG_3954.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_3953.jpg
    IMG_3953.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_3952.jpg
    IMG_3952.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_3951.jpg
    IMG_3951.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairline is still really good, very early stages. In regards to the crown we will need some pics with better lighting, also some pics of the crown with wet hair should be very revealing as hairloss is usually more obvious when wet.

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
hairline is still really good, very early stages. In regards to the crown we will need some pics with better lighting, also some pics of the crown with wet hair should be very revealing as hairloss is usually more obvious when wet.

Appreciate it. Here are some with better lighting, where hair is fairly wet.

Attachments

• IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_3960.JPG
    IMG_3960.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_3966.JPG
    IMG_3966.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 532

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah crown seems to be thinning a bit, treatment is perhaps good. That being said, hairline looks legit boyo.

inb4 but you're jeric

Thanks for the response! Yeah it does look to be thinning a bit. I'm curious, does any of the apparent thinning have anything to do with the pronounced spiral pattern of my crown in that it just "appears" to be thinning? Also, if there is in fact minor thinning, is it a sign that it will be completely bald at some point, i.e. is it possible that it might just stay as it is now? Or am I 'doomed'?

Last edited:

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
does seem to be thinning somewhat. I don't think it is the pattern of your crown because it looks very typical of many early balders. In regards to your other question, given you are 28 and this is a pretty recent occurrence I doubt you will be stark bald on there for a very long time with or without treatments, but the fact is you have lost 50% of your hair there because that is generally how much hair needs to be lost for any visible reduction in density. If you have lost that much, you won't suddenly stop losing anymore.

The good thing is you can get on finasteride and I am 99% sure it will entirely grow back any lost hair on your crown. Given you have a very solid hairline it is well within your reach to have perfect hair again. Don't get me wrong though, noone would ever think for a minute you are balding, even in those wet hair pics most people wouldn't think anything of it.

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
does seem to be thinning somewhat. I don't think it is the pattern of your crown because it looks very typical of many early balders. In regards to your other question, given you are 28 and this is a pretty recent occurrence I doubt you will be stark bald on there for a very long time with or without treatments, but the fact is you have lost 50% of your hair there because that is generally how much hair needs to be lost for any visible reduction in density. If you have lost that much, you won't suddenly stop losing anymore.

The good thing is you can get on finasteride and I am 99% sure it will entirely grow back any lost hair on your crown. Given you have a very solid hairline it is well within your reach to have perfect hair again. Don't get me wrong though, noone would ever think for a minute you are balding, even in those wet hair pics most people wouldn't think anything of it.

Thanks for your response! Makes sense. The interesting thing about the crown thinning is that I don't seem to be shedding from that area. When I run a comb through my hair it seems to only come from the frontal regions.

I've been thinking about going on finasteride for a couple months now, but there's one major factor that keeps deterring me from it: the "bedroom" side effects. Are they really that noticeable? Have you, or anyone, experienced these side affects to a certain extent?

To sacrifice sexual prowess, or let nature run its course on my scalp....It's quite the predicament in my opinion.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
0,5mg of finasteride and you're in home buddy!

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
hairloss, its so obvious why do you have a hard time telling?

Lol. Thanks for the honesty. Part of me always knew that. I guess what I'm asking is: How severe, and in terms of a timeline, how advanced are we talking (me being 28)? Yes, I know it varies from person to person.

0,5mg of finasteride and you're in home buddy!

Does .5mg of finasteride make the side effects less noticeable?

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol. Thanks for the honesty. Part of me always knew that. I guess what I'm asking is: How severe, and in terms of a timeline, how advanced are we talking (me being 28)? Yes, I know it varies from person to person.

Does .5mg of finasteride make the side effects less noticeable?

It depends. In which way we gonna think.

I was on dose about 1mg~~ but, it didnt helped my hairline ( i am NW1.5/2) and dropped it month ago with a sides also(bone,muscle weakness blabla). But for sure i will run 0,5mg dose to maintain :) I will leave statistic diaphram here for you. ( You can find many researchs about it ) Just lurk more in google, get a knowledge. And make a decision. You can always hop in on 0.5mg and then switch.

2637-jpg.40960

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would say you are fine, just keep an eye on it. The tell tell signs are when the peaks above your sideburns start going. Sure you could go on finasteride, but you really have to weigh up the costs in terms of messing around with your hormones. Maturing hairline is normal, only a very lucky few grow old with a NW1.

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends. In which way we gonna think.

I was on dose about 1mg~~ but, it didnt helped my hairline ( i am NW1.5/2) and dropped it month ago with a sides also(bone,muscle weakness blabla). But for sure i will run 0,5mg dose to maintain :) I will leave statistic diaphram here for you. ( You can find many researchs about it ) Just lurk more in google, get a knowledge. And make a decision. You can always hop in on 0.5mg and then switch.

2637-jpg.40960

Bro, you're awesome -- appreciate the stat plot. Thank you!

I would say you are fine, just keep an eye on it. The tell tell signs are when the peaks above your sideburns start going. Sure you could go on finasteride, but you really have to weigh up the costs in terms of messing around with your hormones. Maturing hairline is normal, only a very lucky few grow old with a NW1.

