Finateride Shedding In First Month. Normal?

Slash1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post here even though I've been reading the forum for quite a long time now.

I started Finateride 5 weeks ago and since week 3 I've been experiencing quite an important shedding which is really a pain...

Did anyone suffer shedding so early in the treatment?

And one question i was not able to find an answer for.... When does Finateride manage to stop hair loss? I mean, Finateride does not regrow new hair (usually) so when usually you notice your hair stops falling?

Thanks!

Last edited:

iCurly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had shedding the first two months, I mainly shed small hairs. I am currently 7 months in. , I would say my shedding overall gradually decreased from the 3 month mark , went from 100+ hairs in the shower to 60 to 40 and right now it is at 20 hairs maybe less when I shower:

Slash1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply!

I see you take 0.5 mg. Did you always take 0.5?

I personally started with 1mg but had to lower the dose due to the pain in the nuts.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're diffuse thinner you should shed very quickly. I started to shed after 2 weeks and there was noticeable about 200-300 hair in shower. After 1 month i had peach fuzz. And now, i am very thick and dense NW2.

Slash1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
No. No diffuse thinner. Just normal pattern baldness starting from the hairline.

I started with hair loss when I was 19 and it never stopped since then (since that age I've always lost 80/100 hairs daily, maybe more).

Now I'm 32 and my hairline has receeded a lot and I am thinning. I still have a good amount of hair though, but that's because when I was 18 I had "too much" hair.
I actually hated to have such amount of hair.... Now I miss it. :(

I'll post pictures later today so you can see.

iCurly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply!

I see you take 0.5 mg. Did you always take 0.5?

I personally started with 1mg but had to lower the dose due to the pain in the nuts.

Yes I started with 0.5 mg , just to see how I respond to it , since I have responded to the .5 mg well I am open to increasing the dose later if I need to. Also looking at your most recent post, I have a similar hair loss to you, mainly around the hairline but no diffuse thinning , which I think would be better for finasteride since it is rare (but possible) for finasteride to regrow your temples.

Slash1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Indeed.

Were you able to regrow hair on your hairline? I mean, where there was still some hair, obviously. For what I know Finasteride works only where there's still hair.

Slash1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all!

Well, I'm 2.5 month into Finasteride and I don't know what to think.

My left temple and hairline is noticeable less dense than before and I have lost at least one cm of hair in those areas but at the same time my overall hair is much more black and thick. It looks as with less hair I can cover more...

What is more, in the areas where I lost hair (hairline and left temple) I see lots of new hairs, not thin hair, actually really black and strong hair as hair on my beard. Really black and dense...

I don't know if I should quit this or not....my hairline has receded slowly in the last 5/6 year but know I've lots one cm in only one 2.5 months.

Looks like Finateride gave me a massive shock.

Should I quit. At this rate I will loose another cm in the next months ..

Anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks!

Gary Ferguson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello all!

Well, I'm 2.5 month into Finasteride and I don't know what to think.

My left temple and hairline is noticeable less dense than before and I have lost at least one cm of hair in those areas but at the same time my overall hair is much more black and thick. It looks as with less hair I can cover more...

What is more, in the areas where I lost hair (hairline and left temple) I see lots of new hairs, not thin hair, actually really black and strong hair as hair on my beard. Really black and dense...

I don't know if I should quit this or not....my hairline has receded slowly in the last 5/6 year but know I've lots one cm in only one 2.5 months.

Looks like Finateride gave me a massive shock.

Should I quit. At this rate I will loose another cm in the next months ..

Anyone experienced something similar?

Thanks!
Sounds as tho you are regrowing, you should post pictures though

Slash1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know Gregor. I am just telling what's doing to my hair.

I lost hair on the left temple and in the middle part of my hairline. I'm not saying it causes baldness, I'm saying it really made me lose hair, though, I do see dark hairs in the same areas I lost it.
I could think it's just finateride changing weak hairs for stronger ones but I don't know.

BRezende

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, you have incresead oil production in the skin? Acne? I get a massive shedding from finasteride, from the moment when I started until when I stopped. My situation just get worse. I think i get hyperandrogenic reflex from this. Now my last bet os RU554881 or another AA.. Sorry for the bad english, I'm Brazilian

Slash1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, you have incresead oil production in the skin? Acne? I get a massive shedding from finasteride, from the moment when I started until when I stopped. My situation just get worse. I think i get hyperandrogenic reflex from this. Now my last bet os RU554881 or another AA.. Sorry for the bad english, I'm Brazilian

No, no acné but my scalp, hair and forehead are way more oily than before ..

Slash1987

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, tomorrow I have an appointment with the dermatologist to see whether the oily scalp, forehead and nose it's normal or not.

For the past week I have to wash my face at least every 3 hours and my hair daily which I have not experienced since puberty.

After puberty and until 3 months ago my skin, scalp and hair was extremely dry (maybe too much, to the point it got tangled really easy).

I have read different opinions, ones saying their skin got dry and others saying it got oily, does not make much sense too me.

Still no side effects.

I'll let you guys know what the dermatologist says tomorrow.

Ps. Any blood exams should I asked her?

Take care!