First Time Buying - What Cap Type To Choose?

Rohan98

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm new to buying hair pieces so I'm wondering what cap type to buy. I will be ordering "US BIG SALE Remy Men Toupee Human Hair 8”x10” Hair Piece System Replacement Lace" from eBay.

Cap types listed:
- Micro Thin Skin
- Poly Skin
- Full Swiss Lace
- French Lace
- French Lace + Poly Skin
- Skin
- Bond
- Versalite
- Mono Base + NPU
- Mono Base + PU
- Full PU Base

I'm looking for something that is easy to wear without any strong hold because I will not be wearing it everyday. I want to use something like Got2b gel to only hold it for the day then take it off at night. I looked up some of the caps and I think French Lace will be the best for me. What do you guys think?

Also I know buying a hair piece from eBay isn't the best choice but it's my first time and I just wanna try it out, so I'm not really concerned about quality right now. However if you can recommend me some good beginner pieces then feel free to do so. Thank you

Noah

Reaction score
If you live in a warm climate and/or you are sporting or physically active, mesh (lace or mono) is better because it is breathable. The various skin and polyurethane bases are non-breathable.

The mesh bases run from Swiss lace (most delicate and undetectable) to mono (most robust and least undetectable) with French lace somewhere in-between. French lace seems like a good compromise for you, because if you will be taking it on and off you don't want it to be too delicate. You should also look at French lace + poly skin. I am not sure what that is, but if it means the main part of the base is lace but there is a poly rim or section, that might be good for you too. The poly rim will give the hairpiece a bit of dimensional stability, making it easier to put on if you are a newbie, and it will be somewhere where you can stick and remove tape easily without worrying too much about pulling out hairs or tearing the mesh - in other words you can be a bit rougher with poly than with lace.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Rohan98

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you live in a warm climate and/or you are sporting or physically active, mesh (lace or mono) is better because it is breathable. The various skin and polyurethane bases are non-breathable.

The mesh bases run from Swiss lace (most delicate and undetectable) to mono (most robust and least undetectable) with French lace somewhere in-between. French lace seems like a good compromise for you, because if you will be taking it on and off you don't want it to be too delicate. You should also look at French lace + poly skin. I am not sure what that is, but if it means the main part of the base is lace but there is a poly rim or section, that might be good for you too. The poly rim will give the hairpiece a bit of dimensional stability, making it easier to put on if you are a newbie, and it will be somewhere where you can stick and remove tape easily without worrying too much about pulling out hairs or tearing the mesh - in other words you can be a bit rougher with poly than with lace.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Thanks Noah that was really helpful. From what I can see in the picture, "French + Poly skin" is mostly lace with a small part of Poly skin on the back of the head (or front, I can't really tell lol)

One more question. Can I wear it without shaving my head? I'm not completely bald yet and my hair is at a medium length right now. I'm not looking for a strong hold so I won't be using glue or anything like that, so can I just wear it with some gel or tape over my hair?

Noah

Reaction score
You can wear without shaving, but you won't be getting the best result. The hair system base is designed to be semi-transparent, so that when it sits next to your bald scalp it becomes visually one with your scalp, and the hair which is coming out of the base looks as if it is coming out of your scalp. If you still have hair growing under the base, that hair will be visible, and so will the base sitting on top of it. It will be apparent to people looking at your hair closely that your hair is coming out of a base, and not your scalp. Also, taping or gluing over your hair is not ideal. The hold will be less, it will be messy to clean up, and if you use tape you may lose a few of your natural hairs each time you remove.

I would say by all means do this for a few days to try the system out and see that you are OK with it, but once you decide you are OK it's best to shave. Or, if you want to continue to have the option to wear or not wear, order a different kind of system, which is designed to sit in front of your natural hair and brush back into it. Some actors use that technique - Chris Evans is one. They can have a full unreceded hairline for the cameras, but then take the piece off and go back to their receded hair in their downtime. That concept requires a bit more design though - you would probably need a small custom piece, and it also depends what your remaining hair looks like. If you want to PM a photo, I could give you more specific advice about what's possible.

Rohan98

My Regimen
Reaction score
You can wear without shaving, but you won't be getting the best result. The hair system base is designed to be semi-transparent, so that when it sits next to your bald scalp it becomes visually one with your scalp, and the hair which is coming out of the base looks as if it is coming out of your scalp. If you still have hair growing under the base, that hair will be visible, and so will the base sitting on top of it. It will be apparent to people looking at your hair closely that your hair is coming out of a base, and not your scalp. Also, taping or gluing over your hair is not ideal. The hold will be less, it will be messy to clean up, and if you use tape you may lose a few of your natural hairs each time you remove.

I would say by all means do this for a few days to try the system out and see that you are OK with it, but once you decide you are OK it's best to shave. Or, if you want to continue to have the option to wear or not wear, order a different kind of system, which is designed to sit in front of your natural hair and brush back into it. Some actors use that technique - Chris Evans is one. They can have a full unreceded hairline for the cameras, but then take the piece off and go back to their receded hair in their downtime. That concept requires a bit more design though - you would probably need a small custom piece, and it also depends what your remaining hair looks like. If you want to PM a photo, I could give you more specific advice about what's possible.

Ah that's fine then. I'm just gonna get the one from eBay because it has 3 day delivery and I know custom pieces take a while to make, so that's not really an option for me at the moment. I'm probably gonna end up shaving my head anyway, especially if the hair piece looks good on me.

Thanks for the quick answers I really appreciate it.

Noah

Reaction score
A pleasure. Good luck with everything. Let us know how it goes.

Noah

Yagami

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Rohan,
I know that you are just testing and don't care to order on eBay, but I have found a better price than eBay with free shipping worldwide and a 15$ off for your first order plus some free credits that gives you some more $ off. Delivery time is 3 days too.
It will cost you less than 150$, but the hair is Indian human hair and not Remy European.
I'm not affiliated with this company, you can check my posts history and pictures of my system. I started 3 weeks ago and I'm still learning.
I can send you the link by DM if you are interested.
Welcome to the HS wearer community :)