Finastride Is Demotivating Me - 6 Months In

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dude are you drunk?

You have excellent hair, stop freaking out. If you're 35, you probably have better hair than 90% of the world

You're not losing any significant amount of hair. You have very minor recession. You can get a transplant done maybe when you're 45 and you'll still have better hair than 95% of the world

Why are people giving this guy serious replies?
He does have good thick hair but once your hair starts getting defuse then it doesn't take long at any age to disappear for good. A hair transplant is no substitute for keeping your original hair.

brahmabull117

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He does have good thick hair but once your hair starts getting defuse then it doesn't take long at any age to disappear for good. A hair transplant is no substitute for keeping your original hair.

he is a Norwood 1.5, he is not losing any hair

You guys need to stop this nonsense with people with near perfect hair

Seriously OP, 95% of this forum would murder a baby kitten to have your hair at 35. Go find something more productive to do with your time than worrying about a 1/100th of an inch recession on your hairline

Last edited:

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any before pics of when your hairline was not thinning? He's indeed thinning but not aggressive and, not perfect, but is also not that bad yet. You're the norm for your age, thinning on the hairline. It looks like you caught it in time as your temples in the process of miniaturization and thinning. I think it's mentioned, you may want to give dustasteride a try, but be warned of the higher chance of sides.

brahmabull117

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any before pics of when your hairline was not thinning? He's indeed thinning but not aggressive and, not perfect, but is also not that bad yet. You're the norm for your age, thinning on the hairline. It looks like you caught it in time as your temples in the process of miniaturization and thinning. I think it's mentioned, you may want to give dustasteride a try, but be warned of the higher chance of sides.

he's not thinning at all. Super minor recession on temples is common even for NW1s at that age. He has near perfect hair

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just posted in another thread but Brahmabul I tried to take your advice but it's not any better.

So I'm still in the same situation where I feel my hair is getting worse.

As mentioned I went onto Finastride about 6 months ago. 3 months in, it felt good. But not at the 6 month mark I really can see/feel that my hairline is thinning and it's not even straight anymore. Initially the problem was my temple, now I feel it's going into my hairline quite badly.

I try not to look to much at my hair, so I just looked at it actually a week since I last looked it, and it feel worse. There is no way I can wear my hair up, I have to always wear it to a side and slightly down.

My regime is Finastride 1 a day, 1mg.

Minoxidil Foam based, twice a day.

Shampoo's nothing special. I do use Nizoral twice a week.

6 months into Finastride with this type of look and feeling, is this normal, should I try my best just to stay on it and see it out for 9 months?

I'm pretty sure that in the last 2-3 weeks I've experience some form of shedding. Even if I just run my hands through my hair it feels very fragile in the sense alot of small hairs just start falling out.

-

I've been contemplating some sort of transplant to fix this once and for all, I am 34. But I've been told by some they can fix it with a small front surgery and then I've been told by some that transplant is not advisable at this stage and to see out the Finastride.

Rather than improving and stablising it feels like it is only a matter of time where suddenly it's going to effect me badly :(

Attachments

• IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_2146.JPG
    IMG_2146.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 351

Scottio19

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks thick and has plenty volume mate, I understand your fear with the hairline as it is thinning but you should be staying on finasteride for at least 12 months to see how it does, sometimes 6 months isn't long enough to fully judge.

Transplant is a 50/50 because you could get the shock loss and I don't think your loss is anywhere near enough for that yet.

When I run my fingers through my hair after a shower I still get 6/10 hairs coming out.

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks thick and has plenty volume mate, I understand your fear with the hairline as it is thinning but you should be staying on finasteride for at least 12 months to see how it does, sometimes 6 months isn't long enough to fully judge.

Transplant is a 50/50 because you could get the shock loss and I don't think your loss is anywhere near enough for that yet.

When I run my fingers through my hair after a shower I still get 6/10 hairs coming out.

Thanks for the feedback Scottio, yes the hairline is definitely thinning which is my most worrying moment for in the 2 years since I spotted the hair issue.

I did message again today after 2 weeks to Dr. Harris (He's based in Nottingham seems to have a good rep on these forums) so he is saying the same as you too.

He wrote:
"It can take up to a year to see results. After 12 months, if you are still loosing hair then I'm afraid, finasteride is not for you and you would continue to loose hair.

If you had a transplant now, and if you were still loosing hair around the transplant, then you shall be in a very difficult position, and never be happy with your transplant.

My advice is to carry on taking finasteride (or may be go to 5mg and take a quarter daily), and then review in 6 months."

