First I got a replacement system. Then I found this forum.

grange

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have wanted to do FUE for a while now but life got in the way. Finally as the pandemic calmed down earlier this year I was at a time and place where I could get it done. But the feedback I received from doctors was discouraging based on how much hair loss I've had and not having enough donor hairs.

I never really thought about a hair system but then I read about someone's experience with one and I decided, why not? I found a salon nearby that would do my first system for me and I went for it. It was basically on a whim. I do wish I had found this forum first because I would have asked better questions and perhaps have a better idea of what to ask for. Other than an initial consultation at the salon, that was basically the extent of my initial research. DUMB. But I figured, what the hell.

I'm showing my results. My feeling is apparently a lot like what every other man on this forum has gone through. I look in the mirror and can't believe how stupid and fake it looks. I put my face up close to the mirror and I can see the difference in color and texture between the system and my own hair. I feel like everybody who looks at me knows I have a fake hair helmet on my head. BUT my wife says it looks good. We went out to dinner with friends who have almost entirely seen me while wearing a cap over the past year and they didn't notice it was fake. Or if they did, they didn't say. The woman complimented me with "nice hair!" The perception of others compared to my own is pretty amusing.

I'm not thrilled with the hairline. What do you think? I asked for something age appropriate (58) and to me, this look is not it. My wife, however, says it just looks like I have a healthy head of hair. I think to myself, "she doesn't know what she's talking about!" :)

I can see the black poly perimeter of the hairpiece when I look closely in the mirror. Does that mean it's too low on my head? Should I brush the hair forward like bangs to hide it better?

My own hair is pretty thin and especially near the temples, it's more black ash. The system (American Hairlines Natural Advantage Air Lite 350, 30mm) is more brownish ash than black, I think. Although my natural hair, on top, was much lighter than the sideburns and probably not as much grey, either. The system hair is way thicker than my own. The differences are giving me some feelings of insecurity about making public appearances, especially with people who know me. I'm helped though because we moved to a new city last year and most people here have only seen me with both a mask and a hat or cap!

I'd greatly appreciate some candid feedback from the forum.

20211127_133843.jpg
20211127_133857.jpg
20211127_133850.jpg

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it looks good, especially for a first system. Yes, the hairline is SLIGHTLY straight/dense, but I can tell you now that the only person who clocks it is you. Perhaps you can get the salon to thin it a bit. What's your base material?

You certainly don't look like you're wearing a helmet of hair!

grange

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really appreciate the feedback. The base material according to the promotion material is "fine lace" and a thin polyurethane perimeter. I'll ask the salon to thin it out a bit when I go back on Wednesday -- had to schedule a follow-up because the tape they used isn't holding very tight on me.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Grange and welcome to the forum.
I think it looks great, seriously. Grey hair is much forgiving ( for blending with bio) Colorwise, no problem., density looks good. I can see the base at the hairline, so brushing a bit forward on forehead could help if it really bothers you. You mention< black poly perimeter < can you elaborate ?? poly should be clear/transparent...
So, in general, great cut, fit you well. congrats

grange

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Grange and welcome to the forum.
I think it looks great, seriously. Grey hair is much forgiving ( for blending with bio) Colorwise, no problem., density looks good. I can see the base at the hairline, so brushing a bit forward on forehead could help if it really bothers you. You mention< black poly perimeter < can you elaborate ?? poly should be clear/transparent...
So, in general, great cut, fit you well. congrats
You're right, it's transparent. I was looking at the knots and the straight line of my new hairline fooled me. Thanks very much for the response! I can't wait until I can look in the mirror and not see someone with a fur hat staring back at me :)

Your avatar appears closer to what I expected/hoped for from the salon.

Cruise21

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pros: The color / grey percentage looks really good and the blends on the sides are nice.
Cons: You're right about the hairline. It's too dense. It's rare for a guy in his late 50s to have front hair so dense that there isn't even a hint of scalp showing through- something that adds a lot of realism to a system. It's also a little too straight across into the temples and there's no illusion of the hair actually coming out of your scalp like is possible with a lace or thin skin front.

