First Piece From Salon - Not Great, Have Questions

Mirko89

My Regimen
Reaction score
I finally found a salon in my city and took the plunge two days ago.
The price was pretty steep but I opted to have someone do it for me the first time rather than going DIY at first.

The stylist said the piece was french lace and I have to ask - how detectable should french lace be to the touch? I can easily feel a hard edge all around my scalp. It is not exactly visible but I am keeping the hairline semiexposed/unexposed at the moment. It is also very dense.

Also, he didn't do the attachment properly. I have a small lift in the front hairline which appeared 2 hours after the appointment. I would have gone back but they closed for the weekend. Stylist will be cleaning and reattaching in 10 days, and I think it's only going to get worse until then.

I didn't pick up any glue after the appointment and feel that I should have. Honestly it looks good enough but I'm having a hard time with it psychologically. Someone patted me on the head and I nearly jumped out of my seat.

Any advice for a first time wearer? I mainly want to know about the detectability to touch with french lace, anyone running their hands through my hair would feel it. He used tape and glue.

Thanks all.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I finally found a salon in my city and took the plunge two days ago.
The price was pretty steep but I opted to have someone do it for me the first time rather than going DIY at first.

The stylist said the piece was french lace and I have to ask - how detectable should french lace be to the touch? I can easily feel a hard edge all around my scalp. It is not exactly visible but I am keeping the hairline semiexposed/unexposed at the moment. It is also very dense.

Also, he didn't do the attachment properly. I have a small lift in the front hairline which appeared 2 hours after the appointment. I would have gone back but they closed for the weekend. Stylist will be cleaning and reattaching in 10 days, and I think it's only going to get worse until then.

I didn't pick up any glue after the appointment and feel that I should have. Honestly it looks good enough but I'm having a hard time with it psychologically. Someone patted me on the head and I nearly jumped out of my seat.

Any advice for a first time wearer? I mainly want to know about the detectability to touch with french lace, anyone running their hands through my hair would feel it. He used tape and glue.

Thanks all.

There are many members that use French lace. French lace ;however, is the most detectable of modern systems. The least detectable being Swiss lace or ultra thin skin. Not saying it's bad or super obvious, just that out of the three modern systems it is the least discrete.

Monofilament is more detectable but hardly anyone uses those anymore...... They're like fishing string.

Unless you're in your twenties you would want to keep density to a light medium or less.... the idea is to match your bio/ side hair....and always have a graduated hairline..... preferably some temporal rescission built-in as well.

Dont get discouraged!...Look at it this way... this is the worst it will ever be... every day, week, month, and year moving forward will keep incrementally improving :)

Post some of photos so we can see.

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are many members that use French lace. French lace ;however, is the most detectable of modern systems. The least detectable being Swiss lace or ultra thin skin. Not saying it's bad or super obvious, just that out of the three modern systems it is the least discrete.

Monofilament is more detectable but hardly anyone uses those anymore...... They're like fishing string.

Unless you're in your twenties you would want to keep density to a light medium or less.... the idea is to match your bio/ side hair....and always have a graduated hairline..... preferably some temporal rescission built-in as well.

Dont get discouraged!...Look at it this way... this is the worst it will ever be... every day, week, month, and year moving forward will keep incrementally improving :)

Sorry to jump in as I can't offer any advice, but I hope it works out well for Mirko.

I have been thinking about my first attachment and cut-in and have questions.
Are there no fail-safe measures that can be taken for that first cut-in with a new hairpiece? The color match would be obvious immediately, but the finished hair style, blend, and texture match are the big unknowns until it's all done. Once the head is shaved there is no backing out regardless of the final results. So I am wondering can they not do some kind of a weak bond with tape over the existing bio hair for the first cut-in, and assuming that everything turns out satisfactory, the piece could then be detached with alcohol (hopefully with minimal damage to bio hair) and then proceed with shaving the head and attaching the piece properly. Obviously this would be costlier but I wouldn't mind spending the extra first time around just for piece of mind. Has anyone had it done this way or is aware of this being done?

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in as I can't offer any advice, but I hope it works out well for Mirko.

I have been thinking about my first attachment and cut-in and have questions.
Are there no fail-safe measures that can be taken for that first cut-in with a new hairpiece? The color match would be obvious immediately, but the finished hair style, blend, and texture match are the big unknowns until it's all done. Once the head is shaved there is no backing out regardless of the final results. So I am wondering can they not do some kind of a weak bond with tape over the existing bio hair for the first cut-in, and assuming that everything turns out satisfactory, the piece could then be detached with alcohol (hopefully with minimal damage to bio hair) and then proceed with shaving the head and attaching the piece properly. Obviously this would be costlier but I wouldn't mind spending the extra first time around just for piece of mind. Has anyone had it done this way or is aware of this being done?

