First Time Poster Here -- Propecia and The Big Picture

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Greetings All

This is my first post after extensive reading.

I am 37 years old. I have had baldness on my mind since I was a teenager considering my Dad starting balding when he was young, and his Dad was bald young. My Mom's side not so much, but there was some that were thinning. I pretty much succumbed to the paranoia and starting young with Minoxidil, even though I had quite a bit of hair. In my mid-twenties and sensed my frontal hairline was thinning and started Propecia in my late twenties. Gave up Minoxidil after a short while...it was such a pain to apply. It was all about holding off the thinning and buying time until I was old enough not to care.

The 1/4 Proscar was cheaper so I did that for a number of years. I was holding it off pretty good. Up until the last year or so, the Finasteride was just not working. Frontal hairline was receding faster and the overall thinning was taking over. I even noticed more thinning on the crown. So it was time to make a change. Now I am on a regime of Nizoral, Rogaine and just ordered Tricomin. I am down to 1/8 of Proscar every other day..

Now to the point -- There is no doubt Finasteride messed with my hormones. We're talking about 8 years of usage now. My sex drive went in the toilet and had more intense bouts of depression and "doom and gloom" anxiety. Seeing as it wasn't really doing the trick, I moved to topicals. The Rogaine foam is freaking amazing for thickening your hair appearance...I still have enough hair where I tend to get a lot on my hair and not as much on my scalp, but the evening spray takes care of that...But maybe the "Balding Theory" should be revisted wrt to Propecia..

Think about it. Like most guys who have receding frontal hairlines, I have a few isolated strands that are growing like normal. These isolated follicles seem to be immune to the effects of DHT. Why these follicles and not the others?? I submit that suppressing DHT via Finasteride of dutasteride is just not the way to do it. Yes it works, but there is a cost, and I strongly feel that any new advances in the curing baldness will involve fixing the follicles themselves. Bottom line is that the increased DHT is not making most men go completely bald. It just makes sense that the follicles that are "challenged" need help. I have strong muscular legs, but a wimpy upper body -- If I want to be buff, I need to workout, it won't come naturally. I don't need to workout to have muscular legs.

Summary -- After years of this, it seems that holding off balding/thinning will require a holistic approach. Bottom line is that those darn "wimpy" follicles need to be stimulated and given a kick in the *** to stay healthy --cold lasers, topical's do it... No surprise that the best results involve a combo of things...I can see that the truth about Propecia will come out and it will eventually become a dinosaur. And I think it is inevitable that most men will just become immuned to the darn drug because this isn't the way the problem is supposed to be cured...it just doesn't make sense.

Any comments??