First time buyer, need some advice on Lord hair options (or alternatives)

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm currently wearing a front piece cut from a full size system that a salon custom ordered for me. It's a mono base (I think), with double stitched knots and a density of 120%. I'm not entirely sure where it came from, but I have my suspicion that it's from lordhair, and as you can see, it's pretty obvious (I was even clocked by coworkers on a windy day). There seem to be very few styles that hide the dead ants all over my scalp, or the black line showing through my fringe. I'm considering ordering a stock full lace system from lord hair, and cutting multiple pieces out of it, but there aren't many to choose from that meet my requirements (full lace, medium density, light brown, real human hair and preferably around 8"). There's seems to be only one meeting all of these categories, but I need some advice before I pull the trigger. https://www.lordhair.com/yj041-full-cap-lady-wigs.html Does anyone know of any other quality manufacturers that would meet these requirements on a stock system? I'm UK based if that makes any difference.
IMG_20210908_134316_0.jpg

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You sure thats not a poly piece? Also always go light density if you are of European descent. We have much finer hair than the indians/chinese the hair is sourced from.

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't look like mono or lace to me either...and your "ants" (lol) are more like lines caused by vloop poly ...

The model your are considering Is a full wig.. won't work ..

Consider this model https://www.lordhair.com/swiss-lace-hair-system-men-lordhair.html

Note that the bleached knots are only in front, so you may to do the rest yourself if you don't want any ants
The density is only medium light, I'm still young so I think it might be a bit too thin, I'm not sure. I'm glad I posted this on here, I would've bought that original wig and glued it onto my scalp XD

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The density is only medium light, I'm still young so I think it might be a bit too thin, I'm not sure. I'm glad I posted this on here, I would've bought that original wig and glued it onto my scalp XD
I thought you were seeking therapeutic relief from baldness. Anyway, I wish you the best.

Smidgeon

My Regimen
Reaction score

Also bear in mind, in your shopping around, that skin systems may be easier to get hold of (and last longer if you get a thick one) than lace. So don't limit yourself to only looking for lace, when another type of base may suit your needs better, be cheaper or be easier to get hold of with all the stock issues. Not saying don't shop for lace/mono but just keep your options open.

Both of the companies above also do cut ins (so they will cut the base to your size and give it a hair cut for you, then all you need to do is plonk it on when it arrives)
:)

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything is always complicated for guys. It sounds like a substantial bit of work to wear a system and nobody knows how to clean them or whatever. It seems like being in bondage cause if you don't put the time in, then I guess they don't look as nice. Wigs are toss on, toss off, with very little muss or fuss plus they move like real hair and are brushable. For longer hair styles involving "systems", why not just wear a wig but I might be missing something. I have worn a wig for a year and a half.

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything is always complicated for guys. It sounds like a substantial bit of work to wear a system and nobody knows how to clean them or whatever. It seems like being in bondage cause if you don't put the time in, then I guess they don't look as nice. Wigs are toss on, toss off, with very little muss or fuss plus they move like real hair and are brushable. For longer hair styles involving "systems", why not just wear a wig but I might be missing something. I have worn a wig for a year and a half.
Because wigs on a man look flat out fake. You need the illusion of hair growing from the scalp (system glued down). You need to be able to see scalp through your "hair". You need to be able to be in the wind, be rained on, do a handstand. You need to be able to cut it SHORT. Can I achieve a brushed back hairstyle with a wig? Absolutely not.

You can brush, shower, swim, sweat, ride a motorcycle, have sex, jet-ski, and scuba dive all in a hair system. I would know, I've done all of these things. Can you do that in a wig?

Seriously, why do you keep posting your opinions here when you have zero experience?

Why else don't you think men won't wear traditional wigs? If they looked real, we would.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because wigs on a man look flat out fake. You need the illusion of hair growing from the scalp (system glued down). You need to be able to see scalp through your "hair". You need to be able to be in the wind, be rained on, do a handstand. You need to be able to cut it SHORT. Can I achieve a brushed back hairstyle with a wig? Absolutely not.

You can brush, shower, swim, sweat, ride a motorcycle, have sex, jet-ski, and scuba dive all in a hair system. I would know, I've done all of these things. Can you do that in a wig?

Seriously, why do you keep posting your opinions here when you have zero experience?

Why else don't you think men won't wear traditional wigs? If they looked real, we would.
Those are good points about the activities but I see guys on here afraid to do any of those things. I never think about people looking at my scalp. I was in the market possibly 37 years ago for a system but then things started kicking in maintenance-wise. I do agree that wigs look less than good on people with stubble or ability to grow a beard but some do that with longer systems. Maybe I have looked ridiculous without realizing it. For females, there's little to no priority to having a wig look real, at least not for people say 30's and beyond. I usually out my wig myself if someone tells me it looks nice so I have a hang up about getting purported praise for something I didn't grow and I don't think that's an uncommon sentiment. The reason why I asked is because systems threads seem to be on the uprise although I have only been on here for 11 months. I do at least think that it's worth considering.

