finesteride, minoxidil- heart symtoms?

canikeepit

Reaction score
I've been taking minoxidil and finesteride for about the same amount of time now-about three weeks.

The past week I've been having pains in my heart and chest. They're sort of sharp pains that just pop up now and then. I've never heard of this symtom for either minoxidil or finesteride. Has anybody here heard of, or experienced anything similar from either of these drugs.

P.s. I will be seeing my Doctor tommorow

canikeepit

Reaction score
oh yeah and just to add,

I'm using 1.25 mg of finesteride, and it is the authentic merck proscar; the minoxidil is generic but it is from a credible drugstore. Lastly, I am twenty and in good overall health... I hope.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It is probably the Minoxidil. When I first started taking it, my heart would race and I would get headaches. My body has since adjusted to it. You may want to try using it just 1x/day for a while to see if your body can adjust. If those pains continue, I would stop taking it and/or go see a doctor.

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
canike,

The minoxidil is not causing your chest pains. If anything minoxidil would be relieving them. If you are having chest pains, you should note what you are doing when you have them, and what you have to do for the pain to go away. There are many things that cause chest pain, including GERD, but now might be a good time to see the Doctor about it.

D

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
maddoc23 said:
The minoxidil is not causing your chest pains. If anything minoxidil would be relieving them.
Really? I'm not questioning this, but I am curious as to the science behind it.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... 82608.html

Minoxidil may increase chest pain (angina) or cause other heart problems. It is important that you keep all appointments with your doctor so that you can be monitored for any symptoms or changes. If chest pain occurs or worsens while you are taking this medication, call your doctor immediately. Your doctor may prescribe other medicines as part of your minoxidil therapy. Do not stop taking these medications unless your doctor tells you to do so.

There you go!

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh that was for Oral finasteride... so I would suppose that topical finasteride would have some what milder effects..

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You mean Minoxidil, not Finasteride :wink:

But thats a good source,. they do list sides for topical minoxidil too..

Although side effects from minoxidil are not common, they can occur. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

scalp itching, dryness, scaling, flaking, irritation, or burning
If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

weight gain
swelling of the face, ankles, hands, or stomach
difficulty breathing (especially when lying down)
rapid heartbeat
chest pain
lightheadedness

So there it is, right there. Topical Minoxidil can cause chest pain.

canikeepit

Reaction score
cool! thanks guys. I'm glad to know that it is probably the minoxidil because that means I can adjust the dose. or, if I have to quit, I'd be much more willing to let the minoxidil go then the finasteride.