first FUE, you can only hope you made the right choice in time

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a tip that might be helpful. Be vigil about how much sun exposure you get. With your scalp still healing beneath your short hair, you definitely don't want to add sun burn to your preexisting list of malefactors.:sun:

yeah, Ive been staying out of the sun. Its been pretty sub par weather here anyway and I have been doing a lot of indoor work lately. Im starting to look a little too pasty for my own good. Might wrap a towel around the head and hit a tan bed for a bit

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
What did the Doctor think of your hair at the 3 month mark?

Well I had some transected hairs in the back donor area which my immune system was trying overly hard to push out. I sat there for like 30 mins why he took itty bitty forceps and poked in each little bump and removed the dead follicle. I read about this online so its wasnt a super surprise to me. Im starting to think I should just be doing these procedures at this point.

Anyway he says normally the body just pushes them out in time but for some reason my immune system was attacking them overly aggressively. The area already feels better and there is now at least a little scab in place of the bump and its not as sensitive to touch, so hopefully it heals quick so I can get a real hair cut again.

As for my recipient area. Its still thin and Im losing more hairs very aggressively for some reason. Could be the use of the topical finasteride causing some shedding plus allergies and the summer starting.
He swears he is seeing the start of some fine hairs coming in. Occasionally in the right light I think I see them but Im still worried due to my issue I had with my body attacking the new hairs after transferring. Im still afraid the follicles were killed or rejected. He says it could take 6 months before anything is positive and we can do another procedure but seriously if my body rejected the hairs once it will just do it again so why put myself through that again.

Im just trying to remain somewhat positive and hope for the best. I dont know why my immune system is so hyperactive.

maher

Banned
Reaction score
. Could be the use of the topical finasteride causing some shedding plus allergies and the summer starting.
He swears he is seeing the start of some fine hairs coming in. Occasionally in the right light I think I see them but Im still worried due to my issue I had with my body attacking the new hairs after transferring. Im still afraid the follicles were killed or rejected. He says it could take 6 months before anything is positive and we can do another procedure but seriously if my body rejected the hairs once it will just do it again so why put myself through that again.

Im just trying to remain somewhat positive and hope for the best. I dont know why my immune system is so hyperactive.

Allergies? interesting.. Overactive immune system. Immunureactive mast cells on your scalp in "override." You could try taking some antihistamines (cetrizine) for week or so..It could help.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think his Doctor doesn't want to admit that he screwed up. But that's just how I see it.

I would agree but really I dont think he did. I hear stories about docs who screwed up and they usually break off contact with the patient when problems arise. This guy is always in range and responsive. Plus hes still super confident it will grow, and says he will fix it no problem.

plus all the issues with the recipient site were in the completely bald areas. The thinner areas with hair were fine. But time will tell I guess. Ill have to take those actions when i come to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Allergies? interesting.. Overactive immune system. Immunureactive mast cells on your scalp in "override." You could try taking some antihistamines (cetrizine) for week or so..It could help.

not a bad idea really. Technically I have asthma and allergies. Both are caused by overactive immune systems. Ill try to grab anti histamines.

badwabbit

Reaction score
I would agree but really I don't think he did. I hear stories about docs who screwed up and they usually break off contact with the patient when problems arise. This guy is always in range and responsive. Plus hes still super confident it will grow, and says he will fix it no problem.

plus all the issues with the recipient site were in the completely bald areas. The thinner areas with hair were fine. But time will tell I guess. Ill have to take those actions when i come to it.

So question, if you would have to do a fix or have another transplant later on down the road would you use the same Doctor? I was looking into hair transplant...until I found this thread. No but seriously I'm not sure about it and what started my whole "obsession" if you will is when I saw one of those Bosley commercials where Joey Fatone from N'Sync (looks like he's actually the face of their website http://www.bosley.com/ now)was on there talking about how he had a hair transplant done by them. There are just so many options I have no clue which way to go. Oh heck...maybe I should just embrace my baldness and shave the rest of it...