You're on the right track and it's great your wife is supportive-- so don't be discouraged but the reality is these things have a learning curve and it takes time to iron out issues and get an even better look.

grange

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're on the right track and it's great your wife is supportive-- so don't be discouraged but the reality is these things have a learning curve and it takes time to iron out issues and get an even better look.
Very kind of you! Kind of funny but I didn't tell the wife beforehand what I was doing...just told her I was going for my makeover for our Italy trip as we're scheduled to leave soon for Rome and Sicily! I really appreciate your putting into words what I need to bring up when I go back Wednesday for a few tweaks. Thanks!

grange

My Regimen
Reaction score
Picture after Round 2 at the salon today. I really appreciate the feedback, guys. I knew exactly what to ask for. It feels much, much better and more comfortable. @AxC123 @jimlad @Cruise21

Attachments

• 20211130_162718.jpg
    20211130_162718.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 166

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will chime in and also say that there is way too much density for you, less dense would be perfect, the color match is excellent, not a huge fan of the 90s hair. Just me.

grange

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will chime in and also say that there is way too much density for you, less dense would be perfect, the color match is excellent, not a huge fan of the 90s hair. Just me.
Thank you. Yes, I'm going to move to a custom piece and also see if I can purchase a less dense piece for the next install until that's ready in the meantime. But 90's? Damn I was thinking it looked more 15th century Fiorentini. (I part my bio hair on the left but the stylist just did a messy look.) I think what I received is medium density...I took what I could get bc inventory was not great. What density do you think I need? The one I received also has a fairly think poly edge so the extra density probably helps hide sight of the edge...I am thinking thin skin is what I'll try next.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The impact of the density could be lessened if you grew your sides out a bit more. I find that this is something I prefer to do with my style (pics available on previous posts).

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, I'm going to move to a custom piece and also see if I can purchase a less dense piece for the next install until that's ready in the meantime. But 90's? Damn I was thinking it looked more 15th century Fiorentini. (I part my bio hair on the left but the stylist just did a messy look.) I think what I received is medium density...I took what I could get bc inventory was not great. What density do you think I need? The one I received also has a fairly think poly edge so the extra density probably helps hide sight of the edge...I am thinking thin skin is what I'll try next.

We start most men out on Medium-light. Very few really need medium. We have some on light.

grange

My Regimen
Reaction score
We start most men out on Medium-light. Very few really need medium. We have some on light.
Okay I double checked and what I received is medium light. However, my bio hair is toward the fine and thin spectrum. And the Indian hair on the system is as far from fine & thin as I could imagine.

When you say "we" who is we? If you have it in your profile it's not accessible to me.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay I double checked and what I received is medium light. However, my bio hair is toward the fine and thin spectrum. And the Indian hair on the system is as far from fine & thin as I could imagine.

When you say "we" who is we? If you have it in your profile it's not accessible to me.
It may be worth trying European hair.
If the diameter of your natural hair, is smaller than that of Indian hair, less density will not be the best action to fix the issue. It would likely appear as coarse hair that's sparse and thinning.

I'm waiting for the European color wheel, so that I may select a color and order my 1st European hair system.

Last edited:

grange

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where'd you order from, may I ask?

It took you awhile, or so it seems (?) to switch or try European hair. I'd love to hear more.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Where'd you order from, may I ask?

It took you awhile, or so it seems (?) to switch or try European hair. I'd love to hear more.
LaVivid..... covid threw everything for a loop. They don't make stock .03 poly with European hair. The only option is custom, which basically was non existent for the last year and a half+.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

Indian hair is always processed, so in a good system it will closely resemble finer, European hair. If that is still TOO coarse, you will need to get a custom system from a company that can offer you authentic, virgin, European hair, which will cost more.

We, as in my company. I do NOT advertise on here, as it is against the rules to solicit business, I only mention it because I am a hair systems professional.

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Other than being a little too unrealistically thick on the front/hairline I think it looks fantastic. Like me (I'm 4 years younger than you) you clearly have a youngish face with pretty clear skin enabling you to rock a relatively young hairstyle without it looking fake.

hairhelp777

My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually think it looks good - maybe a bit dense - but still good, which is one of the key factors in getting a system imo (rather than looking like you're balding but not yet bald).