I am asexual so that's typically a bit personal but for people on the bottom, wigs should stay on. Wigs also seem to do fine in the rain and wind, although you have to hold it on if you don't use pins and a skull cap. Some people seem desperately afraid for others to know they wear a system and I guess as a male I would not be different. Brushed back hair styles to me are more of a bug and not a feature since the hair lines eh, seem to be artificially low compared to most men with full heads of hair. Why would that be? That seems to make them more spotable. But don't think I haven't felt the same sorts of humiliation cause I was NW7 for several months to maybe half a year. Here I also include a "male" picture of me in the wig although post-beard removal and I think it looks pretty decent and I am thankful for the experience. Being non-binary contrary to popular myth, isn't always a choice nor is it "fun" necessarily.

Attachments

• aw.jpg
    aw.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 75
  • bald.png
    bald.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 75
  • balder.png
    balder.png
    105 KB · Views: 72
  • balderest.png
    balderest.png
    108 KB · Views: 76

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Also bear in mind, in your shopping around, that skin systems may be easier to get hold of (and last longer if you get a thick one) than lace. So don't limit yourself to only looking for lace, when another type of base may suit your needs better, be cheaper or be easier to get hold of with all the stock issues. Not saying don't shop for lace/mono but just keep your options open.

Both of the companies above also do cut ins (so they will cut the base to your size and give it a hair cut for you, then all you need to do is plonk it on when it arrives)
Thanks for the response, I've just heard lace is the most undetectable, but I guess anything will be better than what I'm wearing currently. I haven't heard of Lavid hair before, I'll give them a look.

Smidgeon

My Regimen
Reaction score
In regards to lace, I think it is a case of how the knots are done. If it is a cheap lace chances are the knots will not be done well and it'll end up being more detectable. In other words a cheap poly might be better than a cheap lace.

But, who knows I am still learning too so haven't yet decided on which of the 847 different types and sub types of bases that are out there I prefer lol.

I am also UK, and it looks like Salon places (like Neu hair 4 men) etc is all we have.

these guys are awesome but also Salon prices.

https://hairreplacementstylist.co.uk/ is awesome and in the UK, excuse the terrible 1990's website. His videos are great though and he seems like a really nice guy and knows his stuff, plus check his youtube he has worn a system for ages. He will do video calls etc but his systems are about £400 i think

Lavivid / Lordhair, heard good and bad about both but have swung towards Lavivid recently and had intended on getting my spare units from them.

However I came cross and even though they seem a bit dodgy (well to be fair they could still be dodgy lol) but I thought it may be cheaper/quicker to get units direct from manufacturers. rather buying from Lavivid, for example, who may even buy from them but then add their own % on top (plus waiting time as the units travel all the way to America and then to the UK). Cutting out the middle man, so to speak. Even spoke to them on whatsapp and they were really helpful, sent pics of units etc. Which fyi, gave a much better indication of colour than the pics on their site. Anyway, undecided about them yet. may get a lavivid spare first and then start experimenting with other vendors. They will also cut the unit and give it a haircut too.

Oh and for hair system p**rn check out these guys lol, amazing make overs! it'll at least give you some ideas about bases or hair style possibilities etc. Just make sure you switch on the automated subtitles on youtube as it's in German.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

STS (Super Thin Skin, 0.06-0.08 mm) do not normally last as long as French Lace. Any thicker can be really uncomfortable.

You will need to do a bit of blending after you get a system that is precut unless your bio hair is totally buzzed or shaved.

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In regards to lace, I think it is a case of how the knots are done. If it is a cheap lace chances are the knots will not be done well and it'll end up being more detectable. In other words a cheap poly might be better than a cheap lace.

But, who knows I am still learning too so haven't yet decided on which of the 847 different types and sub types of bases that are out there I prefer lol.

I am also UK, and it looks like Salon places (like Neu hair 4 men) etc is all we have.

these guys are awesome but also Salon prices.

https://hairreplacementstylist.co.uk/ is awesome and in the UK, excuse the terrible 1990's website. His videos are great though and he seems like a really nice guy and knows his stuff, plus check his youtube he has worn a system for ages. He will do video calls etc but his systems are about £400 i think

Lavivid / Lordhair, heard good and bad about both but have swung towards Lavivid recently and had intended on getting my spare units from them.

However I came cross and even though they seem a bit dodgy (well to be fair they could still be dodgy lol) but I thought it may be cheaper/quicker to get units direct from manufacturers. rather buying from Lavivid, for example, who may even buy from them but then add their own % on top (plus waiting time as the units travel all the way to America and then to the UK). Cutting out the middle man, so to speak. Even spoke to them on whatsapp and they were really helpful, sent pics of units etc. Which fyi, gave a much better indication of colour than the pics on their site. Anyway, undecided about them yet. may get a lavivid spare first and then start experimenting with other vendors. They will also cut the unit and give it a haircut too.

