First post Vitamin restores organs

TheNothing85

Reaction score
Comments

An international study, published in the journal*Science*has led to a promising breakthrough in the field of anti-ageing medicine. A vitamin called nicotinamide riboside (NR) -- already known to boost metabolism -- has been found to restore the body's ability to regenerate and repair itself.

The regenerative capacity of cells and organs deteriorates with age. The "powerhouses" of cell function -- called mitochondria -- lose energy over time and prevent cells from regenerating as they once did.
Research teams from Switzerland, Canada and Brazil studied how these changes occur over time. The role of mitochondria in metabolism has already been identified, but the scientists were able to demonstrate for the first time that healthy, functioning mitochondria were important for stem cell function.

In younger bodies, these stem cells usually regenerate damaged organs by producing new, specific cells. "We demonstrated that fatigue in stem cells was one of the main causes of poor regeneration or even degeneration in certain tissues or organs," explains Dr Hongbo Zhang, a PhD student on the team.

Could this slow hairloss?

drgs_not_hugs

Reaction score
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...e-nrniagen-personal-experience-thread/page-24

"Other random things I have experienced: My hair is growing a lot faster. I have hair that grows really slow and it has been that way all my life so that is an interesting change."

"I am 72 years old and black hair has been growing on my arms and legs for the first time in 30 years. I believe the Naigen may be stimulating my body to do this (along with other supplements). My memory has also improved in some ways."

"- There is hair regrowth - hairline has grown back somewhat. I have documented that with pictures but I did multiple things at the same time, need to write this sometimes down."

"Has anybody noticed improvement in hair growth from using NR? I am trying to determine whether the recovery of hairline I am seeing is of oral use of NR & PT. The picture below on the left shows the hairline approx 6 monts ago (just started using NR&PT) and on the right how it is today. I am fairly convinced it has improved and that it will continue to improve as the "open space" is covered with small blond "baby" hairs which are not visible in the picture. Those gradually slowly turn dark on the hairline."

"I have as well. I went from about 95% bald on top to around 85% bald over 9 months of use at 250mg per day. Who knows what would have happened if I started before my hair loss was bad though. Its a nice side result that hopefully indicates it is helping inside as well."

"I haven't noticed any regrowth at the temple areas where some receding has occurred, but I did notice a thickening of my hair. Seems to be a darker shade of brown also, strangely. My mother also noticed thicker hair, possibly less greying, and best fingernail growth in a long time. She also noticed quicker healing after a hard fall."

"I did NOT see any iprovements in:
- skin (skin texture, like less wrinkles, etc.)
- hair (less gray, regrowth, etc.)
- I have problems when the weather changes, I feel pain through my legs and neck (we had a whiplash like 16 years ago when a car hit us in the rear) and the neck pain when weather changes is bothersome - so this pain both legs and neck did not change/improve"

"Maybe less is more? I'm taking a gram a day incrementally throughout the day, and I've noticed none of the effects mentioned recently here (improvements in eyesight, hair, nails, skin, eg). "

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
It's worth adding to a regime as it's fairly inexpensive (Found a brand that sells 250mg caps at about $1 per pill - cheapest I could find though), but I would not expect this to do anything by itself.

drgs_not_hugs

Reaction score
It's basically a vitamin B3 supplement, but in a special form, which is a precursor to NAD+, which decreases as we age
NAD+ makes mitochondria work harder:

"Moreover, even if NR supplements do provide an immediate jolt to muscle mitochondrial metabolism in the way that the Harvard NMN studies suggest, it’s not clear that doing so is a good idea in the long term. NMN injections don’t improve mitochondrial function by repairing molecular damage wrought by the aging process in the organelles, nor in other cells and biomolecules whose damage with age results in a dampening-down of mitochondrial activity (see discussion in Question of the Month #11: “Are Mitochondrial Mutations Really All That Important?”). Instead, NMN injections leave the existing damage in place, and induce the still-functional mitochondria to work harder and pump out more energy. This is rather like pushing harder on the gas pedal when your car is not running at full power due to damage to its cams and push rods: it may make the car go faster in the short term, but the underlying damage hasn’t been fixed, and will likely get even worse from the excessive wear."

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Did a bit of reading on this as well. In the research I looked through, supplementation with nicotinamide riboside increased NAD+ with evidence of mitochondrial biogenesis. I assume this means the creation of new mitochondria, and that is the reason for the increase in energy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EMBO Molecular Medicine
Effective treatment of mitochondrial myopathy by nicotinamide riboside, a vitamin B3
Nutrient availability is the major regulator of life and reproduction, and a complex cellular signaling network has evolved to adapt organisms to fasting. These sensor pathways monitor cellular energy metabolism, especially mitochondrial ATPproduction and NAD+/NADHratio, as major signals for nutritional state. We hypothesized that these signals would be modified by mitochondrial respiratory chain disease, because of inefficient NADHutilization and ATPproduction. Oral administration of nicotinamide riboside (NR), a vitamin B3 and NAD+precursor, was previously shown to boost NAD+levels in mice and to induce mitochondrial biogenesis. Here, we treated mitochondrial myopathy mice with NR. This vitamin effectively delayed early‐ and late‐stage disease progression, by robustly inducing mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle and brown adipose tissue, preventing mitochondrial ultrastructure abnormalities and mtDNAdeletion formation. NRfurther stimulated mitochondrial unfolded protein response, suggesting its protective role in mitochondrial disease. These results indicate that NRand strategies boosting NAD+levels are a promising treatment strategy for mitochondrial myopathy.

Last edited:

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not sure what happened to my posts in this thread but they are gone. Also yhe ones from id walker are gone. I have been on this for a week now. Not really noticing any difference yet. Maybe a tad more energy and focus....maybe. i got it from swansons site, brand is NHP or something like that. Ill keep you guys updated. Hopefully posts wont keep getting deleted

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All posts from a week were deleted due to a software bug. There's a sticky about it from the Admin.

I've been taking this as well. Who knows if it's doing anything.

Can you tell me what brand you bought.? Mine was HPN

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you tell me what brand you bought.? Mine was HPN

Same. I take so many supplements though, God only knows what to attribute any effects to.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If i dont see or feel any benefit ill try another brand and see if theres a difference

drgs_not_hugs

Reaction score
I think the older you are, the bigger the effect you will feel

I've been taking Niagen for 3 days now. I noticed I need less sleep -- I've waken up before the alarm 2 days in a row now
But I'm not super energetic or anything

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think the older you are, the bigger the effect you will feel

I've been taking Niagen for 3 days now. I noticed I need less sleep -- I've waken up before the alarm 2 days in a row now
But I'm not super energetic or anything

I too have been waking earlier and cannot fall back asleep at all. Its annoying. Wonder why it may be shortening our sleep

drgs_not_hugs

Reaction score
Guys, I think this is working for me. I've also started supplementing with Vit B6 + Zinc
I don't know which one of these are doing the work, but I'm not losing anything