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
You shouldn't make your choice of hair transplant surgeon because a famous person went to him. Beware of the hype, celebrities are known to use concealers all the time.

I'll save you the pain of searching, here are the names and countries you should consider to do your transplant:

Belgium (Feriduni, ********, Mwama, Devroye, De Reys), US (Feller, Shapiro, Wesley, Umar), Turkey (*********, Erdogan).

This is it, there are other surgeons but these are the big names. Do not take this decision lightly and don't try to save a few bucks on this surgery.

If you're worried about the cost, opt for Turkey or Belgium, we were pioneers in cheaper FUE's.

Swingline should of course chose another Doctor for an eventual second hair transplant.

at this point I think Im really starting to see something. Only time will tell, if I have to go for a second to fill in I will have to go with the same guys as they already said they would just do it and in a few months Im sure more of this will start thickening up and not look so bad. Doesnt look "bad" now, just doesnt look "there" but again the more i read the more i find 3 months is very early to tell. My redness was pretty normal, where some people said it last 5+ months and depending on the state of dormancy where follicles were taken the regrowth could look spuratic until it all evens out.

If I have to have him fix anything Im DEF going for body hair.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
MAIN ORIGINAL POST UPDATED AS WELL

Well from Feb 13th 2014 to today (June 2nd here is some updated progress pics)

You can see some of the new hairs. These things literally sprouted overnight. This is just the temples because you cant see anything in the center due to existing hairs but theyre there.

You can see the super thick pubie looking ones that snuck up on me and even the (hopefully) beginning of the VERY fine ones between ready to bulk up.

Im keeping in touch with the Doctor and fingers crossed that it just keeps coming.
If this works Im already looking at filling in the crown in another year or so when this is paid and my finances are better (technically it is paid but Im cheap as ****e)

Saw today how bad my crown is. Now all I Can think about is hoping this FUE comes in full blast to have the other area fixed. Im so damn depressed.

update :6/23/14
Okay, just adding to this post so I dont bump my thread.

Noticed my bridging from my front to my crown has been getting smaller, whether this is the FUE coming in, the topical finasteride or both I dont know but I like it!

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, going in the 16th

Im not actually getting the growth I thought but its still early (6 months). My right temple is much less populated still but getting thicker.

I actually have like 2 transected ingrowns still there the Doctor has to remove that keep bugging me. Thats probably the worst part.

Planned on updating after the 6 month visit.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to update this.

So far I just went for my 6 months and I wanted to ask him for the pre/after pics but forgot. Even my GF who came with me can see the difference which is nice cause when you watch it come through over time its hard to tell.
I still have quite a bit to go though. A lot of my hairs are still really thin. We can see them but they just arent there yet. He even put the area under the scope and you can see fine little mult hairs popping through still. Don't know why it's taking so long for them all.
My right temple is still a bit questionable but he isn't worried and can touch it up. He would have scheduled me right there but all 3 of us decided to wait a year for better results first.

I would take some pics myself but its pretty tough.

Perhaps Ill take some wet pics tonight since I think somewhere on this forum or my blog there is a wet pic of me during my rolling phase. Just kind of peetered out on that.

Receding

Reaction score
New to this forum, so I'm sorry if this question is kinda "durr" but, why would it take 6months to regrow hair after a transplant? If they are implanting follicles to make that balding part of your scalp be able to grow hair naturally then it usually takes far less than 6 months to grow hair "naturally". Let's say it does start to finally grow to a normal amount, if you get a full haircut on the entire head will that part take just as long to grow back again? As in you have to wait 1 year for it to grow? And in the mean time the rest of your hair will have had to be cut every few weeks or so? As it is now, while you've waited 6 months to get hair in the recipient area, are you still getting haircuts for the rest of the hair that's growing naturally?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
New to this forum, so I'm sorry if this question is kinda "durr" but, why would it take 6months to regrow hair after a transplant? If they are implanting follicles to make that balding part of your scalp be able to grow hair naturally then it usually takes far less than 6 months to grow hair "naturally". Let's say it does start to finally grow to a normal amount, if you get a full haircut on the entire head will that part take just as long to grow back again? As in you have to wait 1 year for it to grow? And in the mean time the rest of your hair will have had to be cut every few weeks or so? As it is now, while you've waited 6 months to get hair in the recipient area, are you still getting haircuts for the rest of the hair that's growing naturally?

