First Mechanical Isolation Immediate Autologous Clinical Use In Androgenetic Alopecia And Hair Loss

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Background: Hair follicles are known to contain a well-characterized niche for adult stem cells: the bulge, which contains epithelial and melanocytic stem cells. Stem cells in the hair bulge, a clearly demarcated structure within the lower permanent portion of hair follicles, can generate the interfollicular epidermis, hair follicle structures, and sebaceous glands. The bulge epithelial stem cells can also reconstitute in an artificial in vivo system to a new hair follicle.

Methods: In this study, we have developed a new method to isolate human adult stem cells by mechanical centrifugation of punch biopsy from human hair follicles without culture condition. Here, we used human follicle stem cells (HFSCs), to improve the hair density in 11 patients (38 to 61 years old) affected by Androgenetic Alopecia in stage 3–5 as determined by the Norwood-Hamilton classification scale.

Results: The primary outcomes were microscopic identification and counting of HFSCs. The secondary outcomes were clinical preliminary results and safety and feasibility in HFSCs-treated scalp. Each scalp tissue suspension contained about 3,728.5±664.5 cells. The percentage of hair follicle-derived mesenchymal stem cells CD44+ [from dermal papilla (DP)] was about 5%+0.7% whereas the percentage of hair follicle epithelial stem cells CD200+ (from the bulge) was about 2.6%+0.3%. In total, 23 weeks after the last treatment with HFSCs mean hair count and hair density increases over baseline values. In particular, a 29%±5% increase in hair density for the treated area and less than a 1% increase in hair density for the placebo area.

Conclusions: We have shown that the isolated cells are capable to improve the hair density in patients affected by androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). These cells appear to be located in the bulge area of human.

Source:
http://sci.amegroups.com/article/view/15436/15549

abba

My Regimen
Reaction score
Let me see if i understood the results well, this treatment got between 24 and 34% of increase in hair density on the test subjects? Once this becomes available in the market it'll be great news for the diffuse thinners. Maybe for the people who are looking for density in the hairline as well.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What impresses me about this is that they actually show detailed, clear, photos of everything they're talking about. In this day and age asking for photographic evidence of what you're a study or claims is too much, and just the study itself is enough nowadays. This study is refreshing and seems like it was done by serious people who don't want to leave readers in the dark. Thanks.

2r5gldl.png

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
What impresses me about this is that they actually show detailed, clear, photos of everything they're talking about. In this day and age asking for photographic evidence of what you're a study or claims is too much, and just the study itself is enough nowadays. This study is refreshing and seems like it was done by serious people who don't want to leave readers in the dark. Thanks.

View attachment 56923

Acording to the study the assay in this guy was the right temporal and frontal area.

Are the before/after the same area? Hairblues talked about it.

GotHair?

Established Member
Reaction score
Could be interesting since they are testing in humans and since we are talking about isolating one owns cells this seems what PRP should be like.
Will they be offering it in clinic?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Deriving human follicle stem cells is a superior advancement instead of using adipose or blood and I think it might make PRP more effective. But unless they multiply the stem cells how are they going to get enough to generate a multitude of follicles in the injected scalp?

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Would this take any fda approval? If we can get prp i dont see why this cannot be offered relatively quickly

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Is this method comparable with Replicels Technology or even the same?

Not really this uses stem cells where as replicel uses cultured dermal papilla cells. I guess this could be likened to a hair transplant via injection.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
thats not even the same guy

That's what gets me in so many of these studies. They purport to be scientific yet the ticket to be a participant in a trial should be "You will shave your damn hair to 1/8" long before we start and at each evaluation during the entire period"! And it is easy as sh*t to make a template and gauge the position of the camera lens and angle. Then, progress and results would be obvious and objective. Jeez!

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
This is something Cole sent out a few months ago. I'm sure it's not the same thing.

Our Methodology

We produce follicle stem cells by taking nine to fifteen follicular units from your donor area, removing the hair shaft, and then turning the entire complex into stem cells through mechanical means. We are enclosing a photograph of a woman treated one month previously with her own follicle stem cells.

Advances in Adipose Stem Cells
We recently developed a method to harvest adipose stem cells from hair-bearing skin. The secret? Harvesting from the shallower areas. Adipocytes are lipocytes or shallow "fat cells" that enhance energy storage.

How? Lipocytes are far more likely to carry regenerative growth cells for hair follicles. The shallower, the better. This alternative is proving itself to maximize regeneration. Such advances encourage more regeneration than any other method across the world.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
The rub is still that these cells would still need to be cultured in order to produce satisfactory results.

And as soon as you introduce culturing to the treatment you have to take the treatment through FDA trials.

JimmyB

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The rub is still that these cells would still need to be cultured in order to produce satisfactory results.

And as soon as you introduce culturing to the treatment you have to take the treatment through FDA trials.

The best thing Trump could do is eliminate some of the FDA hurdles...

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
The best thing Trump could do is eliminate some of the FDA hurdles...

I hate to admit it but I agree with you. He might actually help people in that one regard.

Why do cultured human cells have to go through long FDA trials anyway? Cultured cells are exact copies of cells that were taken from inside of human beings so of course they aren't toxic to humans. I do understand that there's concern about the medium that the cells are cultured in, but aren't the cultured cells washed thoroughly to eliminate the medium before the cells are injected into patients?

Last edited:

JimmyB

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hate to admit it but I agree with you. He might actually help people in that one regard.

Why do cultured human cells have to go through long FDA trials anyway? Cultured cells are exact copies of cells that were taken from inside of human beings so of course they aren't toxic. I do understand that there's concern about the medium that the cells are cultured in, but aren't the cultured cells washed thoroughly to eliminate the medium before the cells are injected into patients?

Does "cultured" always mean cloned? Can't they also be altered somehow? If so, I could understand the concern that they'd have an adverse effect if they went haywire.