Finisteride horny help

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
It is 37 days on proscar 1.25 mg and i am more horny then before treatment is this normal and how long Will it be like this till it gets to normal range ?

Mendel

Reaction score
I'm 32 days in on proscar too and am dealing with the same issue, not that it's an issue, it's great. I don't expect it will last forever but i'm just grateful iv none of the negative effects thus far.
I was going to wait it out longer to see if anything changes before posting my first question but since you've created this thread i'm going to ask it now, hoping some of the more experienced users might have an answer.
We all know about the small percentage of finasteride users who experience negative sides but is it possible for finasteride to have some major health benefits for some individuals (hair aside)?

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
I have read it can be hypo do you have more acne more oil in face ??. IF it is hypo that can destroy hairline

patchyrodent

Reaction score
Being more horny than normal is a problem how, again?

The solution: :jackit: a few more times a day than usual.

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
It is 37 days on proscar 1.25 mg and i am more horny then before treatment is this normal and how long Will it be like this till it gets to normal range ?

I have this same issue! I honestly thought that the pills weren't working because of all the talk about it killing libido. I don't there's anything to it. If you don't mind, can you explain hypo in greater detail please? I'm four months into finasteride and I feel that my hairline has gotten worse; I've also had minor acne flare ups at times

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
Dr Proctor answers: Shedding that occurs before about 2-4 months after starting a treatment was of hair that was already in the loss phase when you started. That is, such hair shedding is just coincidental or due to early fallout of loss-phase hair as follicles come out of dormancy under the influence of a hair-growth-stimulator. This hair was about to fall out anyway.
Not that hair loss due to reflex hyperandrogenicity doesn't occasionally happen with Finasteride. However, Finasteride (Propecia) differentially "protects" hair follicles. Thus, enough reflex hyproandrogenicity to exacerbate balding is very likely to be associated with other hyperandrogenic symptoms such as increased libido, skin oiliness, etc. In the absence of these, I consider it unlikely. So you can rest reasonably easily. I hope....
Peter H Proctor, PhD, MD

regrowth....

- - - Updated - - -

Common 300 views no answer can The veterans come out and tell IF this is normal or we should be worried

- - - Updated - - -

What exactly is reflex hyperandrogenicity and what causes it? Is it when the androgen receptors become more sensitive to DHT or is it an increase in overall testosterone that negatively impacts the follicles. Also, should a topical antiandrogen counter this effect?
Dr Proctor Answers: Reflex hyperandrogenicity is caused by a combination of increased testosterone and increased tissue sensitivity to male sex hormones ( androgens ). The latter is cause at least partially by an increase in the numbers of androgen receptors. Whether the receptors also get more sensitive is not clear, but seems likely.
Reflex hyperandrogenicity is proportional to the strength of an antiandrogen. It limits the use of antiandrogens in (e.g.) treatment of prostate cancer and is why most such patients get castrated.Because the action of Finasteride is mostly limited to tissues where type-2 5-AR is the important source of androgenic activity, it elicits less reflex hyperandrogenicity than other antiandrogens when used to treat hair loss or prostate enlargement. So this is usually not limiting in hair loss-treatment, at least in the short run. It may even help minimize side-effects such as libido decrease during the use iof finasteride for hair loss. Whether this is also true for Dutasteride ( which blocks both type-1 and type-2 5 Alphareductases ) is not clear yet. And yes, topical antiandrogens such as spironolactone, which do not elicit the increase in testosterone, are likely helpful.
Peter H Proctor, PhD, MD

hair regrowth....

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Janekoman12, thank you for the response and link bro! To be honest, I wasn't really aware of this. I plan on doing some research into the subject before I head back to my dermatologist. I'm hoping that I'm just experiencing the standard 4-month finasteride shed. I still get good coverage up front and along the hairline when my hair isn't spiked or saturated, and I certainly do not want to jeopardize that. Thanks again man!

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
NP bro i am in The same boat as you come back and tell If The shed is gone and how The derm went mate

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's the increase in testosterone. It will most likely subside.