The intial regrowth takes a few months because after the new hairs are planted they grow for a couple weeks then shock and fall out (95% of the time). Then they go into a small shocked resting phase for a couple weeks/months before they start regrowing again. They almost start over from scratch so new hairs start off very fine and thin before rebuilding thickness and length.
This is why it could take a year to a year and a HALF to actually see full results.

Yes you also just keep getting your hair cut normally after the initial healing is done.

Receding

Reaction score
After a year and a half to let it regrow, if you cut it off does it then take a year and a half to regrow again? Or is it just the first regrowth phase and then after that it grows like normal again?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
After a year and a half to let it regrow, if you cut it off does it then take a year and a half to regrow again? Or is it just the first regrowth phase and then after that it grows like normal again?

no after the full maturity of the hairs they grow like normal. Also know hairs shed and regrow in cycles differently. When you shed your head doesnt go bald then come back. So depending on the cycle of the hair taken it could take longer for particular ones to sprout and mature.

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
no after the full maturity of the hairs they grow like normal. Also know hairs shed and regrow in cycles differently. When you shed your head doesnt go bald then come back. So depending on the cycle of the hair taken it could take longer for particular ones to sprout and mature.

How are things? How many hairs came through? I had a botch-job hair transplant in Thailand (Dr. Prasert Seesillapachai, Yanhe International Hospital, 2000 grafts via FUT-method. I also suffer from diffused thinning) back in December, 2013. The angles of the grafts are terrible, the placement of the hairline too low and utterly lacking any artistic/aesthetic sense, whatsoever. And the density is poor as well. Don't ever consult that mad doctor, ever!!! I will be venturing to Belgium to consult and have repair with Dr. Feriduni this July.

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen your pictures. You don't suffer from diffuse thinning.

It's not that you don't consult with a "mad doctor", it's just that you shouldn't even consider a doctor if he's not called Feller, Shapiro, ******** etc.

A know name you've seen countless times on internet forums and who have produced a lot of constantly amazing results.

Prasert Seesillapachai? Who the hell is that?

Haha, you're absolutely right. Who the hell is Prasert Seesillapachai!? I was very vulnerable and desperate back then. He saw that, and paved way for a hair transplant to fill his wallet. Horrible time in my life. I didn't really need a hair transplant back then, (still my temples had receded and I had wispy, ugly looking hairs in the front part of my hairline) but I sure do now, to fix the mess that idiot doctor caused. If I do not have diffuse thinning, what then? My hair is quite a bit thinner on top than on the sides and the back. When wet, I can see my scalp very clearly, but not that much when it is dry and if I style it correctly. Do you have any personal opinion on Dr. Feriduni or experience? He produces constantly good results it looks, with many patient reviews. He is also a member of the IAHRS, and recommended on several forums.

TheMirrorOfDreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Feriduni is indeed one of the best.

Let your hair grow, you think you have diffuse thinning because it's short.

If Dr. Feriduni turns me down in consultation and tells me to wait, then that is what I will do. Then I will grow it out, use concealer and wait, as tough as it may be. But so far he said he saw no reason not to. But I am sure after having spoken with me and examined my scalp, his opinion will change a bit, for the "better or worse". What do you think about only moving the grafts that have already been used further up (maybe add some beard grafts for coverage) and create a much higher hairline, without the use of new grafts from the back (at least not that many, few as possible)? That way I could preserve (if it is enough) the grafts I have left fix the ugly hairline. The scarring puts me off, of course, but not enough not to go through with it.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
well most will think I made this thread and forgot about it. Hell even I did.