-

5mg sounds alot, I don't want to change my dosage that sounds kind of scary that he is advising that too :(

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

In an ideal world IF Finastride works, should it be in these areas I'm experiencing new thinning like the hairline, that new hairs should grow in its place slightly thicker/stronger?

It was just 2-3 months ago I was happy with my hair...it feels worse when it's really in this last month I've taken a big hit from no where

Scottio19

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Scottio, yes the hairline is definitely thinning which is my most worrying moment for in the 2 years since I spotted the hair issue.

I did message again today after 2 weeks to Dr. Harris (He's based in Nottingham seems to have a good rep on these forums) so he is saying the same as you too.

He wrote:
"It can take up to a year to see results. After 12 months, if you are still loosing hair then I'm afraid, finasteride is not for you and you would continue to loose hair.

If you had a transplant now, and if you were still loosing hair around the transplant, then you shall be in a very difficult position, and never be happy with your transplant.

My advice is to carry on taking finasteride (or may be go to 5mg and take a quarter daily), and then review in 6 months."

-

5mg sounds alot, I don't want to change my dosage that sounds kind of scary that he is advising that too :(

Yeah that's the advise I got. I am still losing hair after more than a year on fnasteride but it's still a whole lot better than before.

5mg is pointless IMO 1.25mg is the most I would go and if that's not working a lot of people seem to try Adovart (dutasteride) which seems more potent than finasteride and people on here have had great results with it when finasteride stops or isn't working so maybe that's an option?

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok thanks dude, really helpful info from you

When do I know or even think to say stop finasteride and hit something like dutasteride? To be honest I don't want to switch, I don't want to mess anything up further but if I have to then I would but only if it's clear one should do that

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok thanks dude, really helpful info from you

When do I know or even think to say stop finasteride and hit something like dutasteride? To be honest I don't want to switch, I don't want to mess anything up further but if I have to then I would but only if it's clear one should do that

I've read a lot about some people jumping on duta without dropping finasteride. Not sure what negative impact it has though

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This Dr. Harris wrote me this back as I asked him if he means increase the dose and I aslo asked what is Finastride going to do, regrow the hair's it sheds -

I don't really understand what he means by this message -

"Do not increase the dose. I suggested cutting a 5 mg tablet into four and take a quarter every day. Finasteride would not bring any hair back, but would keep the new hair for a longer duration."

brahmabull117

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just posted in another thread but Brahmabul I tried to take your advice but it's not any better.

So I'm still in the same situation where I feel my hair is getting worse.

As mentioned I went onto Finastride about 6 months ago. 3 months in, it felt good. But not at the 6 month mark I really can see/feel that my hairline is thinning and it's not even straight anymore. Initially the problem was my temple, now I feel it's going into my hairline quite badly.

I try not to look to much at my hair, so I just looked at it actually a week since I last looked it, and it feel worse. There is no way I can wear my hair up, I have to always wear it to a side and slightly down.

My regime is Finastride 1 a day, 1mg.

Minoxidil Foam based, twice a day.

Shampoo's nothing special. I do use Nizoral twice a week.

6 months into Finastride with this type of look and feeling, is this normal, should I try my best just to stay on it and see it out for 9 months?

I'm pretty sure that in the last 2-3 weeks I've experience some form of shedding. Even if I just run my hands through my hair it feels very fragile in the sense alot of small hairs just start falling out.

-

I've been contemplating some sort of transplant to fix this once and for all, I am 34. But I've been told by some they can fix it with a small front surgery and then I've been told by some that transplant is not advisable at this stage and to see out the Finastride.

Rather than improving and stablising it feels like it is only a matter of time where suddenly it's going to effect me badly :(

dude stop panicking over nothing, your hair is excellent

Do you think the rest of us who are telling you that you have great hair are lying to you?

90-99% of people have some level of minor recession. Very very few guys have truly straight perfect hairlines, especially at 35

All men get some level of recession as time goes on. Did you think you're gonna have a teenager like hairline when you're 80? jesus christ man. I would murder someone to have your hairline and your overall density. Stop worrying about this and move on with your life.

Last edited:

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't notice visible improvement from finasteride until the 7 month mark

Thinlizzy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I noticed results after about 11 months on finisteride. I’m 36 and it had a decent effect. No sides obvs (as 99.9% don’t) hang in there

londonhairlossvictim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guess that feels a bit more encouraging to see some of you got results after 6 months

But during the period before you got results, did you go through like what I am now where it's clear I can see thinning on my hairline too? In an ideal situation what is supposed to happen, it's pushing out the dead hair shafts so stronger ones can go in it's place? IS what what happened to some of you?