Don't worry so much. That's like taping the tip of your nose to your forehead to see if a rhinoplasty will look good.

Just compare the color and texture to your own hair. Obviously if the colors way off don't use it. But most anything can be corrected once installed. Just have them air on the side of caution by leaving it a tad longer. Everything can be tweaked along the way.... but you have to start at step "A" which is getting it installed on your head :)

Mirko89

My Regimen
Reaction score

Images attached. Woke up with it looking way frizzier than yesterday. Any advice on what to do about the lift, and how I can style it with a wet look without ruining the bond? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2409.jpg
    IMG_2409.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_2411.jpg
    IMG_2411.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 372

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Images attached. Woke up with it looking way frizzier than yesterday. Any advice on what to do about the lift, and how I can style it with a wet look without ruining the bond? Thank you
It does appear quite a bit darker than the sides.

For wet look use a styling product that indicates medium to high shine.

I've had great results with pure jojoba oil applied to damp hair, before styling.

As far as the lift I would probably order some adhesive. Ghost Bond if you want to go with a water-based or ultra hold for something solvent based.

Clean the hairline base and scalp with alcohol and apply the adhesive. Wait 3 minutes then press down.

You can get ashesives quickly from a local Beauty Supply aka ethnic wig store...

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It frustrates me to no end the incompetent people in this industry! Specifically, the service providers that work with customers.

I read about it on this, and other forums, and see it every day, out in the street. I should NOT be noticing your hair system if it's done correctly.

Hopefully, I can make a small difference in my little corner of the world.

Mirko89

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm gonna get some glue and maybe bleach the knots of the front hair line.

Yeah I'm not impressed with the attachment, I think I could have done better myself on the front hairline at least.

The only thing I'm concerned about is if he's given me a monofilament unit and said it's french lace. I know french lace is the most detectable but I didn't think it would be this detectable. Is there any way to tell? This is my first piece and have no idea.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm gonna get some glue and maybe bleach the knots of the front hair line.

Yeah I'm not impressed with the attachment, I think I could have done better myself on the front hairline at least.

The only thing I'm concerned about is if he's given me a monofilament unit and said it's french lace. I know french lace is the most detectable but I didn't think it would be this detectable. Is there any way to tell? This is my first piece and have no idea.
It's hard to see....but French lace is front/hairline, mono is center.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Mirko

Lace has a pattern of tiny circles or hexagons, whereas on monofilament the threads are just woven like cloth - crossing one another at right-angles to make square holes. Here is a close-up of my lace piece.

IMG_5661.PNG

To fix your lift, you will need to pull up the loose front area and clip it back out of the way. Then clean off the old glue - most easily done by dabbing cotton wool on it and rubbing the cotton wool-glue boogers off. The bring the hairline down again and mark where it lies on your forehead by digging your thumbnail into your forehead (or you can use a make-up pencil). Then clip the loose area up again, and apply the glue, using the marks to show you the edge of where to glue. Then let it dry (use a hairdryer to speed it up if you like). Apply a second coat, and let it dry too. Then carefully bring down the loose base and apply it on the glued area. Then press the edge of the hairpiece firmly into the glue with the teeth of a comb held sideways.

Hope this is useful.

Noah

Leduc

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Mirko

Lace has a pattern of tiny circles or hexagons, whereas on monofilament the threads are just woven like cloth - crossing one another at right-angles to make square holes. Here is a close-up of my lace piece.

View attachment 133005

To fix your lift, you will need to pull up the loose front area and clip it back out of the way. Then clean off the old glue - most easily done by dabbing cotton wool on it and rubbing the cotton wool-glue boogers off. The bring the hairline down again and mark where it lies on your forehead by digging your thumbnail into your forehead (or you can use a make-up pencil). Then clip the loose area up again, and apply the glue, using the marks to show you the edge of where to glue. Then let it dry (use a hairdryer to speed it up if you like). Apply a second coat, and let it dry too. Then carefully bring down the loose base and apply it on the glued area. Then press the edge of the hairpiece firmly into the glue with the teeth of a comb held sideways.

Hope this is useful.

Noah

Hi Noah. I saw your holiday pictures in another thread, in one you wore your hair combed up so there was some scalp visible. How are you bonding to keep the base/hexagons hidden? Are you glueing or taping your system? The pics looked great BTW.

Noah

Reaction score
Thanks Leduc. I use Davlyn Black glue for the front of my piece where everything is visible. Around the sides and back I use tape (Walkers No-Shine) for convenience, because it's hidden under the thick hair.

However, the Swiss lace base that I wear disappears pretty effectively just by being laid against the scalp, even before it is glued down. The only place I really have to be concerned about anyone spotting anything is the front.