As most will see I had a BAD experience with my first hair transplant. Somehow I ended up with folliculitis in the temples and pretty much nothing grew. So how ever many hairs and time gone down the pooper. The Doctor (Tan) was awesome though and communicates super great and is willing to see you on the drop of a DIME and can really put you at ease. I never had a bad thing to say about him. Me and my GF actually have a long running joke about him sitting around in a smoking jacket on a huka everytime I would email or call.

Anyway on the year visit he said "let's schedule for a second to see what happened and fix this".

As apprehensive as I was I jumped in because what could I lose? Well lot's I guess.

Anyway we did the procedure with about 500-600 grafts to fill in the dead spots. After wards there was some grafting left over and we threw them in the crown area because we weren't throwing them out and he didnt want to stuff any more in the temples and cram to much causing problems. Fair enough since Ive read over density in one sitting can cause shock.
It was maybe 100-150 in the crown so not enough to really "do anything" but I wanted to make sure I wouldnt have any reactions there for future filling.

Anyway I was feeling disappointed once again come my first 3 month checkup on the second time around since it didnt seem like anything was coming in still. I had no adverse affects this time around which was nice. The only difference I could say it I am on some extremely high anti histamines now for severe allergies since I had major sinus surgery the August Prior. It keeps my immune system in check so I dont get my quarterly sinus infections. My thought process is my immune system is more stable now and the hair transplant didnt make my body attack the transplanted hairs like it appeared last time.
Again this is a lot of self research and theory. Some of the Docs input to.

Well after the visit he stated "looks great", and was like "are you on meth?" (well not out loud). He said he could see lots of small new hair coming through. The only way I would verify this is because this time around I had lots of new hair bumps in the temple region and even the crown. I was still worried but just took his word for it.

One thing I did that made it really hard to accept was that I decided to shave my head about 2 weeks before the check up so we could really see how it all looked. I could REALLY see the thinning and bald spots and this threw me into such a spiral of depression I didnt think I would ever get out. Watching my hair grow back diffuse and awkward was horrible to almost wrist slitting proportions. On top of that EVERYONE EVERYWHERE let me know that they hated the shaved look on me. Except of course the like 3 old guys with shaved heads at work..... oh joy!

It seemed about 4 weeks later I woke up one morning and it was like BAM HAIR.

Now this isnt dense thick lush hair like my brother but it also isnt depressing no hair like me prior. Its a friggin hairline! I will say I dont think I have EVER had an actual hairline. Its noticeable and looks.... dare I say.. decent?! Its also said that it takes a year for this to come 100% so this is just the 4 months fill in and Im a bit excited to see if any more comes in. Im also wondering if the folliculitis and shock may have stunted growth of the first hair transplant and some may even be that finally starting to be noticable..... yeah I know high hopes.

Either way Im feeling pretty good. Even the crown seems to look better now that hair is growing back and even the new ones are thickening. If anyone saw my crown pic a few weeks ago they can attest to the all time LOW I was in. I have a crown pic today but it was under horrible light so Im not posting it. In fact this hairline pic was under the same HORRIBLE light and it looks this much better. In the right lighting you would think I never experienced real hair loss.

All I can say Is I FINALLY think I made the right choice. Yes it was money spent but it was money hard earned as well.

All I can say to guys who fall into it to deep is get out, get a job, make enough money to try something.

cropped.jpg

There was one thing I REALLY wanted when I started this. It was to NEVER comb my hair forward over my temples and that connecting line again to cover the fact that I had that "island of hair" in the front. I will hopefully never have to do that again because right now its a GREAT feeling combing the temples BACK and parted to the side. Also in this pic my hair is NO WHERE NEAR as long as it ever was. My hair is MAYBE 1.5 inches long from after shaving.