Finesteride in the UK

rj2000

Reaction score
Hi All

I wanted to post a topic about my experience in obtaining Finesteride in the UK in the hope it will help others.

I decided I wanted to get on finasteride to try and stop my hair thinning, I don't have major hair loss and can cover it quite well but I was sure it will get worse one day.

Like a lot of people I searched the forum and got more confused as so many people have their own experiences to tell. I nearly purchased from an online pharmacy as I thought it was the easy option but at the last minute thought would book an appointment with my local GP.

I went to see the GP and explained that I wanted to try propecia, I have also been suffering from an itchy scale for around 2 years so the doctor was aware of the problems. As I had read that this can be associated with loosing hair I asked to give it a try to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

My GP wanted to look into this further, however this was only to look into the association with my itchy scalp and propecia helping.

I went back to see him a few days later as agreed and he explained he would be happy to prescribe Propecia on a private perscription. I explained it would be cheaper to use generic Finesteride and for me to cut into fifths. He agreed to do this and explained the table needs to be cut as close as I can.

I then got my private prescription and thought I would need to shop around for the best deal, the doctor advised to go to the local chemist in our village so tried them first. I handed the prescription over and he said to call back in 10 mins and it would be ready. I went to the bank ready to get My hard earned ready and went back. The total amount I was charged was £5 yes that's right five pound, this was for 30 tablets ! So when cut up will give me 5 month supply, a total of £1 a month.

Like I say this was my experience and it's down to your GP but hope that's helped some others who are in the UK.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
great post! Im from the UK too and thought it'd cost much more than that! so I've been getting mine off online pharmacies- i paid about 60pound for a year supply. not bad i guess. i wouldn't want to have to cut the pills up and like the preformed 1mg.

j9y

Reaction score
Wow thats cheap, i would never of expected that. I havent even plucked the courage to go to my GP. Even though my hair is not THAT BAD. I feel my GP will fob me off as hes not that great in my local practice.

I just bought some fincar i think its called for £14 delivered for 30 tabs...still not bad huh? I probably wont take it now reading the shedding section of this forum lol!.

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would trust that.

I didn't even know you could get generic finasteride directly inside the UK?

I am too scared to get dodgy or pointless filler tablets so I bit the bullet and bought Propecia, which is about £30 a month.

rj2000

Reaction score
I was worried about getting real stuff online one month and fake the next. My GP was very understanding, he firstly said I didn't have male pattern baldness but when I showed him the temples he had a good look and said okay. He could do a script for propecia but I knew that would be around £25 a month so just asked him about the 5mg and that I could split them, he said as long as we document everything on my record then that is okay.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
just want to bump this so I can confirm that what the Original poster says is true, which I found out much to my amazement last week when I asked my GP for a private prescrip of generic finasteride 5mg.