Oh and for hair system p**rn check out these guys lol, amazing make overs! it'll at least give you some ideas about bases or hair style possibilities etc. Just make sure you switch on the automated subtitles on youtube as it's in German.

Thank you so much for the info, the wholesale supplier has medium density lace in stock, although only in black. I think at first going with a salon is a great idea, especially if they teach you about proper maintenance and how to cut your own.

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
STS (Super Thin Skin, 0.06-0.08 mm) do not normally last as long as French Lace. Any thicker can be really uncomfortable.

You will need to do a bit of blending after you get a system that is precut unless your bio hair is totally buzzed or shaved.
Do you know of any stock, medium density system suppliers? Medium light looks too thin, but 99% of the systems you see are this density.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you know of any stock, medium density system suppliers? Medium light looks too thin, but 99% of the systems you see are this density.

I do, feel free to PM me. There is a reason that most of the systems that are sold are medium-light, it is because they are what fits most guys.

Jbalding

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those are good points about the activities but I see guys on here afraid to do any of those things. I never think about people looking at my scalp. I was in the market possibly 37 years ago for a system but then things started kicking in maintenance-wise. I do agree that wigs look less than good on people with stubble or ability to grow a beard but some do that with longer systems. Maybe I have looked ridiculous without realizing it. For females, there's little to no priority to having a wig look real, at least not for people say 30's and beyond. I usually out my wig myself if someone tells me it looks nice so I have a hang up about getting purported praise for something I didn't grow and I don't think that's an uncommon sentiment. The reason why I asked is because systems threads seem to be on the uprise although I have only been on here for 11 months. I do at least think that it's worth considering.

I am asexual so that's typically a bit personal but for people on the bottom, wigs should stay on. Wigs also seem to do fine in the rain and wind, although you have to hold it on if you don't use pins and a skull cap. Some people seem desperately afraid for others to know they wear a system and I guess as a male I would not be different. Brushed back hair styles to me are more of a bug and not a feature since the hair lines eh, seem to be artificially low compared to most men with full heads of hair. Why would that be? That seems to make them more spotable. But don't think I haven't felt the same sorts of humiliation cause I was NW7 for several months to maybe half a year. Here I also include a "male" picture of me in the wig although post-beard removal and I think it looks pretty decent and I am thankful for the experience. Being non-binary contrary to popular myth, isn't always a choice nor is it "fun" necessarily.
You have a good point about wearing a wig as a woman. There is far less societal pressure. That's why you see guys going to great lengths here - we all just don't want to be detected if we can help it. Most of the posts here are questions from new/prospective wearers or theorycrafting from experienced users trying to push boundaries.

If you can't be sold on just how good a system can look, you haven't done any looking. There are plenty of flawless examples. There are also bad ones, but systems in general have a huge learning curve and research is needed to be optimal.

Also you should look at black women - they use hair systems as well. Glued in lace fronts. They don't necessarily tend to go for as much realism as we may, because its assumed as a black woman if you have straight, fine, hair you are wearing hair anyways - there isnt a stigma.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info, the wholesale supplier has medium density lace in stock, although only in black. I think at first going with a salon is a great idea, especially if they teach you about proper maintenance and how to cut your own.
Yeah 2 years ago I tried DYI as an alternative to concealers and couldn't do it well and went back. Finally tired of the limitations of concealors so I went the salon route (but NOT Hair Club for Men who totally rip you off), it is pricey and I am learning a lot from them (I'm only 2 months in so we'll see how long before I stop that route).

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have a good point about wearing a wig as a woman. There is far less societal pressure. That's why you see guys going to great lengths here - we all just don't want to be detected if we can help it. Most of the posts here are questions from new/prospective wearers or theorycrafting from experienced users trying to push boundaries.

If you can't be sold on just how good a system can look, you haven't done any looking. There are plenty of flawless examples. There are also bad ones, but systems in general have a huge learning curve and research is needed to be optimal.

Also you should look at black women - they use hair systems as well. Glued in lace fronts. They don't necessarily tend to go for as much realism as we may, because its assumed as a black woman if you have straight, fine, hair you are wearing hair anyways - there isnt a stigma.
I agree with all of this and I have also attempted to make clear that Janey is at times, if not often, being satirical about the limitations of all XY hair palliatives and they all carry at least some stigma. I used to always remove my Rogaine labels and I know of other guys doing that while in a dating relationship. After marriage, it didn't matter to me and I told her vaguely about having had a transplant which she claimed not to being able to detect but I could, knowing what to look at. Hey, I coined the term "just in it for the hair" to help XY's who want juvenile hair but none of the MtF baggage and I and most MtF's are often sloppy about the differences between being MtF directionally in terms of hair and looks and being MtF psychologically. Now that fewer and fewer non-binary MtF's are getting surgery, the distinctions are much more blurred. Formerly, virtually all "transexuals" which term has fallen into disrepute, were strongly wired as being homosexual in terms of say, being XY's who are attracted to men. Me, I have no such gender preferences as they are largely for many non-binary folks not applicable or relevant.

Best,
Janey

Last edited: