Finasteride...

luke77

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a quick question for those on this board that are knowledgeable about how finasteride "works" in the body. I discovered about 9 months ago that I was hypogonadal (which means my body's testosterone production had shut down). I had lost a significant amount of weight (I went through an exercise-related eating disorder) and had blamed the hypogonadism on this, but I was wondering if it could have been the finasteride because I know it works on hormones such as testosterone in the body. Actually I was on dudasteride for a while also (for about 9 months), although not at the same time as the finasteride. I started taking finasteride about 3 years ago, then replaced it with dudasteride about 1.5 years ago, then stopped both about 9 months ago. I have not hear of a link between either of these drugs and hypogonadism, but since sexual side effects, decreased body hair, etc. are associated with these drugs (and I experienced these side effects as well), I'm wondering if finasteride has ever been documented as causng hypogonadism. Thanks in advance for the help.

Luke

Stingray

Reaction score
Neither of these drugs will entirely cease Testosterone production in the body. They inhibit the action of the main enzyme that converts Testosterone into DHT. In fact, I don't think either drug has a direct impact with testosterone production at all.

It's more than likely a completely seperate issue altogether, but don't quote me on it.