Thanks, man. Yeah I agree, the hormone thing urks me. At this point I'm more concerned with my crown. I hear finasteride will at least make it somewhat thicker/ maintain. True?

I think I'm gonna try just applying the Mino for frequently to my crown, in addition to my hairline.

You guys rock.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response! Makes sense. The interesting thing about the crown thinning is that I don't seem to be shedding from that area. When I run a comb through my hair it seems to only come from the frontal regions.

I've been thinking about going on finasteride for a couple months now, but there's one major factor that keeps deterring me from it: the "bedroom" side effects. Are they really that noticeable? Have you, or anyone, experienced these side affects to a certain extent?

To sacrifice sexual prowess, or let nature run its course on my scalp....It's quite the predicament in my opinion.

Hey yeah I understand how hard of a decision it is to make. For about 6 years I was so sure I would never go on finasteride and that is why my small amount of recession scared me way more than it should have. I have always been very active with sports and hitting the gym and prided myself on being shredded and I was concerned getting on finasteride would somehow negate my ability to stay in good shape. I have been on for 2 years and the only side effect I have noticed is slightly lowered sex drive. This is where it comes subjective because I always had an insanely high sex drive, so for it to be somewhat lowered maybe 15-20% hasn't been a big deal to me. For other guys it could be devastating depending on their baseline.

In my opinion you will probably experience slightly lowered sex drive, however it hasn't stopped me from ever getting an erection at will or pleasing a women.

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey yeah I understand how hard of a decision it is to make. For about 6 years I was so sure I would never go on finasteride and that is why my small amount of recession scared me way more than it should have. I have always been very active with sports and hitting the gym and prided myself on being shredded and I was concerned getting on finasteride would somehow negate my ability to stay in good shape. I have been on for 2 years and the only side effect I have noticed is slightly lowered sex drive. This is where it comes subjective because I always had an insanely high sex drive, so for it to be somewhat lowered maybe 15-20% hasn't been a big deal to me. For other guys it could be devastating depending on their baseline.

In my opinion you will probably experience slightly lowered sex drive, however it hasn't stopped me from ever getting an erection at will or pleasing a women.

That was my other main concern. I play hockey and train in the gym pretty vigorously. Since finasteride is slowing the production of testosterone, I was always worried it would make me lazier in regards to training, and make me more lethargic when it comes to my workouts. Has anyone had any side effects pertaining to workout outs or muscle loss?

I've always had a really high sex drive as well. I'm not as concerned with not 'wanting' to have sex as much as I am with not 'being able' to have sex i.e. ED.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bro, you're awesome -- appreciate the stat plot. Thank you!

Thanks, man. Yeah I agree, the hormone thing urks me. At this point I'm more concerned with my crown. I hear finasteride will at least make it somewhat thicker/ maintain. True?

I think I'm gonna try just applying the Mino for frequently to my crown, in addition to my hairline.

You guys rock.

You normally maintain with Finasteride. Minoxidil will thicken up any thin hairs you have on your crown. It's unlikely you will go back to having a thick no scalp visible hair as you get towards 30. I doubt you will be developing a bald spot any time soon if that is what is freaking you out.

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
You normally maintain with Finasteride. Minoxidil will thicken up any thin hairs you have on your crown. It's unlikely you will go back to having a thick no scalp visible hair as you get towards 30. I doubt you will be developing a bald spot any time soon if that is what is freaking you out.

Thanks mr_robot. Yeah, definitely freaking out about that. Hopping the finasteride + Mino will at least maintain for 10 years (god willing). When I add finasteride I was also thinking about adding Nizoral 2%. I believe they call it "the big 3", yes?

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks mr_robot. Yeah, definitely freaking out about that. Hopping the finasteride + Mino will at least maintain for 10 years (god willing). When I add finasteride I was also thinking about adding Nizoral 2%. I believe they call it "the big 3", yes?

Yeah but to be honest I'm not a fan of Nizoral, it's way to harsh that's why you're only meant to use it twice a week. I personally use a piroctone olamine based shampoo, which is just as good and can be used every day.

nvibest

My Regimen
Reaction score
What's up everyone?

Just wanted to share some, i guess, "progress" pics (if you even want to call them that).

As I stated back in December, I've been on Rogaine foam since September. I'm not sure if it's done anything at all to be honest. All I'm seeing is miniaturization on my hairline, which I'm convinced is just male pattern baldness progression. I've also noticed that I've been seeing more hairs (I THINK) if I brush my hand through my hair (about 1-2). However, I sometimes feel like my brain is just looking for hairs to further propagate my hypochondria.

I went to a second derm a couple months ago and he gave me a script to finasteride, but I have yet to pull the trigger.

I was wondering if you guys could give your humble opinion on whether or not my hair line and thickness has gotten worse, or stayed the same, because I definitely don't think it has gotten any better.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• image9.jpg
    image9.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 292
  • image8.jpg
    image8.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 266
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 306
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 273
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 290
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 287
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 273
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 278
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 288

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From those pictures I'd certainly say you've got zero hair loss. You're getting on for 30 and you're a NW1, your hair is better than most at your age and I doubt it's hairloss, that being said, monitor it every few months just to be sure.